Hidden Tiger Swallow Style Information

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Miles Prower » Wed May 26, 2004 5:06 pm

Awesome find as usual Lan ^^
The "Lan Di knows all these moves." comment is interesting. I guess Ryo recognised them as being the moves Lan Di used against Iwao.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby xatruio » Wed May 26, 2004 5:39 pm

cool finding and nice research
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby jrathbun05 » Wed May 26, 2004 6:31 pm

if frayed is correct about that style being what master chen and guixzhang practice, then the mysterious scroll from the dojo cant't be the one that finished off iwao, because quixzhang would have been able to tell ryo about it
jrathbun05
Master of the Three Blades

Postby jrathbun05 » Wed May 26, 2004 6:34 pm

actually as an afterthought to what i just said: i remeber quixzhang saying it was written in code (in the form of a poem) by the master of the move, and that is why he couldnt read the move. So i quess it is entirely possible for that move to be of his own style.
jrathbun05

Postby My Best Day is Gone » Wed May 26, 2004 7:01 pm

Maybe the scroll is totally useless then... if Ryo read that I'm sure it'd remind him of the scroll.. but seems they took it out... anyhow wouldn't you ask a person knowledgeable about all these martial arts styles about a scroll you had that was possibly from one of the styles he described in his book?
My Best Day is Gone
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drporkchop » Wed May 26, 2004 7:32 pm

Cool find, Lan.

So many mysteries... :?
drporkchop
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Wed May 26, 2004 8:01 pm

LanDC and Silas, I was talking about those lines 'in-game'. I can't recall that I've heard them in the game. Of course I don't know if they were on that disc somewhere, that's possible of course :)

Maybe I should've explained better. Anyway, I just thought it was weird to record something that wasn't included in the original game (not that I know of at least). But your explanation makes a lot of sense Silas.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Chiyouman1325 » Wed May 26, 2004 8:06 pm

hmmm, *scratches chin*
Chiyouman1325
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Wed May 26, 2004 8:51 pm

Shit i didnt even notice this topic LAN, excellent find. Il get right onto it!

Peter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Wed May 26, 2004 9:02 pm

awsome as always!
great info, i wonder why they left it out?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Wed May 26, 2004 9:29 pm

Damn, it was hard to find information on the Emperor at all, but i did get a snippet of information on the tiger swallow style....

"The Small Tiger Swallow form is very famous in Mantis circles. It is important in the Seven Star and the Mei Hua (Plum Flower) branches in particular. The history of the form states that Wang Lang, Mantis' creator, saw a painting of a saint riding a tiger. The idea of a form with the strength of a tiger and the agility of a swallow inspired the creation of HsiaoHuYuen. This form is particularly important in teaching Mantis style to children. It trains agility and strength while promoting the skill of quick changes"

Now its not much, but there is a relation to Shenmue here. Firstly we have he reference to Seven Stars, which as we all know in Shenmue 2, became the name of the Hua family emblem, the sword of seven stars. What it says above is that the Tiger Swallow Style is important to the Seven Stars branch, so the two are definitely connected. I know in Shenmue 2, the seven star reference isn't to a style of martial art, but perhaps the sword bears some significance to the martial art, not in a combat way, but in a spiritual way that Shen Hua does not yet know about. Of course one must take into account the "powers" that have been debated that Shen Hua has to discover later on in the series. Perhaps the Tiger Swallow style is the power of the spiritual/mental martial art, harnessed into the attacking combat manoeuvre, thus suggesting that there could be a fight between Lan Di, who uses his powerul fists to attack, against Shen Hua's magical/spiritual attacks (as seen in the Beta Shenmue video)

Next we move on to possibly a confirmation of the above, in names, with the Tiger Swallow style being connected to the name Hua. Again, there is a connection between the two, that i think is becoming clear.

The final thought that comes to mind, is the notion of the painting of the "saint riding a tiger".... Could thid perhaps be Ryo? Ive always thought that Shenmue had little quirks that have hidden meanings,and the tiger on Ryos jacket falls under this category.It states above that the creator of the mantis style,created the style after looking at a painting of "a saint riding a tiger".... well could Lan Di have set about learning the Tiger Swallow Style, fr the sole use to kill the Hazukis? First with Iwao, and now onto Ryo? Also could Ryo now represent the "saint" who "rides" the dragon, and is the only one who can defeat the one who carries the Tiger Swallow style? (Lan Di) Also this point ties in with the whole Shenmue prologue, that Ryo must find the power within him, that will destroy him, release his will etc.

Theres just some points to think about folks, but it just goes to show how Shenmue is just much more than a game, dosent it. Ive NEVER experienced a story or a game with such research and depth that Shenmue has. I wish LanDC could keepte info coming so i could look into more research. Theres nothing more thrilling than looking into material that could bear a relation to the overall Shenmue story.

Shenmue is more than just a game.........
Last edited by Peter on Wed May 26, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Wed May 26, 2004 10:06 pm

Peter wrote:Damn, it was hard to find information on the Emperor at all, but i did get a snippet of information on the tiger swallow style....

"The Small Tiger Swallow form is very famous in Mantis circles. It is important in the Seven Star and the Mei Hua (Plum Flower) branches in particular. The history of the form states that Wang Lang, Mantis' creator, saw a painting of a saint riding a tiger. The idea of a form with the strength of a tiger and the agility of a swallow inspired the creation of HsiaoHuYuen. This form is particularly important in teaching Mantis style to children. It trains agility and strength while promoting the skill of quick changes"

Now its not much, but there is a relation to Shenmue here. Firstly we have he reference to Seven Stars, which as we all know in Shenmue 2, became the name of the Hua family emblem, the sowrd of seven stars. What it says above is that the Tiger Swallw Style is important to the Seven Stars branch, so the two are definately connected. I know in Shenmue 2, the seven star reference isnt to a style of martial art, but perhaps the sword bears some significance to the martial art, not in a combat way, but in a spiritual way that Shen Hua does not yet know about. Of course one must take into account the "powers" that have been debated that Shen Hua has to discover later on in the series. Perhaps the Tiger Swallow style is the power of the spiritual/mental martial art, harnessed into the attacking combat manovure, thus suggesting that there could be a fight between Lan Di, who uses his poweruf fists to attack, against Shen Hua's magical/spiritual attaks (as seen in the Beta Shenmue video)

Next we move on to possibly a confirmation of the above, in names, with the Tiger Swallow style being connected to the name Hua. Again, there is a connection between the two, that i think is becoming clear.

The finalthought that comes to mind, is the notion of the painting of the "saint riding a tiger".... Could thid perhaps be Ryo? Ive always thought that Shenmue had little quirks that have hidden meanings,and the tiger on Ryos jacket falls under this category.It states above that the creator of the mantis style,created the style after looking at a painting of "a saint riding a tiger".... well could Lan Di have set about learning the Tiger Swallow Style, fr the sole use to kill the Hazukis? First with Iwao, and now onto Ryo? Also could Ryo now represent the "saint" who "rides" the dragon, and is the only one who can defeat the one who carries the Tiger Swallow style? (Lan Di) Also this point ties in with the whole Shenmue prologue, that Ryo must find the power within him, that will destroy him, releasehis will etc.

Theres just some points to think about folks, but it just goes to show how Shenmue is just much more than a game, dosent it. Ive NEVER experienced a story or a game with such research and depth that Shenmue has. I wish LanDC could keepte info coming so i could look into more research. Theres nothing more thrilling than looking into material that could bear a relation to the overall Shenmue story.

Shenmue is more than just a game.........

awsome points there peter. :) its always great to see knew stuff like this.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby nagai-industries » Wed May 26, 2004 11:46 pm

damn thats some crazy stuff, major props to landc for finding it thats one of the mysteries of shenmue that we will find out about right??
nagai-industries
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby B-Man » Wed May 26, 2004 11:46 pm

Awesome find, Lan! :D

It's pretty cool how it's all fully voiced by Corey Marshall. It's a shame they took it out. I always wished that Ryo would have said more about those books!
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby land_e » Thu May 27, 2004 3:59 am

so is it possibe tha zhu has a bigger connection to lan di then wha we think???

also how do you kno they were cut out????

is it not possible tha something ryo does can trigger the scene ?

surely ya wouldnt kno with out checkin the script files ?
land_e
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III