Newb Question

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Newb Question

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Okay, I am out of the loop on the whole give Yu the license thing. Can someone give me the quick overview on what the story is? Is Yu trying to release Shenmue III on his own? If he had the license, what platform could he release it on and with what publisher? Sorry if these are all dumb questions. I just joined a couple of weeks ago.
Rhino Hazuki
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Newb Question

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:46 pm

It's the latest Shenmue campaign. Let's Get Sweaty's pretty much the guy running the show, so he'd be the best one to talk to about it. In a nutshell though, on the 3rd of every month, TeamYu tries to get as many people as possible to tweet "#GiveYuTheShenmueLicense" or summat along those lines. SEGA's usually tagged in the tweets. Yu Suzuki has nothing to do with it, it's basically trying to put pressure on SEGA to release the rights to him so he can finish the series without the executives stonewalling him.

Whilst it may not be successful in getting a direct response from SEGA, it's one of the more successful campaigns in terms of mass contribution and resilience. More and more people seem to join every month, although with the help of Thunderclap, this should be a given now.

They usually host competitions too, and the best or most original tweet can win you a prize. Just don't expect to win a Master System game that you can play on a pre-Mega Drive era build of a Saturn.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Rhino Hazuki
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Neo Matrix » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Just a thought... Inafune is creating a game that's "not a Megaman sequel" but clearly looks like a Megaman game. Would it be possible for a similar campaign to create a game in the same vein of Shenmue, but with a different "skin" as it were? I know it wouldn't quite be the same, but it might be a compromise...

Neo Matrix has received a thanks from: Rhino Hazuki
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby mue 26 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Check the thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44792 It should explain everything more or less.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Rhino Hazuki
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rhino Hazuki » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 pm

Thank you all for the clarification. That is pretty interesting stuff. I remember a big re-org with the development teams in the tail end of my career at Sega. It was a little sad to see the organization change from the way it was run when Sega was a first party hardware company. Each team had their own identity and "rockstardom" if you will. The Sonic Team actually lived in SF for a few years just so the guys could experience the US culture. They were a super cool bunch of guys. A few of them were incredible snowboarders as well. Obviously, I am sure there was good reason behind the changes especially given the 3rd party software only direction.
Rhino Hazuki

Currently playing: Shenmue

Return to Off Topic