Help buying a Tablet PC

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Help buying a Tablet PC

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:55 am

Right, ive decided with going to Australia that i am going to buy a Tablet PC. I have a Samsung Galaxy sII phone, which i was just going to use since its more or less a mini tablet, but i want a tablet. First off though, i DONT want an Apple iPad. I deteste the iOS and the entire user interface. The only way i would even consider it is if it was an off the lorry job at a severely discounted price. So that means its down to the Samsung range, but are there any other makes? Is that Google Nexus any good?

Also should say my budget would be £200, doest have to be brand new (ebay is fine) and i could probably stretch to £250. But i dont know which are the oldest and latest models,.or what features they have etc so i really will appreciate any help offered whatsoever :)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Help buying a Tablet PC

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:57 am

With that budget you maybe looking at a Kindle fire. However those are not really for Apps but for media like books,film,tv and amazon. Pretty basic.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:59 am

Nah man, theres lots of the Galaxy tabs on ebay for buy it now at £300, sure i said i dont mind used. But even in stores here like Argos and PC World, they have the older models for £199 brand new, but i dont know how good/crap they are. From what i have read i might go with the Galaxy Tab 7.7. Looks pretty good, with the highest spec i can seem to get with the budget i am on.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:21 am

Kindle Fire HD 32GB is £199 and apps are available on it too.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 am

Cheers bud, but i have narrowed it down to 2 models: either the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, or the Galaxy 7.7. Hard decision :???:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:25 am

You can get much more powerful tablets then the iPad for much cheaper but because of the app store they do much better stuff. It's the same as phones now you can get ones with better specs but their app stores are nothing compared to Apples.

Best thing is to maybe go in to PC world or somewhere similar and go hands on with some of them. If you post what one you like I'll try and help you find it as cheap as possible.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:10 am

Samsung Galaxy tabs Riku. Already have the Galaxy phone and love it. So gonna stick with Samsung. Either the 7.7 or the Galaxy Tab 2. The Tab 2 is cheaper (£199 brand new in some places) but screen resolution isnt as high as the 7.7 nor does it have the Super Almod display. But because the 7.7 has higher specs including a slightly better CPU (1.4 compared to the Tab 2 1.2Ghz) you are looking at it being a bit harder to find, thus its a bit more expensive. One on ebay for £300 used, but it looks in good condition plus theres a 16g SD card, official Samsung case, vehicle mount and travel adapter all included.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:01 am

They're sellin some cheapo ones over here in Staples. I take it you're from REAL Ireland though and not Northern Ireland, right?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby QWERTY » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:55 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: They're sellin some cheapo ones over here in Staples. I take it you're from REAL Ireland though and not Northern Ireland, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:58 am

Peter I can say with 100% confidence, go with the Nexus Tab. Ive used it quite abit.
It will receave more update support by google themselves because it is a pure google device and android. They wont have to submit anything to Sansmung for them to take a year to slap their custom overlay over it.
While its decent, the Samsung overlay on the Galaxy Tabs are imo not as good as pure android.
4.1 Jellybean is super smooth and theirs alot of great features like Google Now that are fantastic. It has a fantastic 1280x800 display, a quad core processor and its pretty light in the hands. Plus its much cheaper.
I also used the Nexus phone for quite sometime and I loved it. Then I broke it. Now I use the Galaxy S III but would rather have my Nexus back.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Yea i was looking at the Nexus, which is great value, but the exclusion of a memory card slot for more memory really did put me off it. The 16g version would be a given. I dunno i could be persuaded to go for the Nexus tho :-k
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm

QWERTY™ wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: They're sellin some cheapo ones over here in Staples. I take it you're from REAL Ireland though and not Northern Ireland, right?

Woulda been obvious if I KNEW he was from Belfast... Poor guy.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby nzk0 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

I would go with the Nexus 7 if I were you. It's super cheap and it's small + it's the official Google Tablet so you can be sure you'll always get the latest Android releases on it without hacking to root it :)
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby QWERTY » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
QWERTY™ wrote:

Woulda been obvious if I KNEW he was from Belfast... Poor guy.
Attachments
belm.jpg
belm.jpg (16.04 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:09 pm

If letters have accents I tend to pay no attention and I weren't interested enough to Google it anyway.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic