How Virtua Fighter MADE the PSX

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

How Virtua Fighter MADE the PSX

Postby ShenmueAddict » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:20 am

has anyone seen this really interesting article about Sony's original Playstation? probably would have been a flop if they had not gone for a 3D capable machine thanks for Sega's Arcade "Virtua Fighter"

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/09/h ... ons-bacon/
Last edited by ShenmueAddict on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShenmueAddict
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: Patrickingham2
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas

Re: How Virtua Fighter saved the PSX

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:31 am

The only thing that saved PS1 is it went CD and Nintendo didn't. Had Nintendo also gone CD PS1 would be in the same sentence as 3D0 & CDi. Carts cost too much CD's were cheap and carts were more limited in data and at the time CD's seemed limitless.Developers chose the cheaper and easier route. SEGA was doomed on day 1 because SEGA CD & 32x set the wheels in motion for SEGA's eventual downfall.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:32 am

What's all this "saved" shit? "Made" is the most appropriate word.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Spokane
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenmueAddict » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:36 am

Bluecast wrote: The only thing that saved PS1 is it went CD and Nintendo didn't. Had Nintendo also gone CD PS1 would be in the same sentence as 3D0 & CDi. Carts cost too much CD's were cheap and carts were more limited in data and at the time CD's seemed limitless.Developers chose the cheaper and easier route. SEGA was doomed on day 1 because SEGA CD & 32x set the wheels in motion for SEGA's eventual downfall.

I disagree, 3DO was stupid money $700 and too many shite games, that was its downfall, CDi was just a piece of shit with crap "Movie Games" and couldent do Proper 3D. PSX was a decent gaming machine with quality games from quality Devs. I'm not even a big fan of the machine (prefer Saturn) but i cant lie and say it wasent a decent gaming system. The N64 was doomed because of carts i agree but even if Nintendo went CD i still think PSX would of blown them out the water as Sony did Everything right that era, Nintendo were condemned to being "kiddy" which had started with the Snes era and adolescents flocked to the PSX and to a much lesser extent the Saturn. In fact the only reason i think the N64 had any success was the younger audience it had and also clueless parents buying their children the "next Nintendo system"
ShenmueAddict
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueAddict » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:36 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: What's all this "saved" shit? "Made" is the most appropriate word.

very good point

ShenmueAddict has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
ShenmueAddict
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: How Virtua Fighter MADE the PSX

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:42 am

From what i remember the PS1 only came about because Nintendo didn't want to pay for the discs so Sony went out on their own?

Infact I'm pretty sure it was Sega who went 3D at the last minute because of the PS1? Which is why it was such a bitch to make games for.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: How Virtua Fighter MADE the PSX

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: From what i remember the PS1 only came about because Nintendo didn't want to pay for the discs so Sony went out on their own?

Infact I'm pretty sure it was Sega who went 3D at the last minute because of the PS1? Which is why it was such a bitch to make games for.

Someone never had a 32x. Nah, the PS1 was created to compete with Sega in the first place.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Return to General Gaming