A new glitch discovered in Shenmue II!

(Chapters 3-6)

A new glitch discovered in Shenmue II!

Postby LanDC » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:44 pm

Would you like to walk around as an invisible Ryo? Well, with this new glitch I discovered in Shenmue II, which makes Ryo's model disappear, you can! :P

What you'll need to do is position Ryo close to a shop sign or any sign that can be locked onto. Then, as someone you can talk with comes near and the mouth icon appears over the A button icon, quickly try to lock-on to the sign and press the A button simultaneously. When you do, the game will think you're trying to do both tasks at once. You'll notice how Ryo says the shop name while speaking to the character. Once you've finished the conversation with the character, you'll return to the game, but with no Ryo in sight, as his model is still gone from thinking you're locked onto the sign. This means you can't open your notebook, inventory window or anything like that. Pressing the B button will close out the "locked on" item and send Ryo's model back to normal play.

Other than just being interesting to walk around invisibly, you can also bypass loading areas in this state. As you can see in my video below, I try walking into the Former Barracks, but instead of loading, I just keep walking. In doing this, you can walk back far enough to enter forbidden areas, or better known as "walk through walls." The only bad thing about this, though, is Shenmue II's gameplay system won't allow free walking in forbidden areas like Shenmue I's does, meaning you'll be running in-place after a while. If you want to walk around off-map or something like that, the only way to force Ryo to keep pressing forward is to rapidly press the UP button on the D-pad. He will slowly but surely inch further and further out.

If you'd like to see a short clip of me performing this trick in the Thousand White Qr, CLICK HERE to download!
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Birty » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:59 pm

Cool man, nice how you can cut out the loading times there. How did you discover that then? Just randomly think to yourself to try it? :P
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby LanDC » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Birty2k wrote:Cool man, nice how you can cut out the loading times there. How did you discover that then? Just randomly think to yourself to try it? :P

I was looking for tigers in the Dancing Dragon Bldg (for reasons undisclosed ;)), when it suddenly happened to me while speaking to a Chiyoumen member.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby VGAce » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:24 pm

Fantastic find! It's amazing we're still finding new things in this game.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:28 pm

VGAce wrote:It's amazing we're still finding new things in this game.

Those were my thoughts exactly.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:45 pm

Wow... interesting find, LanDC!! Does it happen on both Xbox and Dreamcast?
I must try it by all means! :D
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby LanDC » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:07 pm

Kiyuu wrote:Wow... interesting find, LanDC!! Does it happen on both Xbox and Dreamcast?

Yes, it sure does! Give it a try.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:25 pm

LanDC wrote:
Kiyuu wrote:Wow... interesting find, LanDC!! Does it happen on both Xbox and Dreamcast?

Yes, it sure does! Give it a try.

I tried it at the same spot in your video, but my Ryo only tries to do either action,
not both actions simultaneously... :(
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby LanDC » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:44 pm

Kiyuu wrote:I tried it at the same spot in your video, but my Ryo only tries to do either action,
not both actions simultaneously... :(

Hmm... here, look at this! Here's a video of me doing the trick on the Dreamcast version (European, but it shouldn't matter). Try it exactly like I did here. Make sure you're still in the position to talk to the person as you quickly pull the trigger assigned to zoom in. About a millisecond after the camera is close enough to begin locking on the sign, tap the A button. I'm sure it'll work for you, so give it a couple of tries to make perfection.

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetxbox/shenmuedojo/modclips/trick.zip

This is great! The game just began, but since you can pass the flag at King's Road that disables you from going further before retreiving your bag, you can go on past King's Road before even having your bag stolen. In this video, I use the trick at the General Store with the little girl out in front. I then go past King's Road invisibly, then turn back visible to enter the Green Market Qr (see him standing up after talking to the little girl? :P). Then, I went to the South Carmain Qr and sparred with Jianmin while still wearing the bag! I did this once through modding a while back, but now anyone can do it. Ryo will actually fight without using his left arm while wearing the bag!
Oh, and by the way, the reason I still had my bag on at the General Store is because I already did the trick once back at the old man's pigeon food shop earlier, which allowed me to skip the first scene with Wong.

I'm sure there's a nice variation of ways we could alter the game with this little trick. :D
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:40 am

Cool discovery. ill try it tommorow.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Rhayno G. » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:34 am

Thats pretty cool. It seems that rather than Ryo becoming invisible that you actually take free reign of the camera system, as the game does not recognize Ryo's presence. I suppose you cant arm wrestle? I cant check now.
Rhayno G.
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Terra Ryzing » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:53 am

Great! A new reason to play SII for the 40,420 time
Terra Ryzing
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giony » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:29 pm

cool find
Giony
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Pearce1991 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:35 pm

That's a cool find LanDC its a good job that people like you are around to find out stuff for us fans.
Pearce1991
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Joey Bassist Dude » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:46 pm

hahah thats really quite cool actually and it got me in the mood to carry on playing and complete shenmue 2 again.

lan dc wrote:I was looking for tigers in the Dancing Dragon Bldg (for reasons undisclosed :Wink:)

were you jsut assin' around or are you onto something really cool?
Joey Bassist Dude
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue II