Japan vs China: The Battle for the Desolate Islands

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Japan vs China: The Battle for the Desolate Islands

Postby Rakim » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:41 am

The dispute over the Senkaku Islands is making a lot of headlines lately. What's your opinion? Is the Chinese media using this as a false flag to create a diversion from topics of true importance to our communist friends? Do they have a legitimate claim to the territory?

The most irritating part of this whole situation to me is how its being used by a lot of people, who probably didn't know that the islands existed until recently, as an excuse to legitimize their existing hatred for the other party. Then you have people like Jackie Chan making ridiculous comments and just adding fuel to an already raging fire.

Rakim has received a thanks from: mrslig100
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Japan vs China: The Battle for the Desolate Islands

Postby Bluecast » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:59 am

Japan is the Vulcans. China the Romulans & North Korea the Remans.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 am

China made much puppet theater from this. Students were given money to go to demonstrations (That's actually why they were so crowded) and if you know China you also know that there are no demonstrations the government doesn't allow.

China was pretty good at conquering Tibet, but with islands they seem to have their problems. Just look at taiwan, they already make fun of the chinese since many decades. The theater about the Senkaku islands also ultimately led to nothing but some money wasted to pay students for participating in demonstrations and make China look even worse afterwards. Talk about bad timing - like 2 weeks ago China formally asked the European union to lift the sanctions about weapon exports to China. Regarding the "demonstrations" and behaviour of CHina I am not surprised that noone was willing to even discuss that topic with China.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby silent killer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:17 am

amazingly enough I've been keeping a watch on this situation via the most unlikely of places. NSFW

It's a bit biased for sure, but the news is the news. China hasn't owned those islands for over 100 years, which predates the current ruling party by several decades, so they have even less claim to the islands in my opinion, than Tokyo's Governor Ishihara, who is a fucking joke by any standard, who actually owns the islands after having bought them from another Japanese national. Until anyone can tell me otherwise, I'd say China only wants those islands because they may have oil and other natural gases underneath them. Still not sure why they are also claiming other islands in Vietnam or The Philippines, which they never once had claim to. :-k

silent killer has received a thanks from: Rakim
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby lavrentis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:25 am

What's so great about the islands? Admittedly I don't follow the news that much but is China's development meant it's in imperialist stage!? Or am I missing something.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:52 am

lavrentis wrote: What's so great about the islands? Admittedly I don't follow the news that much but is China's development meant it's in imperialist stage!? Or am I missing something.

Same as the UK and Falklands, I suppose.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby beedle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:12 am

" it was discovered in 1968 that oil reserves might be found under the sea near the islands"

yeah, same as the falklands
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Its less the islands themselves being important but the water around them. Its a big fishing area and as said, oil is underground.
Do I feel right that Japan bought them fair and square? Yes. Do I feel bad that they originally belonged to the the chinese 100 years or so ago? yes but its complicated.
But china is also drumming up the hate bandwagon because they want economic control of the region. Its always been a fight between So. Korea, Japan and China over resources so its nothing new.
Whats worse about this situation are the riots that occured. Chinese people who own Japanese cars are seeing them destroyed country wide by mobs of racist pricks. Japanese people are being descriminated against. Chinese people are destroying Japanese resturants even if they are owned by chinese. Its a damn mess.
Watching my wifes Japanese news stations doesnt help my opinion of the chinese right now.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby KiBa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:27 pm

(sigh) Must Aryans draw every bloody line on the map for you people? :no:
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:41 pm

KiBa wrote: (sigh) Must Aryans draw every bloody line on the map for you people? :no:

Persians drew the borders? I never knew :-k
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Return to Off Topic