dev comment of the day topic

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

dev comment of the day topic

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Rovio!
http://www.gamesradar.com/iphone/angry- ... 4415938028

For once Reggie is right.
I don't like I have to agree with him
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Cunt fart comment of the week goe's to....

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Rovio should win a few.

This game is worth the same amount

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJdJhsTV0yM[/youtube]

as this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r-rlrlBIAQ[/youtube]

#-o
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:19 pm

:lol: plus we played angry bird long before angry birds. Many free flash games just like it on the web.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:32 pm

Man, I don't think I'd pay full price for it, but OoT 3D looks good.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Hate 3D, and am pretty much turning against the 3DS. Id rather plug in the N64 and fire up the original. IGN has a recent article comparing the two, and i think they totally disregard the original textures in respect of the atmosphere they provided. Clearer, sharper and more detailed isnt always a good thing.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:43 am

Peter wrote:Hate 3D, and am pretty much turning against the 3DS. Id rather plug in the N64 and fire up the original. IGN has a recent article comparing the two, and i think they totally disregard the original textures in respect of the atmosphere they provided. Clearer, sharper and more detailed inst always a good thing.

Atmosphere is still there, its still that kinda dark and creepy sort of game with eerie ambient music where it counts.

Its just overall better even without the 3d. Certain parts are brighter but its mostly because the b54 version had some really bad lighting
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

David Cage: L.A Noire tech is 'interesting dead end'

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:41 am

Heavy Rain creator David Cage has predicted that photo-realistic graphics will be possible within the next six years - and revealed that he is unconvinced by the long-term potential of new facial capture techniques used to make Rockstar's L.A Noire.

Speaking to CVG, Cage said that Quantic Dream is already employing new technology to capture full body performance in unannounced games. He claimed these projects were already showing "significant progress" on what the studio achieved with Heavy Rain last year.

L.A Noire benefits from DepthAnalysis' Motion Scan technology, which requires in-game actors re-record scenes whilst just their head is filmed by 32 HD cameras from various angles. This has allowed developer Team Bondi to represent subtle facial movements during gameplay. Bondi and L.A Noire co-creator Rockstar have proudly claimed that MotionScan represents a "revolution" for motion capture in games, but Cage is less convinced.

He told CVG: "What to say about L.A Noire? I think it's an interesting solution to a problem for now. But it's also an interesting dead end. That's exactly what I feel. Their technique is incredibly expensive and they will never be able to shoot body and face at the same time."

Cage revealed that Quantic Dream is using performance capture that reads both actors' body and faces in one shot - which he believes will lead to real graphical advancement.

"We are doing that now [at Quantic], and our next games will be shot with performance capture," he explained. "We see a huge difference between shooting the face and body separately and shooting everything at the same time. Suddenly you've got a real sense of acting that is consistent. You can't imagine how related what you say with your face is to what your body does.

"[Those using MotionScan] will never be able to do that. The other thing is that they can't have real time lighting. Their technique means they can't have lighting the way I think we should do it. Basically, they take pictures; they take scans several times per frame. They also have limitations on the shaders they use, they can't re-target the eyes because they eyes are captured. When you have actors in real time you like to to re-target the eyes to make sure they look at each other [convincingly] etc. etc.

"It's a list of important problems that cannot be solved with their technology. I think L.A Noire looks good - honestly, it does - but I don't think they'll go much further than where they are. With the technology we use, we can improve; there is a lot of room for improvement and we hope to show very soon where we are now. We've made significant progress since Heavy Rain and will continue to make progress until we reach the stage of Avatar. That is probably three, four five years from now."

When we asked if Cage was referring to the photo-realistic visuals seen in James Cameron's blockbuster movie, he replied:

"Yes. Four or five years. Maybe it's going to require a new [gaming] platform, but when you look at where real-time is right now, it's probably where CG was five, six years ago. You can say there's a five-year gap between CG and real time. Avatar was released last year, so that's where we should be in five, six years from now."

Rockstar this week revealed that L.A Noire will be the first video game to ever feature at the respected Tribeca Film Festival in New York next month. The detective thriller will be released on 360 and PS3 in May.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/29 ... he-future/
He needs to be able to make his characters walk in a realistic way first! Guys becoming a troll the past couple of months.
Would also like him to try and make something original rather than just copying everyone elses ideas and calling them his own.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: David Cage: L.A Noire tech is 'interesting dead end'

Postby Bluecast » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:47 am

Um Dreamcast in 1999 with Shenmue called and Loled.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:56 am

Im sure Cage will say his never heard of Shenmue.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:32 am

He can go suck a dick.

He's mostly just trolling. We all know about Shenmue and we all know about the tech used, according to him THAT was a dead end to (based on the specific flaws he point out) but Sega improved the technology and R* took some of the ideas and ran with it to improve it a bit more. unless he's releasing a game that looks like avatar next year he can stfu because if he's planning to have something out in 2016 by then we'll have made improvements and will be seeing a new game based on new tech.

Haters gunna hate right Jason?

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooon.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:33 am

Cage is just jealous, I think. At least, that's how he comes off. The animations of the characters in Heavy Rain were atrocious and distracting and the facial tech wasn't all that hot, either. We'll see how LA Noire ends up.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Well, oddly, I think he's right about it being too expensive for what it is, and the fact that the faces aren't done at the same time as the bodies makes it all look pretty effing weird.
But at the same time, he does just sound like a jealous prick.
"My studio's doing it better! You'll see!
You'll ALL see!"
*runs off crying*
I seriously doubt he's doing anything "better" right now, and I think he needs to stop belittling the accomplishments made by others. What a fucking asshat.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm

The only thing this is impacting are people who read this stuff. Like Tomonobu Itagaki talking trash about Tekken. The animations in Heavy Rain were pretty good but in some parts needed some serious work. Its easy to read these articles and call the work done 'trash' in retaliation. The opposite is true if we read how sensitive and caring the creator is, the pretty good work that's done will be called 'masterful' (Last Guardian comes to mind).

Newer tech for the subtle facial animations would be interesting but I didn't think it was totally convincing in Avatar. By then, I think it'll advance to the point where it'll work out. And other game studios will nail it by then too. These articles in particular are funny. He can mouth off all he wants but all I want is the final product to speak for itself.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:10 pm

OL wrote:Well, oddly, I think he's right about it being too expensive for what it is, and the fact that the faces aren't done at the same time as the bodies makes it all look pretty effing weird.

thing is its the only really viable option right now. Whats revolutionary is how much work is being put behind it but as I mentioned before its not necessarily new. Every wonder why theres 3 Actors credited to Chris Redfield in RE 5?

Basically for now its gotta be done this way, because this is the only way to make a plausible game, which i think is the most important word there. You could make a CG only "game" that plays like heavy rain, IE QTE to QTE on a straight path.

whatever he's using likely won't be out for a while and even if it is its not going to be a system that goes very far. LA Noire, Shenmue, Onimusha etc are games that are not exactly small so using an expensive new technology that wasn't created for interactivity isn't exactly good for games that are 100x bigger and more interactive then something like Heavy Rain.

plus like I said before when he's ready to have something out, other companies will be ready to use the technology as well (and most likely more effectively)

He's basically just trollin.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:37 pm

Right, well one thing I should have said is that technology is always taken one step at a time. His comments that it's a "dead end" are fucking ridiculous since, obviously, it isn't a dead end at all; it's just going to lead to better, more advanced places.

Not really a fan of photorealism myself anyway, but it's obviously not a dead end.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming