Got any questions for a Shenmue game designer?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Got any questions for a Shenmue game designer?

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 am

Hey Guys, I have to remove this post because I'm writing an article with this information for a magazine. Now I'm in contact with shengoro86 on Facebook so I'll liaise with him with updates. When I get the rest of the interview questions back and write the article I'll message back and let everyone know when it'll be out.

If you want to know anything email me: [email protected]
Last edited by Screenwriter_Adam on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Screenwriter_Adam has received 2 thanks from: AM2, mue 26
Screenwriter_Adam
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: adam3855
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Got any questions for a Shenmue game designer?

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 am

1. Was there any part of the game that was already planned or designed that had to be cut out?
2. What was the most challenging part to design?
3. Looking back over a decade later - which part of your work would you be most proud of?
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 am

Deleted
Last edited by Screenwriter_Adam on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screenwriter_Adam

Postby mue 26 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:51 am

Great stuff Adam, thanks for doing this for us! Yoshifusa Hayama has a very impressive resume! As for questions:

1.I see you credit yourself as the designer of the QTE. What are your feelings on that system's implentation in the game now, in retrospect? And how do you feel about the QTE's prevalence and overuse in videogames since Shenmue?

2.You were also the lead technical artist. So, I would first of all like to commend you on doing an amazing job. How difficult was it for you to maintain the extremely high level of artistic integrity the game has? The game's dedication to detail and it's artistic vision still astounds.

3. What was working with Yu Suzuki like? Was he very dictatorial over the development, wanting control over every aspect? Or was he quite easy going, allowing you guys freedom? Do you consider Yu an Auteur when it comes to Shenmue?

4. What are your personal feelings on Shenmue. Do you think it was successful and delivered on it's original vision and aspiration? What aspect of the final game do you feel was compromised the most?

5. Could you clear up some of the confusion over Shenmue 2's development: Were Shenmue 1 and 2 largely developed at the same time, with the intention of being one game, and then split? Or was much of Shenmue 2 developed after the release of Shenmue 1?

6. Do you believe there is any chance of Shenmue 3 becoming a reality? And if it were to become one, would you like the chance to work with Yu Suzuki on it once more, or have you had enough of Shenmue?

Thank you very much!!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Fri May 10, 2013 5:38 pm

mue 26 -- Added yours to the list :)

Some great questions!

I'm gonna ask about the Saturn version.
Screenwriter_Adam

Postby Peter » Fri May 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by again Adam.
Any idiotic comments/questions will be deleted on the spot.

*** With his extensive portfolio of past development and creative works on all the games he has worked on, where does Shenmue fit into them all? Is it remembered fondly or was it a laborious development?

*** Is it really "just another game" in a developers eyes, or was it totally revolutionary in gaming.

*** Was the game a success in your eyes, despite its ambitious budget, sales figures and currently bleak status in regards to no further game releases.

*** Given the current climate of Yu Suzukis relationship with both tue gaming industry and Sega, do you think Sega would ever allow another Shenmue game to be developed? If yes, what would be the best possibility for this to happen? (ie crowd fundraising, independent developers, private backing for Suzukis independent games studio, Sega developing it in house)

*** Have you, or would you ever work with other members who you worked with on Shenmue? Do you still keep in touch with any of them, and if so, how are they and what are they up to these days?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 pm

What has happened to the "Shenmue team"? Are they mostly still at AM2/Yakuza team or have they all left now?

How was the design process on Shenmue? Was it designed by a lot of people, was it really spearheaded by Suzuki, or is he just a popular guy which everybody likes to give all the accolades to when it was actually a lot of other people who made Shenmue into the game it is known for?

What was the hardest aspect of designing a game like Shenmue? Any parts of the game that got cut that he would have liked to see utilised if another Shenmue is ever made?

Is it actually a good idea for Suzuki to pull the Shenmue license from SEGA? Does the man have the resources/finances to support a Shenmue 3 for getting made or is it just a fan's wet dream?

Did Shenmue turn out how he imagined it would? Was the finished product what the team had in mind when creating it, or is it an altogether different beast?

And does the man still keep in touch with Suzuki and what are his thoughts on the man himself?

Give the man a drink for working on one of the best games ever made, anywho, dude deserves it.

EDIT:

"Designed a main game system called QTE" Woah! This is the guy who created the QTE systems? Then I love this guy, lol (Honestly, I still maintain that Shenmue has the best implementation of QTE in any game I've played). Please ask him how he came up with the QTE system.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Sat May 11, 2013 6:57 am

Deleted
Last edited by Screenwriter_Adam on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Screenwriter_Adam

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 am

Wow.... this feels good. So many times I've wanted to get involved with the Shenmue community. It's really nice having something to offer!
Screenwriter_Adam

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat May 11, 2013 8:59 am

Wow, if this is true and your friend delivers I might have to question whether or not I'm apt to believe you about Shenmue coming to PSN. I'd say if it all plays out I'm definitely more likely to believe that.

Questions...

1. Just to clarify, how far was the development of Shenmue on the Saturn and did the Saturn use any additional RAM to run the game or was it all run natively?

2. Were there any unique locations or abilities that were cut from the game due to time restraint and/or disc size? I know that the bicycle had conflicts, anything else in that nature?

3. Was there ever any consideration to include a school of some kind that Ryo goes to?

4. If you were involved with Shenmue II, why was there no place to adequately train and hone your skills?

5. Damn cliffhanger has tortured many a Shenmue fan for years, can you say whether there existed any additional gameplay or even ideas on how to proceed after Ryo discovered the sword that might have been cut?
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sat May 11, 2013 10:17 am

1. Was there something in the final product of Shenmue that he did not like and he would want/wish that to be changed?

2. What was his most positive memorable moment during the development of Shenmue and what was his most negative?

3. Was he assured for the success of Shenmue? And what were his thoughts when he saw that Shenmue was not selling high?

4. What were his sources of inspiration while designing Shenmue's world? Did music really inspired him create the universe (as Yu has stated) and at what level?

5. What was his daily routine during the development? Did he have any relaxing moments with Yu and the crew from time to time?

6. Did he ever felt unmotivated while working with Shenmue? If yes, why? If not, what was that kept him motivated?

7. Does he consider himself as a perfectionist in general or Shenmue was the exception (concerning all the big detail in it)?

8. Does Shenmue means something more to him than just a game?

9. What were Yu's expressions consider Shenmue? Was he anxiously passionate to produce something perfect (as a "killer app") or was he calm and serene all the way?

10. Do you think that Sega has put aside Yu (or in the extreme, toss him as a pitched lemon) after Shenmue's sales failure? What are your emotions/thoughts about that?

11. Do you think that Shenmue is to blame for Dreamcast's failure?

12. Do you adore and are you a connoisseur of martial arts?

13. If you have kids (or if you had), would you motivate them to play Shenmue? Do you consider Shenmue as a source of life lessons and morals that players can adapt in their lives?

14. Why do you think Yu Suzuki wants to pass the message that friends are important? Did he ever tell you some of his life's experiences and how them influenced the story of his masterpiece?

15. What is the biggest quality of a game designer? Does he consider games as art?
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby ShenSun » Sat May 11, 2013 10:47 am

I think the main question that everyone wants to no is, WHAT THE HELL HAPPEN TO SHENMUE HD?

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Ziming
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:52 pm

^ Why would he know?

Anyway Adam, if you do compile a list of questions, I wouldn't bother including every single one in this thread, as a few of us have asked a number of nearly identical questions in just slightly different wording :lol: and the man obviously doesn't have all day.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 am

Yeah definitely.

I'll sort through them all tonight and compile a smaller list.

Cheers guys.
Screenwriter_Adam

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Alright lads.

Just so you know, I've narrowed down the questions to around 10. Obviously, I have no idea how detailed he's going to be or anything, but I'll definitely ask if he could answer more afterwards.

Apparently he works from home quite a lot so my friend may not be able to get the questions to him tomorrow; however, I've been told that he'll definitely be in at some point during the week!

I'll keep you all updated on a daily basis.

Adam.
Screenwriter_Adam

Next

Return to Shenmue