YAY! SOPA might be coming back

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

YAY! SOPA might be coming back

Postby silent killer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:14 am

For the tl;dr crowds:
phpBB [video]

Seems some people in the current administration are still getting their pockets filled by old white guys. Take that sentence any way you'd like. It all comes down to the same thing; someone getting screwed. Usually, it's the people who don't swim in cash. Namely, us. by trying to felonize fanmade renditions of what they perceive to be their intellectual property. Spread the news. Don't think because you don't live in the US, this won't affect you. We still have enough influence to ruin your country without even stepping foot in it. :usa

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130805/12472124074/administration-cant-let-go-wants-to-bring-back-felony-streaming-provisions-sopa.shtml

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/unauthorized-streaming-felony_n_3720479.html
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Re: YAY! SOPA might be coming back

Postby Thief » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:32 am

Sopa bothers me because it just looks like the made a typo trying to spell "soap" ... and I want to fix it.

Thief has received a thanks from: Peter
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:39 am

With NSA and busting Mega Upload they showed they don't need sopa to do all that crap.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby silent killer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:27 am

Thinking about it, game publishers may finally get the upper hand on people making "let's play" videos and posting them up on youtube. I'm sure this probable bill doesn't address that kind of copyright, but it could easily roll into that realm. Or an unfavorable review of a product getting pulled off the web. These queefs are already trying that kind of shit and it doesn't stick because there are things in place to to keep it from being illegal. What's the point of fair use with something like this shit instead.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby beedle » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:12 am

silent killer wrote: Thinking about it, game publishers may finally get the upper hand on people making "let's play" videos and posting them up on youtube.

won me over, I am now lobbying in favour of this.

beedle has received a thanks from: QWERTY
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby QWERTY » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:45 am

beedle wrote:
silent killer wrote: Thinking about it, game publishers may finally get the upper hand on people making "let's play" videos and posting them up on youtube.

Innit. What kind of sad fuck has the time to watch somebody else complete a game, rather than play it themselves. Some may call it dedication, I think it's outright pathetic.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:22 am

This is why I feel protesting has lost it's teeth. The powers that be don't take it as much as a "no" so much as they take it as a "not right now". Just wait until later when the masses get distracted by some sensationalist journalism and sweep it through quietly.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:30 am

silent killer wrote:Don't think because you don't live in the US, this won't affect you. We still have enough influence to ruin your country without even stepping foot in it. :usa

This is what makes it hilarious and stupid with America yet again policing the internet like they own it. Also funny how people working in law themselves are no doubt guilty of downloading the odd torrent or two. We're only human here, but these corporations seem to want us to have such a boring time on the internet.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:48 pm

didnt they debunk the first 2 attempts at this? Also, who are the people actually behind wanting to get this passed? The assholes... I saw on the news the other day obama wants some kind of phone monitoring/wi-fi always connected service in all schools in the US.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Ryudo wrote: With NSA and busting Mega Upload they showed they don't need sopa to do all that crap.

Well megaupload resulted in him being released since they arrested him illegally and he then opened a new website exactly the same.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:30 pm

south carmain wrote:
Ryudo wrote: With NSA and busting Mega Upload they showed they don't need sopa to do all that crap.

Well megaupload resulted in him being released since they arrested him illegally and he then opened a new website exactly the same.

Then they raided his house this year
http://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-rele ... tv-130613/
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:33 pm

^My point was that they can arrest him as much as they want but without having the laws passed they can't do anything against him, hence why he was released
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:40 pm

The raid is illegal and taking his stuff was illegal. They had no right. US Gov are just so arrogant they do whatever they want..like spy on us oh and infect Smartphones/Laptops on the public with malware to turn on the mics to listen in. US gov does not give a damn about laws..just whatever they want...true they can only go so far but not like they worry much about legality.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:48 pm

^That's what courts are for, the clear difference between having SOPA and not having it is that in the end he got released instead of being sent to a black listed prison for terrorism against poor multinational companies
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby silent killer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:41 pm

QWERTY wrote:
beedle wrote:

Innit. What kind of sad fuck has the time to watch somebody else complete a game, rather than play it themselves. Some may call it dedication, I think it's outright pathetic.

I have no clue. I was just using them as an example, that this kind of lawmaking can easily apply to just about anything, even things you do like. It's like that old addage about them(whoever that is) coming for your enemy and you didn't do anything, and then they came for your neighbor and still did nothing and when they came for you, there was no one left to help stop them.

paraphrased the shit out of that last bit, but I'm sure you've heard of the actual one.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Off Topic