What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:43 pm

I wanted to get acquainted with Kevin Harts films, so I started off with Think Like a Man, it ended up being a romantic comedy for stupid people, I didnt take much from it except I thought "dear god I hope people arent actually like this". It has a couple funny parts, but not a movie I would normally ever watch, I clearly started off on the wrong foot with the kevin hart films.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:36 pm

Just watched The Theory of Everything and found myself crying for no specifispecific reason. Humbled? Inspired? Enlightened? Sympathetic? I don't have a clue, but a fantastic movie, with sensational performances, not just from Eddie Redmayne, but from the whole cast.

Peter has received a thanks from: Rakim
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:57 am

Maze Runner.

I really wanted to like this movie because the concept is just so damn awesome. Kids trapped in a maze trying to get out and back to civilization? Awesome.

Unfortunately the end result is ridiculously overstuffed with contrived shit like:

viruses killing the brain, sun exploding causing the end of the world, and putting kids into the deadly maze...just so they can monitor their brain activity and see why they are immune to the virus? What the fuck is that shit all about?

That stupid bullshit aside, only a few of the characters are well-developed. But what holds even them back is retarded reasoning for them to act the way they do because the movie demands there to be conflict within the tribe of kids (one faction is for staying and the other is for leaving). And the idea for them to divide is good...just executed poorly.

Honestly this is just a hodgepodge of good ideas, great ideas, bad ideas, and WTF WERE THEY SMOKING THE LAWN GRASS ideas. And the lead in for the sequel just seems even dumber. Honestly this is just like the later entries of the Hunger Games and Divergent (from what a friend told me). Young Adult concepts with intriguing set-ups but really fucking dumb ways of justifying their existence. It's like a pretentious teenager trying to sound well-versed on a subject they barely read on a wikipedia article. It's embarrassing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:03 am

Godzilla.
Way too little of the title character. And it was frustrating as shit how the first couple times a potential monster fight starts... it cuts away. Made it feel cheap at first, like they were cutting corners in any way possible. The fight that eventually does happen near the end was pretty great though. Great special effects, and I love the way Godzilla actually looks. Great animation and all that.
Strangely though, the movie felt like it was really long... and yet I couldn't tell you where all that time went. It seems like so little actually happens in the plot after the first half hour, besides people talking about how bad the situation is. There's a lot of establishing stuff at the beginning which works pretty well (I actually really liked some of the basic modernized concepts and all). But after that it's like, hey, there are monsters roaming around... but we never get to see them actually doing anything notable.
And really strange thing to notice, but it felt like the sound effects were kind of weak. The monster roars were really good, but then in scenes where massive, crazy destruction is happening, the sound work all seems muffled and dull. Everything on an airport runway gets blown right the fuck up, but there's no impact because you can barely hear anything but people gasping. And when Godzilla is having a tussle near the end, you can hear its roars and all, but you hear none of the impacts from the two monsters fighting. It's really weird, because it could have felt a lot bigger if the sound work were more prominent and lively... but it isn't.
Also the ending is just silly. Everyone staring in joyous awe, when they all really should have been scared out of their fucking skulls. Just came off as dumb.

All the same, like I said, the actual fight near the end was really cool, and if the movie would have just had more of that, it might have been great. Weirdly, I am hoping for a sequel, if only to see if they can improve upon this one. There are some good ideas here, they just weren't implemented that well, and I think another flick could remedy the situation easily.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:36 pm

^You are far more forgiving than I am.

Fuck that movie.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby NewMyles » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:50 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I wanted to get acquainted with Kevin Harts films, so I started off with Think Like a Man, it ended up being a romantic comedy for stupid people, I didnt take much from it except I thought "dear god I hope people arent actually like this". It has a couple funny parts, but not a movie I would normally ever watch, I clearly started off on the wrong foot with the kevin hart films.

Good luck finding a "good" Kevin Hart movie. The guy is an alright actor, but just is so cliche, and the movies he's in are very predictable and cookie cutter.

Try Ride Along.
NewMyles
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Chaos » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:58 am

Just watched Birdman

I've been wanting to see this so bad since I first saw the trailer, but none of the movie theaters around me played it. Finally found a way to watch it through other means...

Best movie I've seen in years.

Chaos has received a thanks from: Kenny
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:02 am

Yah, Birdman is amazing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Everyone keeps talking about the Birdman movie but all I can keep thinking of when I hear it is this.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Vyse Hazuky
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:04 pm

^I hope they make a Peter Potamus one next
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:02 pm

I wanna see A Most Violent Year, it looks good. Comes out nation wide Jan. 30th I believe, its gotten great reviews.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:05 am

@OL Its the Batman Begins for this eventual trilogy I hope. Personally ya, I see the faults but overall I liked it alot.

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Chaos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:30 am

I really did not like godzilla at all. I had a really hard time giving a shit about the main character after
Bryan Cranston died so fast. The fight that finally came at the end was pretty cool though.

Pacific Rim was a better monster movie.

Chaos has received a thanks from: OL
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby OL » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:55 am

The Bride Wore Black.
I actually liked it a lot. It feels a bit budgety, even for a 1967 French film, but I suppose that's part of the charm. It still manages a nice bit of visual style, especially near the end, despite being very simply-shot. As a tale of revenge, it's almost Kill Bill-esque in that each target is sort of sectioned out into their own little "episodes." It's not an action movie by any means though. Not in the least. But I liked the lead actress a lot, in all her frowny glory. She has an unexpected kind of on-screen charm, and I wouldn't mind seeing more with her. She almost has a kind of Monica Bellucci-ish quality to her looks in some shots, so that probably added to it.

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:13 am

Back to the Future in Japanese dub..

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic