Sega... Spectrum?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Sega... Spectrum?

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:48 am

What the hell is Sega Spectrum?

My guess is that it's either a total troll, a piece of arcade hardware or a digital distribution service. I mean, no way it's a new console. (In the 0.0000000001% chance that it is a console; holy shit. )

Btw: the Japanese says エンターテイメントの新たな世界
translation: A new world of entertainment.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: kushanova
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Sega... Spectrum?

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 pm

On top of the obvious reasons why it's not going to be a new console, the name Spectrum already exists in the marketplace - in the UK, where it was one of the top selling "home computer systems" in the '80s. Look at this sexy beast:

I don't know who'd own the rights these days, but it would seem a peculiar brand for Sega to adopt for a return to the console business. This comes across more as something digital-related.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Axm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Probably digital distribution system. Im sure sega would like to receave 100% of the profits without having to pay fees or contract agreements to Sony, Steam, MS etc. Everyone seems to be doing it these days.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:11 am

Axm wrote: Probably digital distribution system. Im sure sega would like to receave 100% of the profits without having to pay fees or contract agreements to Sony, Steam, MS etc. Everyone seems to be doing it these days.

imagine it's an online only console that allows you download and play all sega classics + new generation games. I think I would wet myself in excitement if that's the case.

edit: by online only I don't mean always online but rather that it doesn't have a blu ray or dvd drive and all titles are only downloadable similar to the ouya
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:48 am

Why would anyone buy new hardware to play a subset of games that are already available on their existing consoles?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:51 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Why would anyone buy new hardware to play a subset of games that are already available on their existing consoles?

but that's not true, there are quite a few sega games only available on arcade units. not to mention the convenience of having everything on one console instead of a collective of 10
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:04 am

Ouya reviews are not pretty and I don't get the point of a cell phone in a box. Thing will likely flop esp when they said they plan to release a new console every year so not much point in buying one. Better off with PSN.XBL.Eshop. Or hell IOS or Android Phones/Tablets. Sega following suit just to play older games makes little sense. It is better as Let's Get Sweaty suggests to play them on consoles already out or play them on the retro systems released on.
Ok so I can play older games but then what? Not any better than a overpriced plug and play.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:35 am

Not all of us own nearly every console released, my only way of playing most sega games is through an emulator and would rather pay sega for theor games but there is no way i will buy a ton of consoles just so i can do so.

As for ouya it isn't a cell phone in a box it just happens to use android which is an open source os, the reviews may be negative but the concept is one of the greatest things out there. It opens a much more accessible and free market for all

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:55 am

Say I've got a PS3. Available for me to buy on the machine that's already taking up the space under my TV are the old and new Sonic games, various retro titles, Nights HD, Jet Set Radio, the All-Stars series, the Yakuza series, Binary Domain, etc, etc, etc. I'd have to be an exceptionally devoted Sega fan to buy new hardware for the sake of the remaining games that haven't been released, and if Sega's going to go to the effort of preparing those games then why limit their potential audience to those who'd be willing to splash out on this ultra-niche console just to play them, when the company's already well established on multiplatform distribution services with an almost infinitely larger userbase?

But then again, this is Sega. They'll probably do it after all.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:55 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Say I've got a PS3. Available for me to buy on the machine that's already taking up the space under my TV are the old and new Sonic games, various retro titles, Nights HD, Jet Set Radio, the All-Stars series, the Yakuza series, Binary Domain, etc, etc, etc. I'd have to be an exceptionally devoted Sega fan to buy new hardware for the sake of the remaining games that haven't been released, and if Sega's going to go to the effort of preparing those games then why limit their potential audience to those who'd be willing to splash out on this ultra-niche console just to play them, when the company's already well established on multiplatform distribution services with an almost infinitely larger userbase?

But then again, this is Sega. They'll probably do it after all.

who says it will just be sega games? with the increase of popularity of indi games they could make it open for 3rd party also. online only is a market that is emerging right now and I believe that if sega want to seize a chance of reentering the market it would be now. the success of the ouya shows there is the demand for this sector and the fact that traditional consoles are losing popularity and so are arcades sega need to think where to put their priorities and most importantly where to put their arcade titles that wouldn't be successful on the big 3.

and as for being well established all their titles are underselling except total war, sonic and football manager 2 of which are PC only titles. the fact that they had to scrap offices and IPs and lost billions of yen recently just shows how traditional consoles are not working well at all for them
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Giorgio » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:12 am

There are many speculations about it, some of them are:
- a photoshop image, that is a fake one [link]
- a new arcade hardware [I would believe that if it was saying "a new way of entertainment" (and not "world")]
- a new digital distribution service game

From the fact that is says "a new world of entertainment" and by its name [that is, Specrtum (consider a comment #18)], I am convinced that it is "a new digital distribution service game".

Do you remember "Play Sega"? "Play Sega"? That’s the name of the service Sega put into Maintenance. It can’t be! Sega... Sign up. I’ll allow you to pay like a warrior...

Ahem, yes, "Play Sega" and it is now into maintenance. I also do believe that "Sega Spectrum" is its replacement.

How I imagine this to be?

Something like Steam and a more advanced version of "Sega Play". And they may prompt you to buy VIP membership, to buy special VIP controllers for your computer, et cetera.

Also, I believe they will offer every game that Sega has published throughout all these years [preferably games that has been published in discontinued consoles (but not only them)] and they will be playable in your PC.

Nevertheless, it may be just my dream....

P.S.: I have already post about Spectrum here, but it seems it did not belong in that thread. Maybe I will open a new thread for "Dreamcast Junkyard", too.
Last edited by Giorgio on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 am

south carmain wrote:who says it will just be sega games?

You did. Or at least it's all you alluded to in your first post.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:39 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
south carmain wrote:who says it will just be sega games?

You did. Or at least it's all you alluded to in your first post.

no where did I say it would be exclusively sega games, I said that allows to download and play all sega games as in its primary feature which would be great.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 am

Up until your last reply, the conversation had been about a console that plays Sega games. If you want to change that conversation to specifically include third parties, that's fine, but don't act like it was unreasonable of me to continue the theme of the thread thus far.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:30 am

actually no my whole point was that SEGA releasing an online only console would work. I don't need to pretend anything since most of my posts were merely discussing why your opinion doesn't apply to most people
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to General Gaming