The Shenmue Passport

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby Spew » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:40 pm

LionheartUK wrote:
lDarkWarriorl wrote:I'm pissed off. shenmue.com doesn't work anymore! We just took a foward step into a darker Shenmue future. (Denied Shenmue Passport) It really doesn't matter who's in charge, it would be nice to see it running though but now it's not. Are you all happy! We killed off Shenmue.com and the Passport once and for all!

SHUT UP NOOB

SEGA Killed Shenmue.com and the Passport not us get a grip you crack head.

All you NOOB's who have 10 or less posts please stop Kissing this guys Arse cos he's done nothing good he's just fooled us all along and in my opinion is a very sad individual indeed.

Oh no, you called someone a n00b, I'm sure he's devasted. Fuck off already - he didn't fool us, he wasn't dishonest in his intentions, he brought back something lots of us wanted access to, so fuck off you primo cockend.
Hellraiser wrote:
Sakuragaoka wrote:Finally I want to say sorry again to all (like I said sorry in the Shenmue BBS), but now I promise to don't do something stupid again. And sorry for my bad english (still learning) and my poor Japanese (still learning too). If anyone reach to a SEGA person, tell to him to contact me at [email protected] and I'll transfer the domain as the people of this forum told me. Sorry again. But don't loose the hope in Shenmue...

I accept your apology if your serious about returning shenmue.com to Sega.

Everyone keep in mind that most people who buy popular domains are only are in it for the money. They dont give a shit about what the site was about before. He went through the trouble to restore the site and give us the chance to view the passport again. At least this guy is trying his best to communicate with us.

This guy shouldn't be apologising, and he shouldn't 'return' the domain to Sega, he paid for the domain for the honest use for the community. Sega let the domain go, so Sakuragaoka, KEEP the domain, and put the Shenmue website back up. It would be nice so it isn't forgotten, as Sega obviously want it to disappear, or be continued by a fan presence to keep the spirit alive.
Spew
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Segata Sanshiro » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:53 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Honestly, I could have cared less about the fact that Passport was actually back up, seeing as I have no dial up anymore. What interested me more, is the fact that Sega may have actually started to give a shit about Shenmue again, and to me that was more of the point. But obviously, that wasnt the case. Sakuragaoka, Fuck You, eat shit, and die, you crazy bastard.

Honestly, if that's all you have to say you could shut up. A lot of people are angry too but intelligent enough not to insult, they can say things other way. I dont have dial up any more either but I spent a few minutes looking for a free dial up provider and I finally could see Shenmue Passport for the first time.

I also think he had no need to hurry giving back the domain to Sega, except for having used copyrighted material. With our help he could have created new artwork for the downloadable goodies, maybe even the necessary scripts to handle High Scores, etc.

But it's too late already (the domain has been given away back to Sega, right?). As a Shenmue fan I'm sorry things weren't done right. At least I was able to check my statistics for a couple of minutes...

Negora if you're gonna try helping him to do *something*, I wish you good luck, and I hope you get at least as far as where you got with Dreamalive, but with less suffering, if possible =D>
Segata Sanshiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Spew » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:55 pm

He has only asked how to give it to sega, but you can't give it back to Sega, they wouldn't take it - since they've already stopped paying for it and have no more interest in using it (so no new Shenmue game I presume). So giving it to them would be a waste of time.
Spew
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:59 pm

Jesus, Sakuragaoka pulled a good one here! :D
One, for the effort he went to to do a cool thing like revive parts of Shenmue's online history...:)
Two, for the (I think) unintentional melt down and fall out among the members nearly killing themselves when they found out it wasn't as good as *they* thought it was, even though it WAS still a good thing! :lol:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby ac2u » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Segata Sanshiro wrote:But it's too late already (the domain has been given away back to Sega, right?)

No, he still has the domain. He needs to get Sega to initate a domain transfer. All he's done for the moment is stop Shenmue.com pointing to his fake version. He's done this by specifying Sega's DNS servers.

At the end of the day, you may all say he's done it in the interests of the community and that's admirable. However, there is one glaring fact that is just plain wrong. He registered the domain owner details to make it look like Sega owned it. This was a calculated move, and there's no escaping that.
ac2u
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Ziming » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Spew wrote:He has only asked how to give it to sega, but you can't give it back to Sega, they wouldn't take it - since they've already stopped paying for it and have no more interest in using it (so no new Shenmue game I presume). So giving it to them would be a waste of time.

He already posted this email sent to him by Sega:

Dear Mr. Emel Nieto Conde,

Thank you very much for your emails of February 17 regarding the domain
name "Shenmue.com".

My name is Suzuki and I am handling domain name issues at Sega
Corporation.

We very much appreciate your kind offer to return the domain name
"Shenmue.com" to Sega. Our company had no intention of abandoning the
website "Shenmue.com" and so we would like to proceed with transfer of
the domain name shortly in the hope that you will understand and agree
to the transfer.

Thank you again for your support for our games and wish you all the very
best.

Best Regards,

Takemi Suzuki
Intellectual Property Dept.
Sega Corporation
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:05 pm

ac2u wrote:At the end of the day, you may all say he's done it in the interests of the community and that's admirable. However, there is one glaring fact that is just plain wrong. He registered the domain owner details to make it look like Sega owned it. This was a calculated move, and there's no escaping that.

Yeah I guess there's no excuse for that :( It's a real shame he didn't think what he was doing, this all could have turned into something a lot better, I think. Anyway I hope nothing "bad" happens to him...
Segata Sanshiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby lDarkWarriorl » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:08 pm

Hellraiser wrote:
Spew wrote:He has only asked how to give it to sega, but you can't give it back to Sega, they wouldn't take it - since they've already stopped paying for it and have no more interest in using it (so no new Shenmue game I presume). So giving it to them would be a waste of time.

He already posted this email sent to him by Sega:

Dear Mr. Emel Nieto Conde,

Thank you very much for your emails of February 17 regarding the domain
name "Shenmue.com".

My name is Suzuki and I am handling domain name issues at Sega
Corporation.

We very much appreciate your kind offer to return the domain name
"Shenmue.com" to Sega. Our company had no intention of abandoning the
website "Shenmue.com" and so we would like to proceed with transfer of
the domain name shortly in the hope that you will understand and agree
to the transfer.

Thank you again for your support for our games and wish you all the very
best.

Best Regards,

Takemi Suzuki
Intellectual Property Dept.
Sega Corporation

Oh man, I foregot all about that. If the Passport stayed up then I would've actually purchased a $130US Broadband Adapter!
lDarkWarriorl
Creator of Earth Crisis
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: TAF_Nukem
XBL: TAF Nukem
Nintendo FC: DukeNukm
Steam: DukeNukem

Postby Phinn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:16 pm

Sakuragaoka's mistake was in trying to trick us all into believing it was Sega resurrecting Shenmue.com. If he had posted and said, "Hey guys, I just bought Shenmue.com and I'm resurrecting the Passport!" he would have been a hero and people would have contributed and we could have had a fully operational Passport (until SEGA would inevitably come along and take it down again). Instead, the whole thing has blown over before it even started. That's the saddest thing. The time and effort Sakuragaoka put in wasted by the fact he couldn't just be honest.

I just hope all this convinces SEGA to actually resurrect Shenmue.com and the Passport themselves. I somehow doubt it.
Phinn
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:17 pm

Uh, I'm a bit surprised so many of you are praising this guy-he took the website from Sega without even asking if they intended to register the domain again, and never informed us it wasn't really Sega who did it. He updated Shenmue Passport and led us to believe Sega was restoring it themselves. Doesn't sound like someone who is trying to do a good deed. "Giving us hope"? That's B.S.

I think it was cool how one person was able to restore the whole Passport feature, but he purposedly led us to believe Sega was restoring it. Perhaps, if he contacted Sega before buying the domain or let us know he had the power to restore Passport and was gonna try it, I'd give him a little more respect. The only redeeming thing Sakuragaoka appeared to have done is contact Sega about the domain on February 17th. Not sure what he said to them. Hopefully he shows some decency and gives the domain back to Sega. Even if they don't do anything with the site, it is theirs, and Shenmue is their game.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby negora » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Segata Sanshiro: Ouch, sorry mate, I didn't see your past message. I did a quick reading and I think I skiped it by accident. I've seen this some minutes ago, re-reading everything (I had got lost :P) Thank you very much for your support, really :). Dreamalive finally didn't get success, but at least me and you all have to be proud of it. We got some voice over the World and that's nice. Luckily, I'm cured after so much frustration and depressions ^_^ .

About all this: I've already contacted EncCompany and I'm trying to guide him to contact SEGA.

About if he must or mustn't give it back to SEGA, you've to take a look to every fact. It isn't so easy like purchasing it and done. He got it legally but there're some issues which better he should clear before going on. ICANN is the organization who handles all this kind of conflicts. If SEGA and EncCompany ended in a legal demand, there're some aspects which would go against EncCompany:

1 - He has been using copyrighted stuff.
2 - The future content of the domain (even being not copyrighted) would be referred to a copyrighted brand.

The only way to be safe would be to dedicate that website to any other theme not related to SEGA or Shenmue as a brand. For example, if you made a webpage about a dog called Shenmue, SEGA couldn't do anything. There are also a few aspects which are very delicated and could cause conflict but it would take pages to explain them.

What I'm recommending him is to contact SEGA of Japan first. Because he has to give that domain back? No. But because he's in a disadvantage position to SEGA and it's recommendable to ask them first (except if you wanna see any other theme in that domain, obviously...)
negora

Postby Spew » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:27 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:Uh, I'm a bit surprised so many of you are praising this guy-he took the website from Sega without even asking if they intended to register the domain again, and never informed us it wasn't really Sega who did it. He updated Shenmue Passport and led us to believe Sega was restoring it themselves. Doesn't sound like someone who is trying to do a good deed. "Giving us hope"? That's B.S.

I think it was cool how one person was able to restore the whole Passport feature, but he purposedly led us to believe Sega was restoring it. Perhaps, if he contacted Sega before buying the domain or let us know he had the power to restore Passport and was gonna try it, I'd give him a little more respect. The only redeeming thing Sakuragaoka appeared to have done is contact Sega about the domain on February 17th. Not sure what he said to them. Hopefully he shows some decency and gives the domain back to Sega. Even if they don't do anything with the site, it is theirs, and Shenmue is their game.

Please, can someone explain how he TOOK the domain from Sega?

He never lied, how exactly did we find that it was him that uploaded it then? Did he tell people?

It doesn't look like he intentionally tried to fool anyone.
Spew
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Segata Sanshiro » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:30 pm

@Negora:No problem ;) I just wish I had had an internet connection during those times, I'd have helped as much as I could. In order to feel useful me and a couple more people from gp32spain.com started DreamcastSpain.com (mainly Hostbridge and then the well known Kortexx with his kDreamcast), but it went poof long ago. At least we helped a lot of people to get their DC-PC connection working! :D Glad to hear you're ok again.

@Spew He tried to fool us into thinking it was Sega and not a Shenmue fan who re-started the Passport Service.

Lan-Di sama wrote:Uh, I'm a bit surprised so many of you are praising this guy-he took the website from Sega without even asking if they intended to register the domain again, and never informed us it wasn't really Sega who did it.

Why would he ask Sega? They don't give a shit about Shenmue. Only Yu Suzuki still seems to care. Sega didn't renew their own domain, that means they couldn't care less. I do agree about the rest of what you said though.[/quote]
Last edited by Segata Sanshiro on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Segata Sanshiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Staplerfahrer Klaus » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:32 pm

I haven't been keeping up with this topic lately, so I don't know if anyone said this before. But does anyone get the impression that Sega doesn't care *that* much about the domain from the content of that letter?
Staplerfahrer Klaus
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby IveBeenCensored » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:33 pm

on the one hand he didnt really do anything bad with the site, just restored it, but also he gave us a lot of false hope
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue