What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 pm

OL wrote: GOD DAMMIT.
Now Drakengard 3 is just pissing me off. Been playing all day so I can beat it, but now that I'm just about to hit the final stretch... it tells me I have to acquire every single weapon in the game before I can proceed.
Fucking hell.
This is the single cheapest possible way to lengthen a game's runtime, and they just have to use it in a game as technically-unsound and brain-punchingly repetitive as this. In some games, it might not seem like that big a deal. In this one, there are tons of weapons, and many of them are hidden in secret chests throughout levels. Which means that in order to see the actual ending, I not only have to earn the money to buy everything in the shop, but I also have to suffer through the exact same repetitive crap all over again.
Don't get me wrong, there are things about the game that I love; the story is great, the music is excellent, the characters are memorable (though their sexual schtick got old quick), and it's got that overall endearing Cavia style to it. But there was a certain point where the gameplay just stopped being fun, and the only reason I kept going was for the story. Now the game is throwing up a roadblock and saying "Hey player, FUCK YOU, I'm gonna force you to repeat the exact same shite you've been doing since the beginning of the game even more before I show you anything new."

And it's not even just that it's repetitive; I love games like Ken's Rage, for example, so repetition is usually no big deal to me. But when it's as glitchy and choppy as this, there just isn't anything to be gained from it aside from frustration.
I don't think I've been so torn on a game in a long, long time. I want to love it for the creative aspects, but the gameplay and technical stuff is just rubbish. And now it's making me jump through hoops to see the ending.
Gaaaaaah.

That's exactly the same bullshit Cavia pulled with Drakengard 1. Want to see the final ending? Then you have to collect all of the weapons in the game. I'm honestly surprised they brought this one aspect back to the game. I get the feeling that they feel they're almost punishing people who 100% games. It's almost like a troll, honestly. I remember getting the previous endings of Drakengard 1 through arbitrary means (there was different paths after each ending like the case seems to be with D3) but then the last ending/boss battle is locked behind a "collect weapons that could be anywhere on the map, so you have to basically play through the entire game again" is complete nonsense; I was like "fuck that" and watched the boss battle/ending on YouTube and I suggest you do the same for D3, since fans are saying the last ending is a complete troll/waste of time.

Anywho, speaking of D3, I've been playing it too, the only problem is the sound kept cutting out on the voice acting and since I started it in English VA, I basically had to restart the whole game again (just after beating Five and doing side quests) this time trying it with Japanese VA and the difference between the two is pretty big in tone. The English VA basically dub the characters (at least up until that point in the story) so hammy and over the top, whereas the Japanese VA seemed to get different direction with the characters and are played distinctively differently, I think (Zero sounds a lot less mad and shouting far less). It's a shame really since Nier features some of the best English VA this generation.

Did you opt for English VA, Orange, in the end up?

I do like the game so far, but like Orange the game is a bit of a mess really - seems incredibly rushed and on a super low budget. And rushing a game developed by Access Games is a recipe for disaster. Glitches, slowdown, sound cutting out intermittently (literally all the English voices just missing aside from Michael's, weirdly), texture popping, enemy AI all over the place. The game is just obviously unfinished and poorly programmed. If Square provided Taro with a better developer and more time and money, I think the game could have been a whole lot better than what it is, so it's a shame. I like how different the game feels to his previous works though, completely different tone to both Drakengard 1 and Nier, which both felt different from each other also.

Also been playing through the Fatal Frame series again, beaten 1 and 2, now on to 3. Classics.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri May 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah, I opted for the Japanese voices. Really glad I preordered now, since that was the only way to get them. I just couldn't take the idea of the English voices after the very first English trailer for the game. And every time the game boots up and I have to hear Mikhail saying "Zero, can I find a bush? I have to pee," in English, it just reinforces how much I prefer the Japanese track.
The only problem with playing in Japanese is that there's occasionally background chatter from the soldiers you're fighting which doesn't get subtitled. You distinctly hear a conversation going on, but don't know what they're saying. It's not essential, but it would have been nice to have some subs for that, too.
But yeah, good to see I wasn't just overreacting, and someone else feels the same about all the technical aspects and gameplay stuff. It could have been so much better, and I'm a bit sad that it wasn't. Either way, the story was a lot of fun, so I still think it was worth it for that. And I may just look up the ending, in light of what you said.

Just finished playing Brothers. Surprisingly sad ending. Very effective though. I really enjoyed it a lot. I already like Starbreeze for The Darkness, but it was really cool seeing how well they can pull off something so incredibly different from their usual first-person shooters.

And maybe it's just because it contrasts so starkly with Drakengard 3, but I'm shocked at how good it feels playing Asura's Wrath again. Everything about it is so high-quality and polished. I already loved the game on the first go-round a couple years ago, but I don't think I appreciated it as much as I could have back then. Playing it back-to-back with something as choppy and unsmooth as Drakengard, it really shines through just how much work must have gone into this game. I think it's safe to say it's one of my favorites of the past gen. I was right to be so excited about it pre-release.
Can't wait to finally hit the DLC chapters at the end of the game.

Henry Spencer wrote:Also been playing through the Fatal Frame series again, beaten 1 and 2, now on to 3. Classics.

I think I remember you saying that 3 was your least favorite back when I was playing through them, but it ended up being my own personal favorite of the bunch.
Hope it does better things for you this time 'round. ;-)
Excellent series.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:24 am

Fear Effect.

I forgot I was playing through this again before I played the sequel which I got...eons ago. I kinda remember what's going on, the story is fucking nuts.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Just have to say this: fuck that one ghost; the floating bitch who combs her hair and appears all of the time in Fatal Frame 3, out of nowhere. Creepy as hell, especially when you can't fight her off when playing as Kei (camera has no supernatural powers to fight off the ghosts). She is so frigging fast and I love how Fatal Frame 3 just doesn't ease you into the game at all and just assumes you've played the others.

Scary game is scarier than I remember (as in it's waaaaay more scary than Fatal Frame 2 was; it's almost at the level of Fatal Frame 1's level of "OMG/WTF/NO!") I mean what makes FF3 a little less scary than 1 is the breaks in between, whereas in FF1, you're trapped in that mansion the entire time and random ghosts are so frequent there. But FF3 definitely has the worse ghosts that you have to fight to advance the story.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Calshot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:17 pm

I've never played Fatal Frame, so I'm talking out of my ass here, but I think the Wii-U is a really good fit for the latest game. The Wii-U controller seems like a perfect analogue for a camera. If the controls are implemented well, it could really add to the immersion.

I've been playing a whole lot of JoJo: Allstar Battle to hype me up for each new episode of the anime. Neither have failed to disappoint. I'm currently playing the second Broken Sword to take a break from all the button mashing.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby OL » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Scary game is scarier than I remember (as in it's waaaaay more scary than Fatal Frame 2 was; it's almost at the level of Fatal Frame 1's level of "OMG/WTF/NO!") I mean what makes FF3 a little less scary than 1 is the breaks in between, whereas in FF1, you're trapped in that mansion the entire time and random ghosts are so frequent there. But FF3 definitely has the worse ghosts that you have to fight to advance the story.

The breaks were actually part of what made it the creepiest for me, personally. In the other two games I'd slowly get used to the constant creepy atmosphere, and eventually it almost feels "normal." With the breaks in FF3, it pulls you out long enough to have a breather, before forcing you back into the nightmares, making a great contrast between the "safe" parts and the dangerous ones.
Plus it becomes waaaay more effective once the nightmares start spilling over into the breaks. The feet below the stairs might have been my favorite.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:43 pm

I beat The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between worlds, and now im getting my bearings straight in Bravely Default and figuring out what I was doing since I havent played it in a few months. That moment when you have to figure out how to play again cause its been a little while.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:25 pm

FINALLY up to the DLC episodes in Asura's Wrath. So far they're every bit as polished and awesome as everything in the main game.
Still a bit miffed that there was never a "complete edition" or something of the sort, so I could have all the DLC on-disc. I don't think the game was quite as successful as Capcom was anticipating, so the fans lose out in the end.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:45 pm

What are you talking about OL? Of course all the DLC is on the disc, its capcom.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:05 pm

That's not true. I, too, have played Ashura's Wrath (which in my opinion is a great game) and like OL, after I finished the main game I downloaded and played the DLC episodes - for which I had to download and install about 1.5GB of game data. Quite a bummer, but was totally worth it (for me, that is).
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Mario Kart 8 and playing it like a champ.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Mario Kart 8 and playing it like a champ.

Naked and with beer?

CodingGenesis has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby Axm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:32 pm

MLB The Show '14
LOVE THIS GAME!
Such graphics
Much features
Very addict
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 pm

CodingGenesis wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: Mario Kart 8 and playing it like a champ.

Naked and with beer?

LOL!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:47 am

Well I did exactly what I said, and I picked up Bravely Default again. Man what a fun game that is, character customization in it is deep, and a very fresh take on turn based battles. Being able to switch out job classes between your characters is awesome, and some of these classes are just cool and give a bit of depth to battles because of their atributes. I am enjoying a fencer class that lets charge your sword with an element and you exploit the enemies weaknesses to fire thunder and blizzard right now depending on what you charge it with. im about 20 hours into the game now, it reminds me of alot of old final fantasy, even ff tactics.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming