RYO RETURNS! Sonic & Sega racing!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:28 pm

Make sure you ask if Yu Suzuki had to be approached about the character being put into the game and if he even knew. That's what I want to know.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:49 pm

They would not need to ask him. If they did then just out of politeness. SEGA holds all rights on all materials, trademarks, etc on all their games. Yu Suzuki is great, but after all at least back then he was just an employee (one of the most famous ones though) of SEGA and all of his works fall into posession of SEGA. This includes all characters from Shenmue, like Ryo.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rom » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:51 am

Well, I just came back from Sega's office. Unfortunately, Ryo wasn't playable in any of the versions that I got to try (I couldn't even select the character I wanted to use on the DS version as it contained a few yet to be announced characters). But I did get to ask a few Shenmue related questions during my interview with Craig Duncan from SUMO. I can't show anything until the 26th of November though.
Rom
Master of the Three Blades

Postby willmame » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:59 am

Looking forward to you being able to tell us what you know!
willmame
Asia Travel Representative

Postby dotsona » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Rom wrote:Well, I just came back from Sega's office. Unfortunately, Ryo wasn't playable in any of the versions that I got to try (I couldn't even select the character I wanted to use on the DS version as it contained a few yet to be announced characters). But I did get to ask a few Shenmue related questions during my interview with Craig Duncan from SUMO. I can't show anything until the 26th of November though.

Can you at least tell us if it's good news? :p
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby Rom » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:30 pm

He wouldn't say if there will be a Shenmue race track (but he had a big smile on his face while he said that). But I think you'll be pleased with some of the stuff he said.
Rom

Postby DeadPool » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 am

seriously this looks Bogus! (to use terms from the time shenmue 1 came out.)

i loged onto gamespot today and saw ryo riding a motorcycle and was like "what the hell?"

this is like having shenmue not bin finished rubed in my nose. -_-
DeadPool
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AlexM » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 am

A little info about Ryo in SASAR, I got from SOL (Sumo) in the Seganerds board:

Me: SOL are you allowed to give details about including Ryo? Was that only because of strong fan request or was this always planed? Was AM2/Yu Suzuki involved with the design?

SOL: He was high on our wishlist - but the fan feedback on SST helped us to highlight the desire to see him again.

We had help from AM+ (which at the time was Yu's division at Sega) who provided us with plenty of good reference materials. I'm actually writing some stuff about this for some Dev Diaries that Sega will start posting on their website, keep an eye out for them

So we have to wait for the Dev Diaries (vol. 1 is already pubblished on the Sega and Sonic blog) for some more infos about Ryo.
AlexM

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:08 pm

DeadPool wrote:seriously this looks Bogus! (to use terms from the time shenmue 1 came out.)

i loged onto gamespot today and saw ryo riding a motorcycle and was like "what the hell?"

Oh snap, it's DeadPool!
cApNhOwDy
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:They would not need to ask him. If they did then just out of politeness. SEGA holds all rights on all materials, trademarks, etc on all their games. Yu Suzuki is great, but after all at least back then he was just an employee (one of the most famous ones though) of SEGA and all of his works fall into posession of SEGA. This includes all characters from Shenmue, like Ryo.

You missed my point. If they asked him, I would like to know Suzuki's reaction to Ryo being used in a mainstream title after so many years.

DeadPool wrote:seriously this looks Bogus! (to use terms from the time shenmue 1 came out.)

:lol:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:18 pm

It should not be too surprising. In Sonic Riders they had a big Shenmue poster and in VF series esp in VF5 with all the references.This is the biggest teaser yet true but it's not like this was totally out of the blue.

I don't think Shenmue is as unknown as the fans make it to be.
After all at one time every major mag had huge hype of it and coverage for years and Sega acted like James Cameron about his blue furry film.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:58 pm

Will there be a new forum for this game, or will it just be talked about in the general gaming forum? I ask because i know its not a stand alone Shenmue game, but as far as we know Shenmue Online will never see the light of day and we still have a forum for that.

On a separate note, this months issue of GAMES has a small swipe at us Shenmue fans. Heres the quote:

IF YOU thought the appearance of Alex Kidd and Big the Cat in Sega All Stars Raching was cool then thats nothing compared to this - Shenmue's Ryo Hazuki on his motorbike, with a special move that allows him to transfer to forklift truck mid-race. "Surely this means Shenmue III is just around the corner." shriek the fanboys. "Get real!" says GAMES.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Anthony817 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 pm

Peter wrote:On a separate note, this months issue of GAMES has a small swipe at us Shenmue fans. Heres the quote:

IF YOU thought the appearance of Alex Kidd and Big the Cat in Sega All Stars Raching was cool then thats nothing compared to this - Shenmue's Ryo Hazuki on his motorbike, with a special move that allows him to transfer to forklift truck mid-race. "Surely this means Shenmue III is just around the corner." shriek the fanboys. "Get real!" says GAMES.

What a bunch of asshats man, seriously, do they think we are all that gullible?

I remain optomistic that there COULD be a next Shenmue game, but I don't think its right around the corner, and I also don't think its being made right now.

I do think realistic, but I can always hold out some bit of hope that one day it may come.
Last edited by Anthony817 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 pm

^Calm down.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:31 am

Ryudo™ wrote:It should not be too surprising. In Sonic Riders they had a big Shenmue poster and in VF series esp in VF5 with all the references.This is the biggest teaser yet true but it's not like this was totally out of the blue.

I don't think Shenmue is as unknown as the fans make it to be.
After all at one time every major mag had huge hype of it and coverage for years and Sega acted like James Cameron about his blue furry film.

Funnily enough, Shenmue was actually brought up breifly in a conversation today by one of my friends. All of us (except for me, obviously) knew what it was when he was trying to describe it. He called Ryo "Shenmue" though, lol. Didn't even bother correcting him.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III