Hidden Tiger Swallow Style Information

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Hidden Tiger Swallow Style Information

Postby Kiyuu » Thu May 27, 2004 5:51 am

Very interesting!! Nice find, LanDC!! :D

LanDC wrote:This is very interesting. The part that says "Has strong hand moves, as powerful as a fierce tiger" really makes me think about the Mysterious Scroll found in the Hazuki Dojo. At one point, it reads "strong enough to fell a fierce tiger in one hit." So perhaps the Mysterious Scroll is a move of the Tiger Swallow Style. Perhaps, even the one used to kill Iwao.

According to one Japanese guidebook, the move described in the Mysterious Scroll is
"Mouko-kouhazan" in Japanese, a move of Bajiquan. You can see Akira demonstrate it here.
It's the first move of the combination.
http://www.sega-am2.co.jp/vf4evo/conten ... /mov1.html

Apparently, it's not the move Lan Di used to kill Iwao, as Lan Di used both palms at that time.
It's quite possible that's a Bajiquan move, as Bajiquan was born in Meng Cun as you know.

LanDC wrote:It's also interesting how he says "The origin of the Tiger Swallow Style seems to be Yanqingquan." And "A style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan." So Yanqinquan was the creator? Also the one who prohibited it? I wonder why.

Anyway, I want to see everyone's research on this! See what we can come up with!

I believe "Yanqingquan" is a martial art, cant be a person, as "quan (拳)" means martial art.
I checked other characters that has "quan" sound, but none of them can mean a person,
I guess. BTW, the "Yanquingquan" is the style Gui Zhang uses, you know? ;)

There must be some confusion with the line, "a style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan."
Everything makes perfect sense if you take out "Yanqingquan" from that line, doesn't it? :?
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu May 27, 2004 8:36 am

Perhaps thats why it was removed then Kiyuu. You are right, i couldnt find any Emperors called "Yanquingquan"
whatsoever, plus the creator of the mantis style is called Wang Lang?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jiezeru » Thu May 27, 2004 9:54 am

Maybe its just made up?
Jiezeru
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Knuckles » Thu May 27, 2004 10:39 am

Yanqing and quan and Yanqing quan are both styles
Knuckles
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby JalceW » Thu May 27, 2004 1:14 pm

I couldn't find anything on the "Emperor YanQingQuan" either; the closest I got was a few references on Yan Qing, a hero of a Chinese novel named "Water Margin Tales" who is credited with creating MizongQuan (apparently another name for YanQingQuan). He's no emperor though; on the contrary, he's more often described as a servant.

See here: http://www.plumpub.com/info/knotebook/boxlosttrack.htm
JalceW
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby jrathbun05 » Thu May 27, 2004 3:39 pm

I am certain I know what the discrepancy is with the line “A style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan."

It should be written as “A style prohibited by the Emperor. Yanqingquan."

Ryo is saying that the Emperor prohibited it, then repeats the name of the style. IF you listen to the voice recording, you can distinctly hear the pause between Ryo saying Emperor and Yanqingquan. This type of speech is used often in the game, for example “A style which combines the throw and attack moves. Jujitsu.”

Ryo isn’t saying there is an Emperor named Yanqingquan at all. He is just saying that a style called Yanqingquan was outlawed by the Emperor.

I know that this doesnt make perfect since because it was the style derrived from Yanqingquan that was apparently outlawed, and not Yanqingquan style itself. However the main point is that Ryo was talking about a style named Yanqingquan, not an Emperor.
jrathbun05
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby POIUYO » Thu May 27, 2004 4:00 pm

Remember when you look for information on Yuanda Zhu in Shenmue 2, if you go to the heavenly budda altar shop you are told his skills with the sword are almost as good as his skills with his pen. Perhaps he gave Lan Di the scar?
POIUYO
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby xatruio » Thu May 27, 2004 4:02 pm

Kiyuu wrote:Very interesting!! Nice find, LanDC!! :D

LanDC wrote:This is very interesting. The part that says "Has strong hand moves, as powerful as a fierce tiger" really makes me think about the Mysterious Scroll found in the Hazuki Dojo. At one point, it reads "strong enough to fell a fierce tiger in one hit." So perhaps the Mysterious Scroll is a move of the Tiger Swallow Style. Perhaps, even the one used to kill Iwao.

According to one Japanese guidebook, the move described in the Mysterious Scroll is
"Mouko-kouhazan" in Japanese, a move of Bajiquan. You can see Akira demonstrate it here.

Apparently, it's not the move Lan Di used to kill Iwao, as Lan Di used both palms at that time.
It's quite possible that's a Bajiquan move, as Bajiquan was born in Meng Cun as you know.

LanDC wrote:It's also interesting how he says "The origin of the Tiger Swallow Style seems to be Yanqingquan." And "A style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan." So Yanqinquan was the creator? Also the one who prohibited it? I wonder why.

Anyway, I want to see everyone's research on this! See what we can come up with!

I believe "Yanqingquan" is a martial art, cant be a person, as "quan (拳)" means martial art.
I checked other characters that has "quan" sound, but none of them can mean a person,

There must be some confusion with the line, "a style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan."
Everything makes perfect sense if you take out "Yanqingquan" from that line, doesn't it? :?

Kiyuu, i know Japanese girl gamers who play Shenmue love Guizhang, but is the voice actor in real life just as good? :lol:
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Locke_cole » Thu May 27, 2004 4:04 pm

very cool

nice find LanDC
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FeelinLuckyPUNK » Thu May 27, 2004 5:34 pm

Hmnn interesting.

cue scene in Shenmue 3. Ryo is talking with the master who wrote the scroll. Translates it for him and shows him it. Flashback of opening scene.
Ryo tells him about Lan Di. Finds out Lan Di was his disicple.

guess

LAN IS THE MAN....again
FeelinLuckyPUNK
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Knuckles » Thu May 27, 2004 5:47 pm

jrathbun05 wrote:I am certain I know what the discrepancy is with the line “A style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan."

It should be written as “A style prohibited by the Emperor. Yanqingquan."

Ryo is saying that the Emperor prohibited it, then repeats the name of the style. IF you listen to the voice recording, you can distinctly hear the pause between Ryo saying Emperor and Yanqingquan. This type of speech is used often in the game, for example “A style which combines the throw and attack moves. Jujitsu.”

Ryo isn’t saying there is an Emperor named Yanqingquan at all. He is just saying that a style called Yanqingquan was outlawed by the Emperor.

I know that this doesnt make perfect since because it was the style derrived from Yanqingquan that was apparently outlawed, and not Yanqingquan style itself. However the main point is that Ryo was talking about a style named Yanqingquan, not an Emperor.

YES! He's absoloutly right! just like i've been saying yanqingquan is a style not the name of an emporer!
Knuckles
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby LanDC » Thu May 27, 2004 10:13 pm

Kiyuu wrote:Very interesting!! Nice find, LanDC!! :D

Whoa. The Japanese guides include everything don't they? We don't get any of this information in English! Like Tentei being the Chiyoumen leader.

Anyway, Bajiquan eh? Interesting, The Demon's Triangle given by Xiuying is one of the Badazhao, of Bajiquan. Also, the Counter Elbow Assult taught by Xiuying is one of the Bajiquan of Liudaukai.

Yes! I think jrathbun05 is right! Ryo is just repeating the style name in the quote "a style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan." Basically, in a more simple way "The Tiger Swallow Style. A style prohibited by the emporer"
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Thu May 27, 2004 11:28 pm

LanDC wrote:Whoa. The Japanese guides include everything don't they? We don't get any of this information in English! Like Tentei being the Chiyoumen leader.

Anyway, Bajiquan eh? Interesting, The Demon's Triangle given by Xiuying is one of the Badazhao, of Bajiquan. Also, the Counter Elbow Assult taught by Xiuying is one of the Bajiquan of Liudaukai.

"Mouko-kouhazan" is also one of the "Badazhao" of Bajiquan. As Xiuying is the master
of Bajiquan, Xiuying's father could be the one who gave the scroll to Iwao?

LanDC wrote:Yes! I think jrathbun05 is right! Ryo is just repeating the style name in the quote "a style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan." Basically, in a more simple way "The Tiger Swallow Style. A style prohibited by the emporer"

Yeah, I think that's it!! :D
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BackinBlack » Fri May 28, 2004 9:21 am

Just a thought:

"saint riding a tiger"

In the test screen for Shenmue 1 there's that picture of Shenhua in that strange costume, isn't she riding a tiger?

I haven't seen the pic for a while so I can't remember. Someone check it out?

Just looked now, it's a horse not a tiger. My bad.
BackinBlack
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kiyuu » Fri May 28, 2004 12:11 pm

Xatruio wrote:Kiyuu, i know Japanese girl gamers who play Shenmue love Guizhang, but is the voice actor in real life just as good? :lol:

We love the voice, because it's Gui Zhang's. Do you know what I mean? ;)
It doesn't really matter what the actor is like, though Sakai-san is actually a nice guy!
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III