So i bought my first Gamecube

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

So i bought my first Gamecube

Postby Peter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:31 am

But of a story, but a couple of Chilean guys ive lived with in Oz are leaving tomorrow, and they sold me their Gamecube, with Zelda Special Edition and a few other games etc. But its a chipped (or whatever the terminology is) and it also played burned discs, and they also included a SNES disc with every single SNES game released on it. Pretty sweet!!

But i just want any advice, tips or reccomendations on the console, games, and also if its possible to burn discs of N64 games, or other Gamecube games? I really want the Master Quest edition of Ocarina of Time, and theres a burned disc here of Twilight Princess, but unfortunately it doesnt work.

You guys know the answer to all gaming questions, so no better place for me to ask i guess?? :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: So i bought my first Gamecube

Postby south carmain » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:59 am

check out baten kaitos and baten kaitos origins if you still have the patience to play through long rpgs, I've never heard of a n64 emulator for GC though

south carmain has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:07 am

Well one thing I'd definitely recommend is picking up a Gameboy Advance player for your gamecube.

Obviously you're going to want to play the Zelda games and Super Mario Sunshine, but there's plenty of other great games on the system too (it's probably my fav..)

My favorite game on the console is Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2. Perfect game for co-op but very repetetive. I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you have people to play with, but if you do... it's a must.

Phantasy Star Online Ep. 3 is a card based RPG game and it's realllly fun. It's oftentimes overlooked and disregarded because it's such a departure from the first in the series but it's a grand ol' time.

There's also the Rogue Squadron games if you like the dog fight sections in Star Fox or if you're a fan of the first Rogue Squadron.

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg is a fun platformer and one of the last games Yuji Naka was involved with when he was with Sega. Also, speaking of Sega, you can get both Sonic Adventure games on Gamecube if you missed them for some reason on Dreamcast.

You can also get almost every Resident Evil game (1 remake, 2, 3, code veronica, zero, and 4) on the console as well.

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life is very great... I'd actually compare it to Shenmue in a way, at least as far as immersion and overall feel of the game goes. It's cheap too.

There's also Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures, Twin Snakes... I'm tired. Hope this helps some. If not... I'm sorry.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:40 am

In terms of games I urge you to try Billy Hatcher and Bloody Roar Primal Fury.

ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Thief » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 am

south carmain wrote: I've never heard of a n64 emulator for GC though

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMUv1SvVaw[/youtube]

:lol:
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:45 am

Snag a Game Boy Player so you can play GBA games but it needs to have the CD with it.

Chibi Robo is great.

Sonic Gems which is a exclusive compilation disc.

Rogue Squadron

I would say Skies of Arcadia but the extra content while cool isn't worth the asking price these days.

I know of some Japanese games but honestly Gamecube is like N64. So little on the system you can't get on another system but if you never played before Viewtiful Joe.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby redline » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:22 pm

the resident evil 1 remake on gamecube is really good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhQrp5Bhhk
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Loved my Gamecube. Whilst the PS2 was blatantly the best of last gen (Dreamcast notwithstanding), I had a huge soft spot for my purple GC. I even used to put my bud in the little expansion slots in the bottom to blow the beautiful aroma around the room as I played.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 pm

I didn't own a lot of gamecube games but my favorites were the RE remakes.They're a must if you own a GC.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:34 pm

I was never a huge GC fan. There are some really obvious greats on it (like any of the Zelda releases), but otherwise it's mostly just filled with cross-platform games.
It's still got a small amount of great exclusives though, most of which have been mentioned.
One I haven't seen anyone mention yet is Battalion Wars.
Excellent little tactical-TPS. Cartoony visuals, surprisingly heavy action, and a good sense of accomplishment when you lead your army to victory. I was going to put it in the overlooked games topic, but it probably fits here even better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctXV1bg4a4M[/youtube]
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 am

Tales of Symphonia is amazing, but again the asking price for it will be high. I assume even more so in Australia.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Yeah most of the GC's big one's have already been mentioned (I especially recommend Resi remake, Rogue Squadron and the Zelda games). I'd also recommend the lesser remembered Lost Kingdom games by From Software. They are card collecting/ battling fantasy RPG's and well worth a look in my opinion.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Biohazard Rebirth, Biohazard Zero, Twin Snakes, Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, Tales of Symphonia, Soul Calibur II, Viewtiful Joe and Beach Spikers. Go!
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Why do all "hardcore" Resi fans insist on calling it Biohazard? Sure, it makes more sense at this point for the series to be called that, but most who call it that aren't even from Japan... We may as well start calling Shenmue シェンムー...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Just to warn you, you might not like Tales of Symphonia. ts very cliched and makes you do a lot of really dumb things.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Next

Return to General Gaming