Linux Users

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Linux Users

Postby Chaos » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm

I reinstalled Ubuntu for the first time in probably years yesterday.

Haven't had time to mess with it though :( hopefully tomorrow
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby KiBa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:10 pm

I recommend installing the daily build (if you haven't already) of the latest long term support release, 12.04. Although it is still in beta, release is at the end of the month and it is already much better than 11.10. Just don't forget to keep updating for the remaining bug fixes.

On a personal note, I also recommend trying Kubuntu 12.04, rather than Ubuntu, as I prefer KDE, as the latest 4.8.1 version is simply pristine and delightful.

Ubuntu:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Kubuntu:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Ubuntu 12.04 is looking really good. I am happy to be able to freely configure Unity. I stopped using Unity in 11.10 just because it was a pain to configure it. I am using Gnome Classic on it.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Chaos » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:21 am

so gnome 3 is pretty awful imo, and I don't care for unity either.

xfce is pretty nice these days, but still kinda ehhh

I might give kde a try tomorrow. I always used to like kde, but I haven't tried the newest version.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby silent killer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Chaos wrote:so gnome 3 is pretty awful imo, and I don't care for unity either.

It works okay under mint. Though heavily modified it may be to run and look like gnome 2. Unity can go fuck itself.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Debian and LXDE work pretty nice on my older laptops and consumes less battery and RAM. But i also like gnome which is the debian default.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 pm

I love the diversity of desktop environments on Linux right now. There's something for everyone to enjoy.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Chaos » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:25 am

so I installed kubuntu last night to give kde a try, and it's really nice. It feels modern but hasn't changed too much from what it was used to be.

Wish I could say the same about gnome 3. Man what a pile of shit.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:27 pm

^ Heh.

Yeah, I really like Kubuntu. If there are any GNOME fans out there, however, who do not like the new direction of Unity or Gnome-Shell, try Cinnamon from the Linux Mint team. It's probably the best new desktop environment based on the new GNOME 3 technologies, since it is very similar to GNOME 2 in appearance (but better, obviously) and completely configurable. You can try it through the last Linux Mint release or a PPA for the new Ubuntu 12.04. Or wait a little while until the latest Ubuntu 12.04-based Linux Mint is released, as Cinnamon will be the new Mint default desktop environment. The latest is also available through the excellent Linux Mint Debian Edition, which already has Cinnamon by default, but you'll have to abandon the Ubuntu base in favor of Debian, which is also nice. LMDE (not Linux Mint LXDE, which is the LXDE desktop environment edition) is also a rolling release, so it's perpetually being upgraded with the latest software forever. It's a good alternative to the Ubuntu world.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby silent killer » Tue May 01, 2012 10:29 pm

KiBa wrote:^ Heh.

Yeah, I really like Kubuntu. If there are any GNOME fans out there, however, who do not like the new direction of Unity or Gnome-Shell, try Cinnamon from the Linux Mint team. It's probably the best new desktop environment based on the new GNOME 3 technologies, since it is very similar to GNOME 2 in appearance (but better, obviously) and completely configurable. You can try it through the last Linux Mint release or a PPA for the new Ubuntu 12.04. Or wait a little while until the latest Ubuntu 12.04-based Linux Mint is released, as Cinnamon will be the new Mint default desktop environment. The latest is also available through the excellent Linux Mint Debian Edition, which already has Cinnamon by default, but you'll have to abandon the Ubuntu base in favor of Debian, which is also nice. LMDE (not Linux Mint LXDE, which is the LXDE desktop environment edition) is also a rolling release, so it's perpetually being upgraded with the latest software forever. It's a good alternative to the Ubuntu world.

which is basically what I said, only in much fewer words and in less detail.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 am

Sorry, man. Just missed your post.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby silent killer » Mon May 07, 2012 2:51 pm

It's cool. I'm just fucking with you. :lol: :twisted:

silent killer has received a thanks from: KiBa
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 am

I'm back to Ubuntu after a long time spent with (fugly and stupid) Windows. The drivers issue for my WiFi card is finally gone so the experience would be perfect for me if only DeSmuME worked like it does under Win. Under Win, I get solid 60 FPS. Under Ubuntu, it's 30-40, no matter what I try. Sucks big-time, but I can't really go back to Win just for a DS emulator. Maybe I'll find a real DS in a waste container one day (because I gave up on hoping for an actual job in this shithole of mine).
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby KiBa » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 am

Oh, that's no problem, Dor. Why not try dual-booting? I dual boot for games. If you need Windows, Windows 8 preview is available for free until January. You'd only need to give up a few gigs for a DS emulator. If you need a step by step guide to partitioning, this one is well written: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/05/17/ho ... windows-7/
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:53 am

KiBa wrote: Oh, that's no problem, Dor. Why not try dual-booting? I dual boot for games. If you need Windows, Windows 8 preview is available for free until January. You'd only need to give up a few gigs for a DS emulator. If you need a step by step guide to partitioning, this one is well written: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/05/17/ho ... windows-7/

No, no, I've used dual-booting before. I know how it works, but I don't fancy splitting my disk and I have a big aversion towards Win. Plus, even though that emulation was fast, it was buggy and I don't really want to play SMT: SJ like that. Fuck emulation. I'm sticking to Ubuntu.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic