Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Postby OL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:30 am

I was going to just bump the old topic, but for some reason it's been locked.
Oh well, anyway, I really liked seeing this video for Black Flag. A lot of pre-release AC "gameplay" showings before have been pretty obviously staged in one way or another, with a nonexistent HUD and enemies that don't seem to react in the same way they do in the final game. But this particular one is obviously direct gameplay; this is exactly what we're going to get.
And damned if it doesn't look glorious.

phpBB [video]

I absolutely love that it appears to use a similar treasure-hunting system to that of Red Dead Redemption. Had a lot of fun with it in RDR.

Granted, I do kind of wish this were its own game, unrestricted by the rules of a previously-established series. I'd love to have a pirate game at this level of quality that isn't tied down to anything else. But whatever, it looks like a fantastic pirate game anyway, so I'll take what I can get.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:39 am

I just hope this in game form does for me what PoTC did for me in Movie form. The Ultimate Pirate game. Gives me that wonderful sense of adventure and swashbuckling and all those pirate puns and slang terms. I do want this game. I may get it on PS3 because my other AC games I got on PS3. I am not interested in Desmond and glad that's done. I hope the Sci fi is dropped. I know the main part of the series. Always felt to me it was there to be different and cool. Which it kinda was but at the same time it never really felt compelling to me. OK, so only have the first 2 and yeah they do more Desmond bits in later games. Just a womanizing pirate assassin ans sailing the seas are enough for me.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:44 am

Agreed on fucking everything. I want this game more because it's a pirate game than because it's Assassin's Creed, despite my love for the series. It's irritating as fuck though, coz I've been waiting for a pirate game this good for along time now, yet I refuse to play a series out of order, and I haven't played AC III yet. To make matters worse, I'm a "seasonal" type guy, meaning I'll own play bright, vibrant or sunny-lookin games (e.g. Far Cry 2, Mirror's Edge) in spring/summer, and cold, dark, snowy games (e.g. Shenmue I, Arkham City) in winter.

So, as you can imagine, this leaves me in a shit situation coz I'd have to wait til after winter to be able to play it. Sure, I can just not be a complete and utter fool n just play it, but you don't get that same level of immersion if you force yourself to play a game instead of when you feel it's right. It's like watching a comedy film when you're depressed as fuck over something.

Either way though, Ubisoft really need to calm down with the quality titles, I'm not sure the economy can take it for much longer!

EDIT: Remember when spoiler tags were used to prevent posts from ruining the story for others?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 am

:lol: yeah thanks for that as I only got ACIII last week.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 am

The game obviously looks amazing and the fact I found ACIII a little underwhelming isn't hurting my excitement for this game as it just looks like the best parts from that game.

The thing I most want to see is how different the current gen and next gen versions are from each other. I'd love to play this on a next gen system to get all the benefits of a new console but as the past has shown us going into a new generation can lead to rocky times for some cross generation games. We obviously won't get answers to this until close to launch but it will be interesting to see how developers are changing their games that are coming to both systems.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Ten bucks says Blackbeard dies in the game, and a Piece of Eden is used to explain the old legend that his body swam around his ship three times after he was beheaded.
I bet it happens.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Mitsuzuki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Haven't played any Assassin's Creed games at all.

But due to the fantastic pirate content, I'm all over this like a patch on an eye socket.

Mitsuzuki has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:13 pm

phpBB [video]

Lets hope the first 5 hours don't suck like III.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Some light shed on the "present day" parts of ACIV:
http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv- ... -abstergo/
Apparently you play as... yourself.
From the way the guy talks, it sounds like he's saying you'll essentially be an unnamed avatar of yourself (I'm guessing it'll all be first person), and you happen to be an employee of Abstergo.

So since you're not playing as Desmond and you're not playing as his dad, the only thing I can guess is that Abstergo finds some way to access peoples' genetic memory remotely, and your character in the game is hacking in and accessing information about Edward Kenway. That's all just a guess, but it seems like a sound idea.

I do like the look of the Abstergo stuff though. Actually much nicer-looking than "present day" stuff from any of the previous games.

OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 pm

Just ditch those parts.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:15 pm

I'd prefer that too, but they clearly ain't going for it.
I actually wish they would have just started a new, completely separate pirate IP with this, so it didn't have to be tied down to any of the Animus stuff.
But for what it is, I think those screens look kinda nice.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Annoyed me they revealed it within the first minute of AC[well they messed up a few months before at an X0 event and then one of the VA's cocked up]. They should have kept that out of the game till much later.

And now it just feels like its completely unneeded for the series. Just make a straight up Pirate game and be done with it.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:26 pm

This particular video makes me more excited than any of the others I've seen. The sailing and exploration will be amazing, sure, but good old-fashioned assassination is the bread and butter, and it all looks better in this than it did in AC3.

phpBB [video]

Only thing that worries me is that he mentions "next gen" a lot, obviously talking about the PS4/XB1. But I certainly don't intend to play this game for the first time on one of those; I'll be going for PS3.
It doesn't seem like anything in the video would have to be downgraded at all to work on current systems, but I could be wrong. I just hope everything in the video will look fine on the system I already have.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Better graphics,frame rate and a few other little bits you would expect but mostly it should be the same.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming