Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Metal Gear series

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:14 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear

Metal Gear series wrote:Metal Gear (メタルギア Metaru Gia?) is a series of stealth video games, created by Hideo Kojima and developed and published by Konami. The first game, Metal Gear, was released in 1987 for the MSX2. The player takes control of a special forces operative Solid Snake who is assigned to find the titular superweapon "Metal Gear", a bipedal walking tank with the ability to launch nuclear weapons. Several sequels have been released for multiple consoles after requests from Konami to produce new Metal Gear games. The sequels expand the original game's plot adding new characters opposing and supporting Snake, while there have also been a few prequels exploring the origins of the Metal Gear and recurring characters. Various parts were inspired by Hollywood films with character's names, settings and artworks often referencing them.

The series is famous for pioneering the stealth game genre, in which the character initially has only one weapon and has to go through the game to accomplish his mission by himself. Other notable traits are cinematic cut scenes, intricate storylines, offbeat humor and exploration of political and philosophical themes. The game franchise has sold over 30 million copies worldwide, with individual installments being critically acclaimed and receiving several awards. The franchise has also been adapted into other media such as comics and drama CDs.
Last edited by Henry Spencer on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Satoshi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:26 pm

Holy hell, that looked amazing. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but DAAAYME.
Satoshi
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Amazing.
One thing that struck me was the voice work. I'm now convinced that David Hayter, despite this being his only really notable role, is one of the best voice actors in the biz. Notice the raspier, kind of tired sound to Snake's voice? That's a beutiful little piece of subtlety, there. This is an even better case of "aging" the character vocally than even Kevin Conroy did for Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond.

And, hey, you knew it had to happen...

Vamp.

:D
Cool shit.
Though Raiden's voice sounds a little cheesy. Sure, he only says one line, but it sounded a little too "forced" to me. Maybe it's just that one line, though.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:25 pm

The biggest WTF for me was Liquid's voice. Sounds like he has twenty frogs hopping down his throat, what's happened to his voice? Seriously?

To me, it sounds like Greg Eagles, rather than Cam OR Patrick, which would be queer, to say the least.

I hated the motion capturing, it looked really put on and retarded, actually. The voice acting still doesn't reach the quality of MGS1 anyway, the guy spurting lines like 'Jonathan oh noes111!!!" especially, highlighted the bad VA. Phil La Marr was excellent with his voice, as usual (masterful voice actor). I just hope that Cam Clarke, who is to me, the best VA in the whole MGS series by a long shot, actually returns as Liquid, otherwise, bad step. Reportedly Cam knows nothing about MGS4, here's hoping he is having us all on.

I look forward to hearing the VA from the Japanese as well, Raiden's VA especially from over there, is so much better than over here. Though we have David Hayter and Cam Clarke (with hope) over here as the two better VA talents for the two leads.

Also, did you notice Naomi being on Liquid's side? WTF? :shock:

And is it just me or does one of Meryl's FOXHOUND team look distinctly like Fatman? He's the right shape, look and everything. Interesting.

Overall I'd rate the trailer a 7. Kojima's dealt out better trailers over the years, not to mention the awful motion capturing. Bah, I sound grumpy, but really, I'm disappointed with it, just a little. ;)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:10 pm

Nah, you're just not in the right mood. You grumpy bastard, you.

It wasn't Liquid's voice, it was Ocelot's. He says three words, and he was whispering, at that. Add to that that this is supposed to be a considerable amount of years in the future from MGS2, and it's not so strange that his voice would be a little raspier-sounding.
But like I said, it was only three whispered words. Nothing sufficient to judge it on, I'd say. But I thought it sounded distinctly like Ocelot's original voice actor.

And Naomi on Liquid's side?
I watched the trailer again, and I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. If you meant the woman on the helicopter, hell, that could have been anyone. The woman's features were so no-distinct, and it was a pretty far-off shot of her. Nah, I don't think it was Naomi. Kojima's not so sloppy as to have a character acting as a good guy in a voice over, then show them with the bad guys in the same trailer. That would be really uncharacteristicly sloppy of him.

And I can't see how you can criticize the motion capture, of all things. It looked just about the same quality as it ever was in previous games.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Ro Shen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:48 am

That trailer looked pure genius again from the man kojima, Vamp looks sooo fucking BAD ASS and loved the old voices back. 10/10
Last edited by Ro Shen on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ro Shen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Martin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:53 am

Orange Lightning wrote:I'm now convinced that David Hayter, despite this being his only really notable role, is one of the best voice actors in the biz. Notice the raspier, kind of tired sound to Snake's voice? That's a beutiful little piece of subtlety, there. This is an even better case of "aging" the character vocally than even Kevin Conroy did for Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond.

Hayter's a good voice actor, to be sure. But 'best in the business'? An accolade too far, perhaps? I liked how he's gone to the effort to make Snake sound older, that is a nice touch. Though it had to happen, really. While Hayter's good, I've found alot of his dialogue as Snake over the years sounding really shit and forced, as if Snake is putting on that voice.

For me, the only time he did a perfect performance for a whole game was the first time he did it. There's numerous parts in every game since (including the remake of MGS1) where he's obviously tried too hard to put the 'husky' voice on, and it's actually sounded like Snake is putting a voice on (to my ear). His original portrayal of Snake is the most natural, and his best to date. So far so good for MGS4, though. He really nailed all the lines in the trailer brilliantly.

Orange Lightning wrote:And, hey, you knew it had to happen...

Vamp.
:D
Cool shit.
Though Raiden's voice sounds a little cheesy. Sure, he only says one line, but it sounded a little too "forced" to me. Maybe it's just that one line, though.

Raiden's queer, anyway.

Orange Lightning wrote:Add to that that this is supposed to be a considerable amount of years in the future from MGS2, and it's not so strange that his voice would be a little raspier-sounding.

Not to be a cunt, but MGS4 takes place only six years after the end of MGS2. Says so in the trailer if you watch it carefully. Six years is no great amount of time. The only reason Snake appears decades older, is because he is a clone, and is experiencing accelerated degradation, or in other words- he's aging much too fast. It's a fault in the cloning process.

Remember a major reason why Liquid orchestrated the Shadow Moses incident, is because he knew about this, and needed Big Boss' remains to extract the DNA, and fix the error in the advanced genetic decomposition he and the genome soldiers were experiencing. Of course this is just a sub-plot to the master plot, which is that it was really the Patriots who were manipulating the whole affair.

Orange Lightning wrote:But like I said, it was only three whispered words. Nothing sufficient to judge it on, I'd say. But I thought it sounded distinctly like Ocelot's original voice actor.

That's because it was Ocelot's original MGS1/MGS2 voice actor- Patric Zimmerman. Not Cam Clarke, who was the voice of Liquid. Personally, I'm overjoyed that Cam Clarke is not returning. This isn't because I think he's shit or anything. His absence means that one of my biggest problems with the way MGS2's storyline was executed shouldn't be present. Now, I can suspend my disbelief enough to allow for the idea that the severed arm of a sick criminal may alter or influence the personality and/or mind of the person it is attached to (in fact, there have been reported cases of this in real life).

However, to the point where the person's vocal chords physically transform, and the structure of the throat and nasal passages change to exactly replicate the voice of the severed-arm's previous owner..? No. That was so gay in MGS2 when Ocelot had Liquid's fucking voice. So, so gay. It should have just been Ocelot 'not quite sounding himself', so to speak. So yeah, I'm glad Cam Clarke isn't back for MGS4, and that Patric Zimmerman is returning to his rightful role as Ocelot, albeit 'Liquid Ocelot'. Cam Clarke was fantastic as Liquid, but Liquid was killed two games ago, and only his arm remains. There's no reason why his actual voice should ever be heard again, lest Liquid's body arises from the grave.

Sidenote; Revolver Ocelot = best character in the series? I fucking love him! The way he's so complicated, and that you can never really figure out who he's working for... really makes my cock hard. He's the thing that ties all the games together, too. He's the only character present who was alive and active during all of the games. He didn't actually feature in MG and MG2, but he was obviously out and about doing his quadruple-crossing spy' jazz elswhere, during those games.

Plus, he's the son of the Boss and The Sorrow from MGS3 (he is, it's alluded to several times within the game, and Kojima has stated that he is in interviews). So really, Ocelot kind of parallels Snake. Both of their parents were held the title of 'The Boss', and though Snake's link to Big Boss is that of clonage, and not actual natural parentage, the link is obviously the same in principal. They were both estranged from their parents, believing to have no parents (assuming Ocelot has no knowledge of his origins, which seems to be the case).

I reckon there might be a scene or two in MGS4 where Ocelot discovers who his mother was, which could make for an interesting emotional turn-around, seeing as he's effectively got the arm of the man who killed her attached to his body, and it was the people he's been working for all along (The Patriots, then called The Philosophers) who arranged to have her killed in the first place, and he has been working at the behest of the folks who have basically caused everything.

If this happens, I wonder how this will effect him. Will it make him turn against the hypocrisy which has caused every bad thing in the whole series to happen, or whether he won't care, or whether he knows who his parents were already, or whether Kojima will glaze over this potentially really cool plot point altogether. Needless to say, MGS4, plotwise, has the potential to be the best. Oh yeah, and Meryl's back. Lots of emotional arcs culminating at one final point. This game should r0xx0rz.

The whole game sort of revolves around the pretense that Ocelot is possessed by Liquid. I predict that the end of the game might not necessarily be Snake killing Liquid Ocelot, but rather, the real Ocelot, who has become ever more repressed as Liquid had taken more and more of a hold on him over the last six years, the real Ocelot may somehow dispel Liquid from his mind. Drive him out, exorcist-style. Perhaps the revelation about the identity of his mother, and her eventual fate at the hands of Big Boss, at the whim of The Patriots, may be the trigger for Ocelot regaining his sanity, and sanctity over his mind once more.

I'd even go so far as predicting a scene where Ocelot removes the arm somehow, or maybe it gets damaged in battle. The latter being another possible trigger for the real Ocelot regaining control.

Can't wait!
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby ys » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:33 am

Henry Spencer wrote:To me, it sounds like Greg Eagles, rather than Cam OR Patrick, which would be queer, to say the least.

Though having Cam there would be literally queer ;)

Otherwise the plot points Martin mentioned should be in the game really. Or maybe Kojima has something unexpected to surprise the fans.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby FRASIER » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:34 am

when will they be releasing actual gameplay videos, all I have seen is these cutscenes, sure they look amazing, but would it not be in the best of peoples interest to actually see the game being played instead of these cinematic trailers, which tend to get tiresome, great build up though, to what will be a console defying game!! p.s as much as I hate to say it, O.L you are right!! the more I think of it 360 wont get MGS4 ever, or for a long time anyway!
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:02 am

Watch the HD trailer, Orange, that is definitely Naomi.

The same clothes, face, everything.

And yeah, I'm bitter about Cam Clarke not returning, always thought he was the best voice over, no offense to Pat, but he always just sounds like an old man, whilst Cam sounds you know, actually evil. According to Kojima though, at the end of MGS2, Ocelot was completely overtaken by Liquid. So it seems that Pat's voicing Cam's part or something. :?

And yeah, Meryl's squad seem to consist of some the Policenauts' cast members. (Jonathan, Ed, Tony and Meryl).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Ro Shen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:16 am

The demo will be playable at tokyo game show 1 week later, hideo kojima will be showing a demonstration with actual in-game graphics. Now were going to see what the ps3s power is all about yehyyy cant wait.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1743.html
Ro Shen

Postby FRASIER » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:57 am

When is TGS 2007????
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alimn » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:27 am

^the show will be held from September 20th to the 23rd
and for the first time it will be four days! HELL YES!

...About this topic:

WTF! VAMP!!! he was my favorite enemy from MGS2!
and I killed him! why he is still alive!

Regards-Alimn
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FRASIER » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:28 am

"can vampires be killed?"
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alimn » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:48 am

^I remember that I killed him!!!about two times?, LOL!

No problem! I will kill him again and this time on PS3, lol!

Regards-Alimn
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming