Fun Shenmue Stories

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Fun Shenmue Stories

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Aside from dropping the VMU, here are a few other interesting tid bits. A lot of this is going off memory, which having been in the gaming industry now for 14 years, may not be 100 percent accurate.

1. The game was in full test for 8 months in the US (could have been longer, but that seems about right). We ran double shifts on the game when we were in crunch mode. That meant I was typically working from 7am-10pm overseeing both shifts of testers.
2. We first tested on de-bug versions of the game that would allow us to trigger events. Because events were time based a tester could not simply play through the game and see everything.
3. There were a fair amount of things that changed from the Japan version of the game for legal reasons as well as ESRB content. Coke, which I am sure you guys all know, was not cleared to appear in the US version of the game.
4. Sorry about the forklift bug. I wish I could have access to the bug database to see if that one was caught, but not addressed. Not all bugs we found would get addressed for time reasons and also often times, if it appeared in the Japan version of the game and didn't cause a huge stink, the dev team was not always willing to change it for the US version.
5. In the last week of testing, we came across a scene none of us had seen before. The significance of that was that technically by that point we should have seen everything. It was a rare event that I can't remember exactly how we were unable to trigger it, but it scared the crap out of everyone because it got us wondering what else we may have missed. If my memory serves me right, the content had either untranslated text or questionable content. I can't remember which.
6. We used to walk around the office saying "Hey mister, wanna wrestle?" all the time. That line was definitely in our top 10 favorites.
7. We used to call going to lunch on our breaks, going to the Tomato Store.
8. I think I mentioned this one before, but the Prima Guide for Shenmue ended up being almost as much work as testing the game. We had to go through and re-verify a ton of items and things that were being printed in the guide.

Okay questions for you guys:
1. Have you guys gotten all 1sts in the forklift races? We had a couple of testers that ended up getting really good at it.
2. What are your darts high scores?
3. How about Hang On and Space Harrier?
4. What are your thoughts on the Saturn being in Ryo's house even though the game technically took place in the 80s? (yes we bugged that) but I sure as heck did like playing games in it hanging out at home.
5. Do you guys think you have seen every scene by now?
Last edited by Rhino Hazuki on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhino Hazuki has received 3 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, Rakim
Rhino Hazuki
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Fun Shenmue Stories

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 pm

A couple more...

I saw a favorite movie poster thread so that just reminded me.

Has anyone seen the Bruce Lee style Shenmue movie poster? It was used in Europe only and was shot down by our legal department in the US. I think I may still have one.

Did anyone go and see Shenmovie in the theater? I remember there was a lot of talk at work about the game being turned into a full-length movie. I can't remember if it was actually released.
Rhino Hazuki

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Here is the poster I was talking about

Rhino Hazuki has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Let's Get Sweaty
Rhino Hazuki

Postby lavrentis » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:35 pm

What the hell?
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:34 pm

The European marketing team thought it was the easiest way to attract people to play the game.
Rhino Hazuki

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:01 pm

How the shitting hell did that get greenlit?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:58 pm

That's amazing. :lol:
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm

I don't know that the poster was fully "Greenlit." I remember when they were sent to us at Sega US in San Fran, it caused a big stink. It would have been a big lawsuit, I am sure, if they were given out to the public. Heck, I am pretty certain MGM took issue with out Confidential Mission cover in the US. Movie companies are obviously very litigious.
Rhino Hazuki

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 pm

No idea if troll or not...
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Troll?
Rhino Hazuki

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:46 pm

I did put the poster up on ebay by the way... for anyone interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261322322097?ss ... 1423.l2649

Rhino Hazuki has received 2 thanks from: Axm, mue 26
Rhino Hazuki

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:16 pm

That first time when you walk into Hazuki residence bathroom, and ryo goes in and shuts the door and there is that little thought in the back of your mind thinking "its not gonna show ryos dick right??" then it turns out you cant even interact with the toilet, then "whew".
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:58 pm

That poster confuses me. Did they literally just wholesale steal artwork from Enter the Dragon, and stick Shenmue underneath that? I far as I can tell that's what it is. Why on earth would anyone at Sega (or anyone in the world) think that was good idea. lol. Still, it's a very nice and unique item for the Shenmue collectors out there. I've now changed my mind (sorry LGS, sorry Marina), Rhino for member of the month! I'm actually gonna PM qwerty (something I thought I'd never do) my vote that's how much I'm rating you bruh.

P.S I forgive you for your lack of diligence in finding the forklift bug :P

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Rhino Hazuki
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:59 am

Overcoming the forklift bug was one of my greatest moments in gaming. I honestly thought I was missing something blatantly obvious. It taught me from that moment onwards to actually pay attention to what the game was telling me to do instead of just saying "fuck you, I know how to play this shit."

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Rhino Hazuki
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:08 am

Thank you for the forgiveness. I really appreciate the support. The funny thing is, months and many hours a day I still love the game like there is no tomorrow. You would think I would be over it after working on such a massive project. And let me tell you, as far as testing is concerned, it was by far the hardest of any game. ChuChu, PSO, NFL 2K1 (so many hours on NFL btw because of the online), and so many more titles just didn't compare to testing something like this. I would like to think that my team was part of the reason US Shenmue was released in Japan. The game was so much cleaner and more refined they felt the need to release our version in Japan. That never happened back then. I did stumble across some early and later proto versions of the game this week. I want to dig into them soon and see what surprises lurk.

So the poster... I may be downplaying the issues we had with the poster a bit. Yes, it is a strange and obviously rare thing. I wish I had a better memory. All I can recall is that there was a huge WTF moment when SOA (San Fran) saw what SOE had done. It wasn't a pretty discussion.

mue 26 wrote: That poster confuses me. Did they literally just wholesale steal artwork from Enter the Dragon, and stick Shenmue underneath that? I far as I can tell that's what it is. Why on earth would anyone at Sega (or anyone in the world) think that was good idea. lol. Still, it's a very nice and unique item for the Shenmue collectors out there. I've now changed my mind (sorry LGS, sorry Marina), Rhino for member of the month! I'm actually gonna PM qwerty (something I thought I'd never do) my vote that's how much I'm rating you bruh.

P.S I forgive you for your lack of diligence in finding the forklift bug :P

Rhino Hazuki has received a thanks from: mue 26
Rhino Hazuki

Return to Off Topic