Biohazard

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Resident Evil

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Mate, that's an advert for DLC, blatantly only being put out on the internet. I thought we were talking adverts on the TV, which were the live-action ones we were talking about. They know only us people see those adverts, ones who 'are gamers' and look up stuff on the internet and go on gaming websites.

Which brings up an interesting point, I now understand why they do live-action TV trailers. They know that us people see the gameplay online, anyway. We've seen loads of the game before we buy. Average Joe doesn't. His exposure needs to be very attention-grabbing and memorable. Or that's what the publicity arm was telling them.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Martin wrote: Mate, that's an advert for DLC, blatantly only being put out on the internet. I thought we were talking adverts on the TV, which were the live-action ones we were talking about. They know only us people see those adverts, ones who 'are gamers' and look up stuff on the internet and go on gaming websites.

Which brings up an interesting point, I now understand why they do live-action TV trailers. They know that us people see the gameplay online, anyway. We've seen loads of the game before we buy. Average Joe doesn't. His exposure needs to be very attention-grabbing and memorable. Or that's what the publicity arm was telling them.

Its a trailer though, see thats another part of why its so muddled, they're all just called trailers.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:39 am

My point wasn't that live-action trailers can't work, just that they almost never do. Outside of goofy humorous ones, I can't remember the last time I ever saw a good one.
Sure, strict gameplay footage might not necessarily express why the game is worth it (one has to actually feel the way a game plays for themselves to understand that), but at least gamplay footage show what's actually in the game. At least it's honest.
You wouldn't advertise a movie or tv show with practically unrelated videogame footage. Kind of strange that the opposite is still somehow acceptable.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:07 am

i played the resident evil 6 demo & it seems ok ( im looking forward to it)

but why is the game so dark? i mean the graphics that bad that they need to hide them under poor in game lighting :???: - resident evil 4 looks better than res6
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:16 am

Live action or gameplay? Why not both :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yduc3xJknhg[/youtube]

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Biohazard

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Somebody is posting impressions of RE6 on NeoGAF and it's sounding really good.

Can you start the game with the secondary character from each campaign or you gotta have to play with Leon, Chris, and Jake and once you clear the campaigns you can choose whoever you want?

You can start with secondary. And it's a good thing, too. Which character you choose actually makes a huge difference, more so than I was expecting.
The most extreme example is one chapter of one of the campaigns where you and your partner start at completely different points and take completely different paths through half the stage. You both have different opening cinematics for the chapter, and aid each other through-out but you both have completely different experiences before you regroup. But a lot of chapters in the game have a lot of changes based on who you choose to play as.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=2072

Getting PSX era Resi Evil vibes from that! Branching scenarios is a big deal to me.

Also, you can pick and choose whichever storyline you like as you play the game (swap between Jake, Leon and Chris). The general consensus among those who got their copies early is that Jake is the favourite campaign (most varied, surprisingly well designed). Sorta surprised by that, I expected Leon's to end up being the most popular. Can't help but get excited about the game now.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:10 pm

^Are you also a GAFfer or GAF lurker, Spence?
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Just a lurker really.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Birty
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Just curious ;)
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Day one.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Birty » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Axm wrote: Day one.

You got it yet?
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby OL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 am

:lol: The topic title has changed.

But yeah, those tidbits about alternate routes depending on the character sound great.
I think this is going to turn out better than I was expecting. I still have my gripes about certain things (chiefly how close the camera is to the characters) but it's sounding like it'll be a great experience either way.

OL has received a thanks from: Birty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:19 am

Birty wrote:
Axm wrote: Day one.

You got it yet?

i think he means he will get it on day one.

anyway, some japanese reviews are hitting the web & it seems like its scoring high marks.

redline has received a thanks from: Birty
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am

Eurogamer review 6/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... l-6-review

The game represents a tremendous amount of effort and investment and, for those impressed by such things, Resident Evil 6 may delight. But all the effort in the world won't make up for a lack of vision. This game is blind to imagination and focus. Capcom's uncertainty about the series' identity post-Mikami (and post-Uncharted) is hardcoded into its structure: four campaigns offering different, flawed expressions of that potential. And the inevitable price for this wavering is a lack of coherence. Resident Evil 6 is an unwieldy tribute to the series' past, an uneven expression of its present and an unwelcome indication of its future.

IGN 7.9/10

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/01/r ... 682500006d

Evolution and ambition are only natural for a franchise as old as Resident Evil, as is the need to respect a long-lasting legacy and the fans that have come to appreciate it. But in trying to serve all masters, Resident Evil 6 loses focus and fails to accurately assess which of its elements are truly worthy of being included. When this game is at its height, it sets new standards for the series in every way. Unfortunately, there are no shortage of lows either, taking what could have been an excellent experience and making it something considerably lesser.

Gamespot 4.5/10

http://uk.gamespot.com/resident-evil-6/ ... iew;ReadIt

Resident Evil 6 is a mishmash of elements put together without any sense of care or direction. Series faithful might stumble through for the sake of story, and perhaps to appreciate those few moments that recall when Resident Evil was at its peak glory. But this long, poor sequel is the ultimate test of patience for even the most dedicated.

Xbox360achievments 77/100

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game ... -6/review/

Resident Evil 6 is quite possibly the grandest and most ambitious title in the series yet, and certainly one of the most visually impressive games we've seen this generation. It's just a shame that Capcom has entirely jettisoned the last vestiges of Resident Evil's survival horror legacy. There's no disputing the level of quality in RE6, and criticisms levelled at RE5 have been duly addressed, but even the previous game had moments that managed to shred the nerves. In spite of its flaws and the fact that it's not in any way, shape or form a traditional Resident Evil game or indeed a survival horror, Resident Evil 6 is a cohesive and entertaining entry in the series that still deserves your time and attention. Let it infect you...

Shopto 'Good'

http://www.shopto.net/news/40823/Reside ... -6-Review/

Gameinformer 8.75/10

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/resid ... kinks.aspx

Capcom has loaded an unprecedented amount of content on one disc. Unfortunately, that drive to do it all has created some quality gaps. The game occasionally pulls the camera away from the action to show off a new goal or destination, leaving you open to blind cheap shots. The most annoying bug I encountered makes a boss unbeatable during Leon’s co-op campaign, marring the otherwise excellent climactic battles. Capcom promises some of these issues will be fixed with a day one patch, but we reviewed the game on the disc.

Over the years, the tone of the Resident Evil series has morphed from a George Romero horror flick to Michael Bay summer blockbuster. That metamorphosis into insane action is front and center in Resident Evil 6, and bringing a buddy along for the chaos is great fun. The game’s minor flaws don’t hold back the decadent experience from being an unhinged, flaming rollercoaster ride.

Edge 6/10

http://www.edge-online.com/review/resid ... -6-review/

It’s a bloated, often incoherent game, but the most frustrating thing about Resident Evil 6 is that (Chris’s focus on cover shooting aside) it’s not an unimaginative one. It might feel padded at times, but Capcom always has something new to show you after the filler, such as a fresh campaign, another repellent boss form, a surprising enemy type, a co-op vehicle section, or an odd location to explore. Even replaying a chapter from the perspective of your teammate will offer a tweaked weapon set and slightly altered routes. In always trying to offer something more, Resident Evil 6 fails to refine what it has already given you. And whatever else you might say about the game, it achieves something that its predecessor never did: it steps out of Resident Evil 4’s shadow and becomes its own game. Sadly, it’s a game that redefines the series as a loose collection of action scenarios with a shared theme of mild sci-fi horror. It’s a game so eager to please that can’t settle on an identity. And it’s a game that marks a critical point in the series’ history. Resident Evil might have lost interest in pure horror a while back, but it seems Capcom would rather you were thrilled than afraid.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:17 am

^I'm with Eurogamer on this one.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist