The Bioshock thread

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

The Bioshock thread

Postby beedle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:23 pm

After yesterday's internet faking malarkey, the first real BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams details have emerged, via the pages of Game Informer mag in the US.

Big spoilers ahead...

Subscribers have revealed that the game takes place ten years after the events of the first BioShock and the Big Sister, a grown up little sister from the first game, is now the biggest nightmare in Rapture.

You play as (drum roll...) the first ever Big Daddy. You can use your massive drill, rivet gun, trademark shoulder bash as well as plasmids similar to ones from the first game. You're out, as every Big Daddy is, to harvest Adam from the corpses littering Rapture. You do this by taking on other Big Daddies and adopting their little sisters (you can also opt to harvest them) to help your cause.

If you adopt a little sister she'll ride on your shoulder, allowing you to hunt out precious Adam. Once you've discovered a corpse you'll have to protect the little one from a wave of attacking splicers until she's finished doing the job.

But the more confident you become and the more rival Big Daddies you kill brings you closer to incurring the wrath of the swift and devastating Big Sister. When you do, the little sister you're with will sing a song about how the Big Sister doesn't want you playing with her, and then you'll get chinned by the cow.

Actual plot details and your role in the underwater city's story are unclear at the moment. However In other itty-bitty details, plasmid trees are said to be more diverse, with more 'unique' powers sitting at the top. Player-resurrecting vita chambers are said to return and an undisclosed multiplayer mode is also confirmed.

There you are then. It sounds like we're due for another dramatic return to Rapture - and thank god there aren't any Soviets. More info, as we get it...

I loved the first Bioshock, mainly for its story, but I'm slightly pessimistic about the sequel. Big sister concept could be interesting... although I hope they make a new theme, as opposed to the firsts (somewhat anti) free market concept.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Fuck Gameinformer and fuck gamestop/ebgames(quota)

Now as for Bioshock. Playing as the first big daddy...hmm while I am sure the game will be good but Bioshick comes across as one of those great games that should not have sequels and prequels IMO.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby beedle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Ryudo™ wrote:Fuck Gameinformer and fuck gamestop/ebgames(quota)

?
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Sir beedle'R'us wrote:
Ryudo™ wrote:Fuck Gameinformer and fuck gamestop/ebgames(quota)

?

NM.

Just a former employee who quit after working there for a year,I can write a book how shady that corp is and their fucking propaganda owned mag.

Course everyone who leaves that company hates them and is happier after leaving.
Though to get an idea there is that 10 part series on youtube to just get a taste how they can fuck themselves.

Sorry don't mean to ruin your topic...I am not one to hold grudges but Gamestop is one titanic exception.

Anyway go on about bioshock.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby beedle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:08 pm

I'm sceptical. Bioshock ended really well and I don't want that ruined. But if they pull it off right, it'll be worth it.

The big daddy part in the first was a bit shit to be honest, though.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Damnit does every game have to have multiplayer tacked on?
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/16/biosh ... /#comments
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:29 pm

So people will have a reason to buy and keep it and not rent or sell it back once you're done?

Though for Bioshock its gonna be...weird.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby stigee » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Loved the original Bioshock. I hope they don't screw with the formula too much. Playing as a Big Daddy could be interesting.
stigee
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Sounds like shit.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Sequels, sequels, sequels. Anyone else sick of sequels?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ys » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Yes, with a few exceptions. For example a game like Shenmue where it was planned from the start that not everything could be shown in one single game. What I'm tired of though is these kind of tacked on sequels just because the first game was successful.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby stigee » Wed May 13, 2009 9:28 pm

OK, I can understand some people not looking forward to Bioshock 2 because you feel it's a tacked on sequel but don't tell me this 9 minute walkthrough isn't cool. I'm still excited.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14240341/bioshock-2/videos/bioshock2_trl_walk051209c.html
stigee
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Still looks like a tacked on sequel.
All the underwater part is make me wish they developed an underwater sea exploration game like a HD Endless ocean or dream of a new Ecco game.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Thu May 14, 2009 12:09 am

It doesn't look awful, but it is pretty underwhelming. It just looks like an expansion pack or something. Graphics are pretty much exactly the same, environments (which weren't even particularly varied in the original) are the same... and I thought you saved all the little sisters in the first? If this is several years after the original, how are they still there...?

They really should have done something different. Make a new underwater city. A rival to Ryan's or something. I love the first game to death, but I see no reason to play this one when it's essentially... the same thing.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby beedle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm enjoying this so far. It's a lot more atmospheric than the first game, although the gameplay and graphics are very similar to the original. But nobody actually plays bioshock for the gameplay, do they?

I do think they could have updated the graphics though, would have added to it.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming