inspiration for shenmue?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

inspiration for shenmue?

Postby redline » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:14 pm

so what was the inspiration for shenmue?

i mean if you read most of the talks with the creater of metal gear solid~ hideo kojima, he says it came from american films such as "escape from LA" and the actors such as "mel gibson" + "Lee Van Cleef" etc ...

has any of the sega team every said anything, to hint at what it was based around/inspired by?

thanks
8)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TheEdge » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Shenmue is an adventure game for the Sega Dreamcast, produced and directed by Yu Suzuki of Sega-AM2. Suzuki coined a new genre title, "FREE" (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment), for the game, based on its unparalleled interactivity and freedom, as well as the innovative real-time and weather systems. However, Shenmue most resembles an adventure game in terms of gameplay focus. Shenmue covers the first chapter of an epic story which continues into Shenmue II. Shenmue is the most expensive video game ever produced.

Not everyone will "get" the "Shenmue" series. The game tells a finely crafted and interesting story at its own pace, and those without the patience to appreciate it may not understand what all the fuss is about. However, "Shenmue" succeeds at just about everything it sets out to do. Anyone looking for a unique title with a great story need not look any farther.

This is what I got from IMDB. Sounds good to me for inspiration from Yu.
TheEdge
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby VGAce » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:16 pm

Unfortunately, the only person who can tell us the inspirations for Shenmue is Yu Suzuki, and he really ain't talking all that much lately. I believe he's said a few things over the years concerning his inspiration for the game and its story, but I can't remember specifics and I don't recall it being very substantial information anyway. Some choice quotes could probably be found on that matter should anyone feel so inclined to seek them out.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:38 pm

TheEdge wrote:
Shenmue is an adventure game for the Sega Dreamcast, produced and directed by Yu Suzuki of Sega-AM2. Suzuki coined a new genre title, "FREE" (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment), for the game, based on its unparalleled interactivity and freedom, as well as the innovative real-time and weather systems. However, Shenmue most resembles an adventure game in terms of gameplay focus. Shenmue covers the first chapter of an epic story which continues into Shenmue II. Shenmue is the most expensive video game ever produced.

Not everyone will "get" the "Shenmue" series. The game tells a finely crafted and interesting story at its own pace, and those without the patience to appreciate it may not understand what all the fuss is about. However, "Shenmue" succeeds at just about everything it sets out to do. Anyone looking for a unique title with a great story need not look any farther.

This is what I got from IMDB. Sounds good to me for inspiration from Yu.

That's called a summary. He's talking about inspiration and influence.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: inspiration for shenmue?

Postby Kiyuu » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:54 pm

redline wrote:so what was the inspiration for shenmue?

i mean if you read most of the talks with the creater of metal gear solid~ hideo kojima, he says it came from american films such as "escape from LA" and the actors such as "mel gibson" + "Lee Van Cleef" etc ...

has any of the sega team every said anything, to hint at what it was based around/inspired by?

thanks
8)

Yu Suzuki has said that he got the inspiration for Shenmue while he was visiting China
in 1994 to make some researches for the Virtua Fighter series. It's the "vast property"
and the "profound history" of China that gave him the ideas of the saga. He called it
his "romanticism toward the Chinese continent" in the Project Berkley disc.

Anyway, you can see him talk about how he made Shenmue in that disc. Check out
what he says in this page of the Dojo, if you don't mind my poor translation:

http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/imag ... erkley.txt
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby TheTimeRanger » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:55 am

A couple of days ago i saw a movie called "as tears go by" from 1988. There were loads of small things that made me think of Shenmue. Even down to the main character having a plaster over his left side of his face :P

Strange HK movie, but glad I saw it
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jed » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:30 pm

probably old kung fu movies like Big boss.
Jed
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby redline » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:40 pm

i was watching tv 2days ago and a film called "big trouble in little china" ... man that film made me think of Shenmue
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby longzun zhao » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:32 am

big trouble in little china does remind alot of people about shenmue but its not good of a film.
longzun zhao
Master of the Three Blades

Postby redline » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:17 pm

haha
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Fist of Legend » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:27 pm

TheTimeRanger wrote:A couple of days ago i saw a movie called "as tears go by" from 1988. There were loads of small things that made me think of Shenmue. Even down to the main character having a plaster over his left side of his face :P

Strange HK movie, but glad I saw it

I love Wong Kar-wai movies. His last few projects have sucked, but his earlier stuff is superb.
Fist of Legend
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby longzun zhao » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:59 pm

i dont no why but i love all the old kung-fu films
longzun zhao

Postby Clint » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:41 pm

longzun zhao wrote:i dont no why but i love all the old kung-fu films

Do you? Do you really? :)
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Hazuki Legend » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Clint wrote:
longzun zhao wrote:i dont no why but i love all the old kung-fu films

Do you? Do you really? :)

Was that quoted from Stewie on Family Guy? You know where that girl moans about having a bladder infection or something.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Postby longzun zhao » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:59 am

classic episode the one when stewie trys to make the english girl speak like an american.classic
longzun zhao

Return to Shenmue III