HMV Going Out Of Buisness

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

HMV Going Out Of Buisness

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:51 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... hours.html

Get ready to go shopping for some bargins.

Surprised they have lasted this long.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: HMV Going Out Of Buisness

Postby Spokane » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Never heard of it, but to see that its a music store isn't surprising at all. Those are a dying breed here too.

I myself am part of the crowd that is helping it die, I really only ever get music online and if I want it on a CD I just burn it myself. Same goes for the music I have got my mom for xmas the last 2 years even. Just put it on a disc last year and this year she got an ipad so I put it on that for her.

When it comes to music I don;t need the physical thing, or prefer one over the other really. Its different with games.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Its not just music they do games and dvds/BD but their prices are a rip off most the time hence why most don't use them now days.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 pm

If they hold a closing down sale with 70% off marked price, that should almost bring them down to being somewhat competitive.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Spokane » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Its not just music they do games and dvds/BD but their prices are a rip off most the time hence why most don't use them now days.

Then they probably deserve to go out of business.

But I think music is still at least one of several reasons why. But it doesn't help them if none of their stuff are good deals.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm

HMV is weird because you can find the odd bargain it's just everything else is stupid money. Went into one over Christmas and they had the latest Michael McIntyre show on Blu Ray for £25. At the moment they have a big sale going on with most of their stock at 25% off.

I'm going to wait until a week before they close and go and see what I can get for a good price.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 pm

its a shame but better deals can be found at sainsburys / blockbusters or online. i dont use hmv that much anymore.

about 7 years ago, you could get a music cd or game from places like hmv/Game, use it (download it to your pc / play it) then take it back and get a full refund :)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:09 pm

I would steer clear of any going out of business sales. The sales are usually sour. Often what ends up happening is all the items in the store are reset back from the going rate they were going for under normal circumstances up to their original MSRP. That is the price point they take the meager 10-20% off of. I remember when Borders was going under you had to wait until the 4th or so week when the sales hit 30-40% off before you could buy something for prices they were going for before the "sale". :P The only time you tend to get good value is when they hit the 60%+ price point, but by then the ignorant masses thinking they were getting a steal have likely cleaned out everything worth having. It probably isn't worth the feeling of being a shark swooping in on injured prey to take advantage, though I can always only speak for myself.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Feelers Rebo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm sorry for all the job losses there'll be, but I have no sympathy for the company overall. It serves right for charging at double the price you could get stuff elsewehere.

I don't believe that it's lack of demand for physical media which is playing the largest part in these kind of shops closing, though. If I can get a physical copy with liner notes and a disc already prepared for me which can then be transferred onto the computer, I get it, and most active consumers of music I know have also expressed a preference for physical media.
I also know there's still demand for DVDs, Blu-ray, video games, etc.

My opinion is that if HMV lowered their prices and put more emphasis on an online service and also providing the option of accessing digital information from a centralised location, they wouldn't be in as much trouble. I think demand has little to do with it, since CDs aren't as close to extinction as some people seem to think (and in fact, there's a niche market for vinyl too). Perhaps they ought to stock slightly more obscure records that less casual consumers might be interested in (e.g. a greater selection of jazz, classical, fusion, etc) taking a minimum quantity of physical copies of popular hits an confining them to cardboard stands in the entrance of the shop, instead targeting casual consumers with digital downloads (the incentive of which could be points towards a free product or whatever).
Feelers Rebo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby beedle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 pm

never really found their prices too bad to be honest. maybe I just only paid attention to what they had going cheap.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:56 am

beedle wrote: never really found their prices too bad to be honest. maybe I just only paid attention to what they had going cheap.

I got the OOT 3ds remake for only 25£ when it came out at HMV, I think prices are acceptable on release but they are slow to lower them that's why the competition get the upper hand
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Stocke » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:46 am

I stopped by literally 3 days ago to my local HMV and they were having a 25% off sale. looks like i better visit again soon in that case.

It's a shame really. They were generally more expensive than other shops, but you could nab a good deal now and then from there.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 am

I can see the sales now... "Up to 80% off!!! (the books and useless shit that nobody buys, everything else that's worth something only has 5% off)"

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Sonikku
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 am

HMV make up for around 30% of CD's bought. Its not a big loss because you can buy them online but many like my self do like being able to go into at least 1 store and still buy CD's. Most Supermarkets have a really shitty collection of CDs

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ft-voucher

:lol:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 am

Seems Blockbuster is also calling in the administrators.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic