What are the chances the game is in development?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What are the chances the game is in development?

Postby darksniper » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Imagine if you were a Sega employee, or an insider in the industry that knows things that are kept in the public. What if you knew that Sega planned on making the infamous sequel that's going to make a shock in the gaming industry. I can only imagine if I knew something like that, It'd be hard as hell for me to keep my mouth shut.

-We have the Sega representative(name escapes me) who was very excited to acknowledge that fans want some more Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia

-Yu Suzuki "I think Sega will let me make the game" (sitting right next to the lead architect of the PS4

-Adam Boyes mentioning that Shenmue is one of the most requested games to bring to PS4. Sony openly hinting that they already have/or will be discussing with Sega about the game.

-Sega mentioning that they are open to revisiting the series if one of the big three is willing to fund it

-Direct trolling from Sega in the new Sonic Racing game

For me it's not even a question of IF Sega will bring Shenmue III back. It's a matter of HOW they plan on doing it. Yu Suzuki's statement to me is the most tangible piece of evidence that it's coming. Or at least there has been some SERIOUS talks within Sega about bringing it back.

Sega is absolutely aware that one of their IP'S is the Pandora's Box of gaming. Shenmue(part1) is literally one of the very last AAA games that is STILL exclusive to one console. That alone made it's value skyrocket. Sega knows it's reputation is on the line when it comes to this one singular game, so they're treating it as delicate as possible.

You're not going to wake up one day and check IGN and BAM!!! SHENMUE III IS ANNOUNCED!!!! out of the clear blue sky. This is going to take tactful planning on Sega's part and they absolutely know it. Which by coincidence we have the Shenmue discussion coming at GDC later this first quarter. If nothing is announced, this will be looked at as an extreme disappointment for everyone involved.

Let's be patient and see what happens after GDC. Until then, keep fighting the good fight!!

darksniper has received a thanks from: nskachu
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: What are the chances the game is in development?

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Who knows... It could very well be in development hell since more then a decade. It most likely is as there definately has to be some material that goes beyond Shenmue II that hasn't surfaced. Sega is known to leak like a rusty bucket when it comes to Sonic but Shenmue stuff is tightly sealed. They seem to keep that IP under super high top secret level or else we would have some early beta or even Saturn stuff by now.

The current situation is of course interesting and a lot of thing point in one direction, that Shenmue III eventually is in the making (again) right now. This stuff has been said countless times by now already but that what most of the community is thinking right now. I can only repeat that I'm pretty optimistic since all the recent good news.

Let's just hope that they really just keep things under wraps really good and that Shenmue III is actually somewhat far in development. Though I wouldn't mind waiting 2-3 more years for the development process if it get's announced this year.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: nskachu
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ys » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 am

I did some calculations using this one :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinge ... t_equation

Using some calculated guesses for unknown variables I arrived at probability amplitudes of 1/5 for "in development", 4/5 for "not in development".

Disclaimer : The guesses might be totally wrong and I'm curious what GDC will bring.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 am

My dad works at nintendo and he said it's in development for the wii solar system that will be released in 2017
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:38 am

Your dad is SO getting fired.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 am

I'm his dad (at least that's what I told him), and I can't be fired as I'm unemployed and never really had a job in the first place.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Armbreakfire » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:01 pm

After seeing "SHEN 3" on the license plate of Ryo's Outrun vehicle, I'm pretty convinced that it is in their plans to continue the series in the near future. Given the history of the game's development, I'm NOT entirely convinced Sega would stick to their plans if that was the case. Maybe they'll announce it to be in the works and then eventually cancel the project again..? Either way, I think there's a pretty good chance that they'll be making a big announcement about the game. I'm sure we'll hear something from Yu Suzuki by GDC.

I've been feeling optimistic.
Armbreakfire
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: FF7, Sonic Transformed

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:42 pm

Armbreakfire wrote: After seeing "SHEN 3" on the license plate of Ryo's Outrun vehicle, I'm pretty convinced that it is in their plans to continue the series in the near future.

Steve Lycett, head of Sumo Digital:

Don't get too excited over the number plate, it is of course a tongue in cheek reference to just how long it's taking for SEGA to get that third part out
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby darksniper » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Armbreakfire wrote: After seeing "SHEN 3" on the license plate of Ryo's Outrun vehicle, I'm pretty convinced that it is in their plans to continue the series in the near future.

Steve Lycett, head of Sumo Digital:

Don't get too excited over the number plate, it is of course a tongue in cheek reference to just how long it's taking for SEGA to get that third part out

Either way you look at it, Sega employees openly saying that it's time is never a bad thing....

Even though this is a hypothesis, and it might sound crazy and maybe it is. But I think Shenmue III has had at least 6 months of development time already. If Sega is going to announce the game, it must be done properly. At the bare minimum, it's very realistic for Sega to have a trailer prepared for Shenmue III by GDC.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:39 am

I agree with the game possibly having six months of development at this point but I doubt we'll see a trailer this soon. I can't even see them revealing any news this year. Until they get to a point where the release is guaranteed they're not going to let us know anything. The blowback would be too massive if they dropped it at this stage.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 am

darksniper wrote:Either way you look at it, Sega employees openly saying that it's time is never a bad thing....

Steve isn't a Sega employee. He's executive producer for Sumo Digital, who in turn are owned by Foundation 9 Entertainment. The only involvement he has with Sega is when they ask his studio to make games for them. Sorry to burst the bubble.. #-o
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Return to Shenmue III