Small Tidbit Gaming News

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Small Tidbit Gaming News Thread

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Wow, they even have segata brain washed. Come back to the light segata, and Capcom you are drunk go home.

I'm part of the fighting game community, I have a good sense of whats fair and abusive within the genre, most people don't. Capcom does a lot of bullshit (See Resident Evil 6, SFxT, UMvC3, DMC, Dragon's Dogma, MegaMan X-over) but this is one of those few cases where they're not milking at all.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Let me state my reservations here, and maybe you will see where I am coming from. I dont own and have never owned Street Fighter 4, I have considered buying it, but I am never sure what version to get and they are many to choose from. There is what regular version, super version, arcade version and ultra version (now). the original game came out in 2008, 5 years ago (and by the time Ultra comes out it will be have been 6 years...) make SF5 already, its been long enough. Also there price point for the new version for a brand new copy has stayed he same, Super, Arcade, and Ultra were all 39.99 brand new when they released, they should have dropped the price to cheaper as new iterations came out and more time has passed. $40 for a 5-6 year old game/combat system, with tweaks over 3 additional releases at that same price point is unnacceptable. And as a consumer that is curious about this game and I keep seeing these same prices patterns for the latest version I have trouble taking it seriously, its simply too much for its age. $20 maybe $30 seems fair for an upgraded game that came out 5 years ago.

So I am essentially waiting for them to make their final version, and then wait for that version to finally hit the bargain bin. Used copies of SF4 are like $5 $10 for Super and $20 for arcade. how the fuck do they think charging $40 for a brand new copy is fair?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I dont own and have never owned Street Fighter 4, I have considered buying it, but I am never sure what version to get and they are many to choose from. There is what regular version, super version, arcade version and ultra version (now). the original game came out in 2008, 5 years ago (and by the time Ultra comes out it will be have been 6 years...) make SF5 already, its been long enough.

Look, The gap between SF and SF 2 is the shortest at around 5 years. The Wait between 2 and 3 was 6 years, and the wait between 3 and 4 was over a decade. You don't just jump from one game to the next especially because of this next point.

If you play 5, you'll have missed a whole game. SF 1 compared to 2 is a different game, yea it should be obvious but it just dosen't play the same its a new experience. You went from a very limited game that aped Yie-Ar Kung Fu and IK to a game that had free form combos, and with each of its upgrades added things like supers while making special moves more accessible. Then three comes along and the formula changes completely. now you have a completely different cast with new move types, the game is much faster and theres a parrying system. Finally we reach 4, which removes features, gives multiple super types (super and ultra) makes it based on hp lost to balance out matches, and adds the EX system that consumes super meter, and adds throw "teching".

Street fighter 5 will be nothing like 4, they will share aesthetics and their overarching genre and nothing else. If you just want 5 to come out you're missing a game completely.

On top of that, the only time people got burned was moving from 4 to Super 4 but Super 4 added a ton of shit and was released at 40$, so if you bought AE and now Ultra you'd only have spent 70$ total on 5 years worth of content. All of the other balance patches were free. AE 2013 for example was completely free. The other side to that is, if you buy USF4 when it comes out, 6 years after the fact for 40$ are you the guy that saved money? You didn't get to experience the game while the community was booming. You waited years that you could have spent playing the game, is that time worth less then 30$?

AnimeGamer183 wrote:$40 for a 5-6 year old game/combat system, with tweaks over 3 additional releases at that same price point is unnacceptable. And as a consumer that is curious about this game and I keep seeing these same prices patterns for the latest version I have trouble taking it seriously, its simply too much for its age. $20 maybe $30 seems fair for an upgraded game that came out 5 years ago.

Why does how old it is make the philosophy of the game less valuable? Its 40 for a game that they still needed to put time and money into. If Citizen Kane gets a special blu ray release people don't think its going to be 5$, they know its going to be full price, and it should be. This isn't just a game that came out 5 years ago, Seriously watch a match from vanilla 4 at EVO and then watch Saeko or snake eyes at this past EVO. Everything has changed.

In 2008 I used Guile, now my main is Abel and instead of playing a mid range strategy I play a rushdown (or as rush as he can get) technical game and it has everything to do with the changes they've made in that time span. Shit between Vanilla SF4 and SSF4 I went from playing guile to playing Guy.

In some respects consumers feel like they're entitled to things and don't actually think about the why. I say again SFxT was bullshit, you buy a game and 20 characters are locked behind a wall of binary? that 0s and 1s, that shit was easy to crack and when they got released months later they didn't even re balance them, thats some major bullshit. Now, adding completely new content, then re balancing the entire game and charging way less then standard price for everything, thats fair.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: So I am essentially waiting for them to make their final version, and then wait for that version to finally hit the bargain bin. Used copies of SF4 are like $5 $10 for Super and $20 for arcade. how the fuck do they think charging $40 for a brand new copy is fair?

You're still paying about the same though, and theres the time factor. Ok so you waited out USF4 to be used, guess what you missed 7 (because I honestly think USF4 will either be the last or 2nd last before 5) years of playing a great series. Why? Because gamestop had it 5-10$ cheaper when it was used?

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I have Super Strreet Fighter IV and I hate to say it but I don't like it very much. The style I hate and most the characters to me are crap. Nothing about the game felt right for me. Mortal Kombat felt like a great upgrade to a classic series. Capcom vs Tatsunoko is my fave this gen. SSFIV just irked me in every way. Still have SFII as my fave.Well the version on SNES
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Ryudo wrote: I have Super Strreet Fighter IV and I hate to say it but I don't like it very much. The style I hate and most the characters to me are crap. Nothing about the game felt right for me. Mortal Kombat felt like a great upgrade to a classic series. Capcom vs Tatsunoko is my fave this gen. SSFIV just irked me in every way. Still have SFII as my fave.Well the version on SNES

The irony being TvC and MK9 were built off the SF4 engine.

But yea its not a universal thing, for many years I hated SF3, but I played 3 and when Dudly and Ibuki got introduced I went back and played it alot, I still feel like the only game in the series I can be good at and sink time into is 4 but thats just me, I can see if someone straight up doesn't like it (the AE balances that killed Abel's comp almost made me swear off the game)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:33 am

My favorite Fighting Games (and there alot): Marvel vs Capcom 2 (DC), Capcom vs. SNK (DC), Street Fighter 2(snes), Street Fighter Third Strike (DC), Guilty Gear (PS2), King of Fighters(PS2), Killer Instinct(snes), Dead or Alive 3(xbox), Soul Caliber (DC) , Tekken 4 (PS2), Tekkend Tag Tournament(PS2), Virtua Fighter 4(PS2). Class dismissed.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:23 am

I think my favorite fighting games are usually the avant-garde ones. I've only more recently gotten interested in the more "technical" side of fighters, from playing games like BlazBlue (which actually has an amazing training mode that acts as a very extensive introduction to fighters in general).
But otherwise, my choices for favorites have always been formed by the overall inventiveness or uniqueness of the game.
Bushido Blade is way the hell up there of course.
Urban Reign is climbing pretty fast as well.
The original Kengo has a really special place in my heart, being one of the truest "samurai simulators" I've ever played.
I initially fell in love with the DOA series because of the counter button (which at one time was incredibly new and cool), but I haven't really played any of them post-DOA2. That was the last one I played extensively.
Guilty Gear is amazing, but I think I'm more in love with it because of the aesthetics (the music and design work are phenomenal) rather than gameplay.
I still think the multi-plane system in the early Fatal Fury games was wildly inventive and interesting. In fact, as much as I love King of Fighters, I think I'll always prefer the earlier Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting games. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I love those suckers.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Tekken 4, Street Fighter II, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter 4, Dead or Alive 2 & Super Smash Bros 64 are my favourites. The genre sure has lots of variety anyway. All of the games in the genre have such amazing art teams too.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:31 am

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/17/ca ... -nintendo/

Looks like Sega and Nintendo are working together for a Seaman revival.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:08 pm

I cant wait to see seaman in 3D.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm

phpBB [video]

marionic
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Okabe (Nier composer) on working on Drakengard 3's music.

On not repeating himself:

The struggle not to repeat himself is made more difficult by the fact that, thanks to Nier achieving cult status in Japan and overseas, a lot more people are going to be paying attention to his work this time. "I think a lot of fans became aware of Yokoo's work via Nier," Okabe noted, "and if those fans are expecting something substantial from me, then naturally I've got to respond to that. Generally speaking, I have divided the musical style three ways between the stages, the events, and the boss battles, and comparatively speaking, I'm deliberately aiming for a Nier-like feel with the event music."

Producer's thoughts:

"To me, no matter how great the visuals are, I think music takes up around 40 percent of the product's final quality," he declared. "I may be a little over on that, but music is at least a very important part, and I think it's really coming together well for Drakengard 3. We have the composer and the development staff thinking up songs, and we have artists who really enjoy the game singing for us. The music is fitting perfectly into the game, and already it feels great to play. I can't say how fans will rate it, but as a developer, I think it's fitting well with what we're aiming for."

On creating a different musical style from the usual:

"It's been a tough production," Okabe added, "but for this game, there's part of it I'm doing that I've never experienced before. Regardless of your musical likes and dislikes, I think part of it will really startle you."

What's that, exactly? "It'd be a spoiler if we told you," Shiba replied, "but for now let's just say that we've got assorted tricks in the works, including in the musical department. The original concept of this title was to make a game that didn't feel much like a Square Enix title. It's not a game that will make everybody happy, but it is one that I think people who're curious about it should watch for upon release."

I really like that last part. :D

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/17/453096 ... range-game

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:10 pm

Video: Sony's Mark Cerny gives the long view of the game industry
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1964 ... dustry.php
"30 years later, we are still unlearning the lessons of the golden age of the arcade."

- Prior to revealing himself as the architect for PlayStation 4, industry luminary Mark Cerny at GDC Europe 2011 predicted the industry will need at least 20 more years to unlearn the current definition of a "game."

Spanning three decades in the industry, Cerny traces video game history from recent blockbuster titles all the way back to when arcade games flourished.

In contrast to those triple-A titles, he presents recent social and mobile hits such as Angry Birds and Farmville and suggests that the industry needs to unlearn what it believes a game is to accept these hits as games and to move forward.

For more peering into the past, be sure to check out Mark Cerny's postmortem for his classic game Marble Madness for free, given during the 25th anniversary of GDC. More currently, read how he is bridging the gap between casual and console in his upcoming PlayStation 4 game, Knack.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:34 am

Seems EarthBound is on Nintendo eShop...
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/82 ... neSXTIXACS

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Giorgio on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:43 am

phpBB [video]
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III