Who is Online?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Who is Online?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm sure that thing at the bottom of the index page chats shit. Look at the number of unregistered visitors per day. Surely they've gotta be bots?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: Who is Online?

Postby Bambi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:36 pm

A fair few of them probably are bots but as I understand it our "Who is online"is not limited to real time activity.

If I had to guess I would say it displays all users over a time period of 1 hour or so which would make it possible for a single guest to be counted more than once. I could be wrong about that last thing though.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Bambi wrote:A fair few of them probably are bots but as I understand it our "Who is online"is not limited to real time activity.

If I had to guess I would say it displays all users over a time period of 1 hour or so which would make it possible for a single guest to be counted more than once. I could be wrong about that last thing though.

unless if they have a dynamic IP I don't think it would count them more than once, I know we have lots of lurkers though as every time someone signs up or an old member comes posts after being away for ages always starts with "I've been lurking" but you're probably right for it not being real time, I know when I sign out I'm noted as online for pretty long after, we probably have over 100 bots as well considering how they love this place or maybe they're just trying to unite with their master kiba :lol:

EDIT: ah I stand mistaken, as soon as I sign out I am counted as offline, I guess they fixed that
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bambi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:43 pm

south carmain wrote:we probably have over 100 bots as well considering how they love this place or maybe they're just trying to unite with their master kiba :lol:

Like newborn pups searching for their mother's teat.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 pm

south carmain wrote:
Bambi wrote:A fair few of them probably are bots but as I understand it our "Who is online"is not limited to real time activity.

unless if they have a dynamic IP I don't think it would count them more than once, I know we have lots of lurkers though as every time someone signs up or an old member comes posts after being away for ages always starts with "I've been lurking" but you're probably right for it not being real time, I know when I sign out I'm noted as online for pretty long after, we probably have over 100 bots as well considering how they love this place or maybe they're just trying to unite with their master kiba :lol:

EDIT: ah I stand mistaken, as soon as I sign out I am counted as offline, I guess they fixed that

Coby had been "lurking" since 2004 :lol:

ShOzO MiZuKi has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, south carmain, wude
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Yama » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:33 pm

They aren't counted twice, we legitimately have a lot of lurkers who are sent to our Shenmue forums through various online searches. Our site averages a ton more. The community is really not a valid indication of our site activity, you guys would be surprised how many hits and legit visits we receive.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Im not online right now
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Spokane » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:15 pm

I have logged out for half an hour or 45 minutes and came back on using another computer and it says I'm online before I even log in so it's still looking at the session I had on the other computer.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Thief » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Oftentimes I don't even bother logging on unless I want to post something. So you can count me as one of those lurkers too, I guess.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Off Topic