DMC [Reboot]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

DMC [Reboot]

Postby OL » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:26 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/dmcd ... Bgamespace

#-o
Fuck you, Capcom.
Well, I guess this is the end of the real Devil May Cry series. The end of the real Dante.
Instead, we get some western-developed bullshit starring a black-haired non-Dante who looks like a fucking extra from a Saint's Row game.
I reiterate: FUCK YOU, Capcom.
This ain't going to appeal more to western gamers, as you're hoping. If anything, you're just turning off the already established fanbase. Stupid fucking move.
Sure, I'll wait to see it the game is actually any good, but as it stands now, I'm pissed. Been waiting for another Devil May Cry, and THIS IS NOT IT.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Devil May Cry 5

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 pm

If the game sucks but outsells the others I'm going to destroy all my design docs and cry.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:37 pm

OL not really just fuck Capcom but really fuck all these Japanese developers whoring out major franchises to western developers.

Only thing I am surprised about is his head isn't shaved. Well that is one step forward in a gritty western game.
:P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Well to their credit they hit the nail on the head with Dead Rising.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Oops, just went into the TGS topic and found that this is the main point of contention so far.
Sorry, didn't know it had been covered.
Either way, if the reaction on here is anything to go by, I can't imagine it's going to go over well anywhere else. I'm just pissed that I've been waiting 3 or 4 years for another game in the series, and they suddenly pull this shit on us. Maybe this outcry can get to the devs, and they can fucking change this retarded shit.
Doubtful.
But still, it's worth hoping for.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:09 pm

I don't know why but the more I look at this new Dante the more I get reminded of these dipshit pretty boy villians in some Blade movies and that AWFUL Ghost Rider movie,also get that vibe of the later 90's upteenth crappy Crow sequels.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 pm

a friend of mine from Capcom asked me what i thought...I'm going to avoid him until I figure out what to say.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Can we please not call this DMC5? Because it's not DMC5 at all, it's a reboot. And a pretty pointless one.

Playing devil's advocate here for a moment and saying that, in it's defense, it is a reboot and thus they have the license to take the game in any direction they wish. They can pretty much do away with any kind of series canon or continuity. So they can never even mention the likes of Sparda, Vergil, Lady, Trish, with justification. They can make Dante look and act however they wish, with justification. I, like many others, wonder why in god's name they gave him black hair when his trademark white/silver hair is hereditary from birth or make him smoke when Hideki Kamiya specifically designed Dante not to smoke because he thought he would be cooler for it, but again, they can just say it's a reboot innit?

Ok, devil's advocate mode switched off right now, so let me say I was hugely disappointed when I first of all heard it was Ninja Theory behind it. They're not necessarily a bad developer, but it was an immediate indication of what the game was going to play like. QTE's and simplified combat. It's not what I expect from a DMC game with it's combo possibilities and focus on stylish gameplay. I'm probably one of the only few ones who think that DMC4 was in fact perfectly accessible on the default setting so I certainly wouldn't want a game that played like Heavenly Sword, something widely regarded as a below average GoW clone, and that's being generous. Then I saw the screenshots and the trailer and Dante......I like to think that Dante is a notable character in the industry. He's no Mario, but if you show a picture of him to someone who follows the game industry heavily, then they can likely identify him. So I really don't understand the need for a re-invention. And into such an ugly character too. Is this really what they think Western audiences prefer? Ugly ass characters? Is it because they read too many comments from 12 yr olds or sexually confused males when they saw an open shirted Dante in DMC3 and labelled him as effeminate? What was effeminate about Dante in the games other than DMC3 exactly? Was it the overalls? The masculine voice? The stubble he got in DMC4? This 'new' Dante? He looks terrible. I am not appealed by this character at all. I like how Dante looks and behaves in DMC3 and 4. A cool, carefree, swaggering badass who likes to show off with style at any opportunity and making the art of demon slaying look a hell of a lot easier than it is. I look at this new one and think he'd be better suited on the catwalk of a hipster fashion event. Or a Sid Vicious knock off. I read a comment that summed my feeling up, how can I feel like I'm playing Devil May Cry when this non-Dante makes me feel like I'm playing a DMC knock off?

Now, I'm not so much of a ravid fanboy that I'm calling out for Ninja Theory's heads or demanding the game to be scrapped. In fact, I welcome it when someone decides to shake up a long running series and see what happens. Hell I should probably be quiet until I see some actual gameplay or play a demo. I just consider it a very odd decision from Capcom. DMC is one of their top IP's, so the need to reinvent it is rather pecuilar. Really, I would have been sold on DMC5. People complain about DMC4 because of those backtracking moments but really, it was a fairly early next gen console game, which I believe was rushed just to get it out there for release. I'm sure they know about that criticism all too well so it would be unlikely to be repeated.

Here I was thinking DMC2 was the black sheep of the family. I seriously hope Capcom haven't given up on the 'original' DMC. I'll miss that type of gameplay or the craziness that you can only really seem to get from a Japanese developer. And don't tell me Ninja Theory are likely to replicate that. They won't. Otherwise why outsource the development to a Western developer when they can't even make interesting DMC clones? Seems that with the release of Bayonetta, it's been rightly regarded as the best in the genre, so expectations were certainly high on what to expect from DMC5 were it to ever be released. Sadly, this seems like a huge step back and I feel saddened that the decision by Capcom has pissed off diehard fans and alienated non-fans even further from the series. It almost seems like no hope for a return to classic form if it is badly regarded and that, sadly, kills enthusiasm for the genre and removes an OTT, crazy game from an industry so saturated in self-seriousness or 'realism'. It just makes the industry less exciting.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Silent Hill 5/Shattered scary ice memories,Front Mission Evolved,Bionic Commando,Almost but thankfully canned Grins Final Fantasy etc... and this just keeps the anger flowing of all these Japanese franchises turned to appeal more to the west is sickning and alienating it's current fanbase.
Series didn't need a reboot and even if so this still is not the answer.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Your devils advocate was a tiny bit weak, I'll help.

Its not "technically" Devil may Cry, as Tuffty said its "DMC" and they could choose to make this about a very young Dante. It doesn't mean THE Dante but a young Dante. Nero never got a full explanation and he (new dante) looks like some kind test subject. He also never goes devil mode. Its possible he's a clone, or that he's 15 year old tortured Dante, orrrrr Dante's kid. Just because his name is Dante, doesn't mean he's the protagonist from Devil may Cry, shin Megami Tensei Nocture (I pretend 2 never happened and this is really DMC 2) and DMC 3 and 4. Also the game doesn't look like its super cutscene heavy, some of the animations while he's fighting are exactly the same so truthfully that could all be real time. Also I'm pretty sure you can do the jump thing off the wall as well, its generally my experience you put something like that in a trailer and keep repeating it because its something you're proud of, and you don't repeat an animation like that in a cut scene unless you have a good reason (which there wasn't) most Capcom reps are saying, "watch and wait" or "give it time" which for Dead Rising 2, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Megaman Universe was a very good thing. BTW 2 of those are western developed.

On the other hand that whip sword really worries me we'll see another Vania ripoff with dumbed down mechanics.

ohhh one last thing. Even if we all hate it and pledge never to buy it, what if the casual crowd grabs on and never lets go? Remember Resident Evil?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:04 pm

^ Yeah you put up a better Devils Advocate but we know the reality is,"DMC" is just a marketing decision to re brand and streamline the name. (trend among movies and tv and many games today) We all know more likely this is just a total re imagining western style with "MOAR REALISM" of the original Dante to appeal to hipster gamers out west today.

bleh
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Ryudo wrote:^ Yeah you put up a better Devils Advocate but we know the reality is,"DMC" is just a marketing decision to re brand and streamline the name. (trend among movies and tv and many games today) We all know more likely this is just a total re imagining western style with "MOAR REALISM" of the original Dante to appeal to hipster gamers out west today.

bleh

:cry: I know and so i reiterate.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:If the game sucks but outsells the others I'm going to destroy all my design docs and cry.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:23 pm

I can see this being like the Prince of Persia series. People will hate it and afterwards they will go back to the old style.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:15 pm

Yeah, this isn't DMC5 at all, they are actually wanting this to be a reboot. Notice how there's no "5" in the title? Oh boy.

I said this before, but want to re-iterate this. Read this article and try not to get pissed.
http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-no-worri ... 3972.phtml

Always felt like Inafune was overrated and after reading this, I feel even more infuriated. Fuck Inafune.

And fuck this guy too who is the director of this...mess of a "reboot"

8:58PM Ninja Theory director Tameem Antoniades takes the stage. "We're taking a younger Dante" that incorporates the youth culture of today, from fashion to music to street art, etc.

And yeah, I've seen nothing but disdain from the DMC forums, just head on over to the Capcom Forums and you'll see what I mean. This really has me very worried for Resident Evil 6, Mega Man Legends, Strider, Final Fight, Breath of Fire and all of those other classic Capcom titles that they may just decide to bring back in the future...expect them to be developed by mediocre studios and expect you to be happy about it. Since according to Inafune in that article I posted, it's going to continue for the foreseeable future.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:18 pm

again:

"I guess you could give Strider to Ready at Dawn that'd piss me off and give me an aneurysm."
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming