Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:02 pm

So with Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes looking as good as it does (graphically), we also have Halo 4 coming out soon, which similarly looks fantastic:

Who needs next gen when games are so good looking?

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Even though graphically it looks sweet, i just have a little bit of resentment for 343i. I know i shouldnt, but its just i alwats loved Bungie, and i dunno how to feel in regards to this part of the legacy not being developed by them. I am gonna miss Marty ODonnells music, and also the fact that some of the really likeable characters were killed off in Halo 3. The spin off ODST i thought was one of the best, if not the best in the franchise, but i detested Reach for reasons i cannot fathom. I will keep an eye on it and see how the story pans out.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:14 pm

It's one of the worst things some game developers can do when they hype NEXT GEN HARDWARE. I hate it when they cry about not being able to realise their 'vision' because of hardware limitations. It's all bullshit. Just work harder. Humanity would have been fine and dandy if the graphics still were on the Shenmue level. Its the hardware companies themselves that force us to buy new hardware because it's the easiest way for them to make money and reinvigorate the interest in their products.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:20 pm

@Peter: Really? I thought ODST was the weakest, by a long shot. Halo 1 is still my favourite, I know there's only like two of us on here who are Halo fans, but I really like the art design and music of the series. And yeah, I enjoy the multiplayer...but it's a bit of a shame the single player has gone down in quality over time, so perhaps a new dev team (which was founded by former members of Bungie, btw) is the breath of life the series needed? Single player looks fun to me and I like the look of the new enemies.

@Dorian: Yeah, I'm getting sick of seeing articles popping up every day hyping Xbox 720/PS4...I'm not ready for it, nor is the PS3/360 finished yet, we're seeing some technically very impressive games, others that come to mind are David Cage's next game, The Last of Us and Hitman: Absolution.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Dorian, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Odd I used to be on the other side of this debate. I am very happy with this gen esp in visuals. But the medium does need to progress.If a console stays too far behind PC's will take over. Tech needs to improve now whether or not consumers are ready when console makers are ready is another subject. I still just love the visuals on WonderBoy in Monster World. I still love Alex Kidd visuals on MS. I still love Shenmue visuals. No matter the era I'm still impressed. But tech can limit art design. I said this on my forum but feel Darksiders II was limited by the consoles of some of the design that could have been in a few areas esp the first. I love my 360 and still want a PS3. People last gen were more than happy with what PS2 can do and pointed out games like God Of War II,Resident Evil 4 & Chronicles of RIddick. Then new consoles come and people are ready all the sudden. Personally consoles should not end their cycle until there is no more to squeeze out like the rolled up toothpaste tube.

Henry 343 is also has the art and character designers from Retro Studios. SO going to see similar character designs tto those of space pirates.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Yea, i never play multiplayer games, i am a story gamer. Thats why i loved ODST, it arguably had thr most substance as a stand alone game in terms of story. In regards to the trilogy storywise, i feel that it didnt dip so much in quality, but that it became such a vast mythology that Joe and Tyson got wrapped up in their own weaving of the Halo universe that it hampered the simplicity that the original game had. Almost the same as Lost in a way. But its up there regardless for me, as an excellent trilogy (again storywise). Perhaps it is best that its gone. Fresh writers can breathe new life into it (as far as i know they are basing it on the comics i have, of the Spartan creation and the forerunner novels which are all awesome reads btw). What i would be most excited is that Nathan Walpole jumped to 343i so the animations of the characters will be fucking insane. I will never forget when i first seen his "brute jumps on the banshee and pummells the wee guy inside" animation in Halo 2. Awesome stuff.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Peter wrote:I will never forget when i first seen his "brute jumps on the banshee and pummells the wee guy inside" animation in Halo 2. Awesome stuff.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Bluecast wrote: Odd I used to be on the other side of this debate. I am very happy with this gen esp in visuals. But the medium does need to progress.If a console stays too far behind PC's will take over. Tech needs to improve now whether or not consumers are ready when console makers are ready is another subject. I still just love the visuals on WonderBoy in Monster World. I still love Alex Kidd visuals on MS. I still love Shenmue visuals. No matter the era I'm still impressed. But tech can limit art design. I said this on my forum but feel Darksiders II was limited by the consoles of some of the design that could have been in a few areas esp the first. I love my 360 and still want a PS3. People last gen were more than happy with what PS2 can do and pointed out games like God Of War II,Resident Evil 4 & Chronicles of RIddick. Then new consoles come and people are ready all the sudden. Personally consoles should not end their cycle until there is no more to squeeze out like the rolled up toothpaste tube.

From a marketing standpoint, sure, it all makes sense. If they want to keep making money, they have to eventually have new hardware, obviously.
But purely in a technical capabilities capacity, I can't say I agree.
As consoles are now, there's almost nothing that can't be done through the use of smarter development techniques. The tech itself isn't limiting anyone on their art design right now. PS2 and before, I might agree to an extent, but when you have current games that look like Uncharted and FFXIII (and now looking at things like Ground Zeroes), it's clear that no one is limited by the tech; it's just a matter if using that tech in better and smarter ways, which most devs aren't doing.
You use Darksiders 2 as an example of being limited by the consoles it's on, but I don't think it's a very good example, considering the game isn't exactly the pinnacle of what's out there right now.
Darksiders 2 is limited by its budget, the capabilities of its programmers and designers, and its development schedule. Nothing else.
Given more time, a higher budget, and more inventive programmers, and the game could likely have accomplished everything you think it should have. It's not the fault of the hardware it's running on.
I agree that a console generation shouldn't move on until everything is squeezed out of it, but I don't think everything has been squeezed out of this one. There's still much, much more that can be done.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Dorian, Rakim
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:15 am

OL wrote:You use Darksiders 2 as an example of being limited by the consoles it's on, but I don't think it's a very good example, considering the game isn't exactly the pinnacle of what's out there right now.
Darksiders 2 is limited by its budget, the capabilities of its programmers and designers, and its development schedule. Nothing else.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:54 am

Dorian??!! Blue?! Everyone getting along??! A new MGS?! Blue cyber naked lady (fapfapfap)?? Skies of Arkadia HD almost ready to be announced?! RE 6 retail version stolen and leaked?!

Knew i should had slept more than 3hours.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Peter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 am

Wheres the news of Skies of Arcadia coming from?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 am

ThyDarkAngel wrote: Dorian??!! Blue?! Everyone getting along??! A new MGS?! Blue cyber naked lady (fapfapfap)?? Skies of Arkadia HD almost ready to be announced?! RE 6 retail version stolen and leaked?!

Knew i should had slept more than 3hours.

Who said anything about getting along?

I hate that cryptic SEGA info of yours. Not that I'm that hyped about SoA HD myself. I completed the GNC version not so long ago and I remember it all too well to make a replay, even despite HD graphics. But I'm sure many will be happy thanks to this classy game coming out again... if your info is true.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:07 am

Peter wrote: Wheres the news of Skies of Arcadia coming from?

Ziming posted that Sega has renewed the trademark..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 am

it's true.
just let Sega release JSR, SA2 and Nights this month and the next and an announcement will follow shortly.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:17 am

The only upgrade this gen actually needs is RAM. I dunno why it is, but it always seems to be an afterthought. Graphical capabilities are fine. DVD-9 is a bit limited too, and I don't think there's ever been a problem with the CPU. Btw, who was it that was developin that "search engine" system for rendering? I don't think I've seen it implemented yet, everyone still seems to be stickin to draw-distance... Did it not work out well or did it just fall on deaf ears?

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming