Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Gaming is just fucking awesome. That's the thought of the day.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:40 pm

We should have a Shenmue Dojo xbox live party soon :lol:
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Thief » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Thief has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Who Really Cares?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 am

feels good to nail a new addition in Legend of Dragoon. esp a hard one like Madness Hero
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6_QvdxyXQ[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 am

Great article on The Walking Dead game

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... rd-choices

Don't read unless you have finished it.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Tuffty
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Tuffty » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:10 am

^ A great article. The smaller, more personal consequences were a lot more important to me than writing my own ending. It probably wouldn't have worked as well if the writing and characters weren't so strong, but as it happens both were generally brilliant. My nerves were shredded making some of those decisions.

On a different subject, I kind of want to go off a little on something that has kind of irritated me a little. It's when narrative goes against gameplay, specifically in cases of origin stories and when gameplay goes against what the narrative has setup. I realised this when playing Assassin's Creed 3, when Connor goes out to find the Assassin mentor so he can be trained in the art of assassination. To me it implies that Connor is there to learn and in time he will be skilled in combat and all that jazz. Except, when you're actually playing the game, the story dictates that you have to fight these guards before the mentor will accept you, and Connor doesn't need any training at all. You are just as experienced if you know the combat mechanics that you can dispatch the guards with all the ease of a master assassin anyway.

It's even worse in AC2. At least there is some justification in that Connor at that age is also an experienced huntsman, with the stamina and physique of someone living in the wilderness. In the beginnning of AC2, Ezio is a playboy who never fought in his life. Now before he even dons the robes you're saying that he can kill guards in sword combat? Same with Jason in Far Cry 3, a spoilt rich kid is now experienced in all kinds of handling firearms and killing guards with ease from the very beginning. This new Devil May Cry is meant to tell Dante's origin story, about the man before his demon skills have fully formed, but you know, still looks like an all powerful unstoppable demon killing machine to me.

See to me, I think there is more worth in playing as someone who isn't all powerful from the get go. In those scenarios I described with AC, I'd rather that the character just get beaten up or wounded, with no chance to defend yourself. Make that be a harsh lesson he learns and be part of his character development. Have the game then progress and so you learn how to block, to counter etc and take fulfillment in seeing your character start as someone who can barely swing a sword, into someone who can kill guards with alarming efficiency. Same with a FPS, I wouldn't mind it if, while playing as someone who the narrative dictates has never used a gun in their life, to make it so the aim wasn't perfect from the beginning. That the hands shake and then gradually get more steady as you progress.

I get the argument as well that you don't want to play as a weak character from the beginning and ultimately these contradictions don't detract much from my overall enjoyment of a game. It's just something that I rarely see developers do right when telling someone's origin story and in making a character's progression become somewhat believable.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: OL
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Funny thing is, they've pretty much done that very thing in the past. I remember in Maximum Carnage on the Genesis and SNES, the end of the first stage actually dictates that Spider-Man get his ass kicked, all for the progression of the story. So no matter how well you play, there's no way to actually win at that part.
I feel like I've seen it elsewhere too, probably during the 16-bit era again, but I can't remember where exactly.

To be fair in Ezio's case though, he was a total ruffian before donning the hood. He was a playboy, sure, but he was also essentially the leader of a street gang, which would likely give him at least some experience in combat (not to mention his father being an Assassin himself, so you never know if he maybe had some amount of fencing practice in the past). Plus it's understood that, in the case of Ezio and Connor both, their actions during gameplay are being controlled by Desmond, so naturally they'll come across as being more skilled than they likely would have been if the story were strictly about them.
And in Far Cry 3, if you've ever read anything from the writer, it's intended in kind of an artsy-fartsy way that the player is actually a "character" in the game, and that they're the main reason why combat comes so naturally to Jason.

Still, those are all just excuses. I agree that if a story is about someone's beginnings, there should be some failings along the way. It's only natural. The gameplay should jibe with the character.

OL has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Tuffty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Killer 7 does it.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Rakim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm

OL wrote: Funny thing is, they've pretty much done that very thing in the past. I remember in Maximum Carnage on the Genesis and SNES, the end of the first stage actually dictates that Spider-Man get his ass kicked, all for the progression of the story. So no matter how well you play, there's no way to actually win at that part.
I feel like I've seen it elsewhere too, probably during the 16-bit era again, but I can't remember where exactly.

I think I know who did it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFjuPbCShBw[/youtube]

Rakim has received 3 thanks from: OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr., wude
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:32 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dWsjodvxk4[/youtube]

Fat white man rapping? What could go wrong? ..erm nothing actually he's really good :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Shenmue II. Twice.

And no, Ryudo. Just no. It's worse than those YouTube rappers n Weird Al.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Looks like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 is coming.Which shouldn't be a surprise to no one.I'll probably end up buying it if it's like Razors Edge.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... next-year/
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming