Re: Deb Rabbai (Ling Shenhua - Shenmue)

Postby darksniper » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:09 am

darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi Deb,

thanks for joining the forums. "He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,..." - everyone who played the game has heard you telling the legend. I guess it's very unusual to voice a main character and only have one paragraph of text. How often did you have to re-do that passage? As far as i know all voice artists had to come to Japan - how was it to fly to the end of the world for just a few sentences?
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Deb » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:29 am

phpBB [video]

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your kind welcomes here!

I enjoyed working on Shenmue though I've not ever had the chance to play the game.

A fan gave me a DVD of the movie portions of the game so I was able to see the sections that I was involved in. That was satisfying in the sense that I don't usually get to see the results of my labor.

It's funny how surprised some of you are by how I look. I'm not sure why but whatever. Perhaps the way my voice sounds gives you a false image of what I should look like? I have no idea. You'll have to explain that one to me.

Anyway, as an actor, I audition for many voice projects ranging from animation to games to promos to commercials.

When I'm lucky enough to be chosen by a producer to work on a project, I work! It's not about me choosing to not do games or anything like that.

I've voiced a few other games as well and to me, they are jobs and opportunities. i'm excited to audition for them and hopefully I'll book the gig.

Providing the voice of Shenmue was a great acting job for me in fact it was probably the best gig I've had.

I saw the posting for the job in the actors newspaper called "Backstage" and I sent in a tape with clips of some of the voices I did in anime. I was then called in for an audition in NYC. I was then contacted that I'd been chosen and that the recording would take place in Japan. JOY! Then I was sent a contract and this is where things get difficult. I negotiated my own contract based on what made me financially comfortable in terms of traveling to another country and having to be away from NYC for a week's time. I did not enjoy negotiating this contract and it was uncomfortable. In the end it all worked out quite beautifully. My recording was completed probably in about an hour. For me, this was fantastic because they brought me there for like 7 days so the other 6 days got to sightsee and walk around Yokohama and have fun. Cory, the guy who played Ryo was a good companion and it was nice to hang out with another American who spoke English and was welcoming. Best gig ever! During my recording session communicating with the director was challenging as his directions needed to be translated into English and sometimes words or feelings in one language are subtly different in another language. But again, it was a fun challenge and ultimately resulted in something good.

I believe there were some legal issues that came up between the person who ultimately brought me to the project and the company that was producing it. It was a conflict of interest or something, I can't remember what all. In any case I was contacted by someone and there was an issue with the contract and I didn't really want to get involved in the inner workings of this situation. I was never contacted about being a part of part 2. I didn't know they'd made a part 2 till a fan told me at an anime convention. I was surprised.

Someone asked about Record of Lodoss Wars and yes I did a few voices in that series. It was great fun.

I've done many animes, some better than others. Maybe you've seen some? Maybe you've liked some? Maybe not?

In any case, I've enjoyed all the voice acting work I've done and i always look forward to the next chance to work.

Thanks again for your questions and interest!

I hope to come back and check in more frequently.

Take care,

Deb
Deb
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:40 am

Deb wrote:It's funny how surprised some of you are by how I look. I'm not sure why but whatever. Perhaps the way my voice sounds gives you a false image of what I should look like? I have no idea. You'll have to explain that one to me.

Its not so much we're surprised you're gorgeous, its just very difficult to visualize the way a person looks when you're exposed only to the voice. We see a cat girl, or a small delicate woman on screen, but thats not indicative of how you really look so its a mystery.

Deb wrote:Someone asked about Record of Lodoss Wars and yes I did a few voices in that series. It was great fun.

:mrgreen: Thank you for answering!
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Peter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:06 am

Thank you so much for stopping by Deb! I think its amazing, learning about how yourself, Corey and Lisle all lived in Japan whilst recording, and how you got to work etc. To me, its facinating, and why i try to get cast members to post. I love learning about "new" Shenmue experiences that you cannot find anywhere else, and the voice recording experience is one of them. :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby KiBa » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:07 pm

^ What he said. Very interesting story. Thank you so much for talking to us.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Deb, thanks for helping make Shenmue as great as it is! I remember as a little kid just amazed by how cool the intro to S1 was. Great job!!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Ziming » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgV78T3GEU[/youtube]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:54 am

Anybody ever notice that there is atleast 3 different versions of Shenhuas opening speech throughout the games? I still like the first game best and I wish we had Debs voice for the second game. Her voice is actually less high pitched and doesn't sound like a computer.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:36 pm

I like Shenmue 2 Shenhua voice more. In Shenmue 1 Shenhua sound much older like in her 30's.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:24 pm

See i much prefer her voice in the first game. Her voice in 2 makes me want to hit people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWS4xMZz_w[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:43 am

Oct.2011 If i'm not mistaken..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujC0iiuf87k[/youtube]
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW-m-HBdDuk[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Hahaha... Pateus reparo.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:54 pm

She also sings going from other vids on youtube.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to Shenmue