Tentei Revealed???

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Tentei Revealed???

Postby ShenSun » Sat May 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Hey Dojo,

In case some of you missed it, James and Norris posted a detailed analysis of the Shenmue concept art that was featured at GDC. Interestingly, they noticed something that im sure will make you raise your eyebrows. Ill add my own theories and thoughts into this discussion aswell.

Ok, so if you blow up card number 8, you can clearly see two pictures of Ryo. One screaming, and one possibly training/sneaking. However, if you look at the background, you'll notice that there is a bald man wearing a suit faded into the clouds. Interestingly, there are four other individuals at different points of the mountains.

Could that man in the clouds be Tentei, and the 4 individuals be the 4 leaders of the Chi You?

I believe those individuals are as follows.

The lan Di figure appears to have Lan di's tradtional pose that we see in Shenmue artwork

The Niao Sun figure appears to be wearing something long and wide, like a dress.

The ziming figure appears to be looking out over a mountain by himself.

The last individual is interesting. It appears as if he is carrying a staff, which could potentially suggest that he is an old man?

Could this be the same guy?

And last but not least, Tentei. The big boss, in the heavens watching over everyone.

What do you guys think?

In case you missed it, here's Jame's original video.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by ShenSun on Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: shengoro86
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Tentei Revealed???

Postby KX-5 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:04 am

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the Tentei theories so I apologize if my question sounds a bit dumb. But I was always under the impression that most people theorized that the blacked out 4th member was Tentei? How long have people been assuming that there is a leader above all four of the Chi You Men leaders? I watched his video last night and I definitely think its a possibility though. But we also have to keep in mind these slides are mainly from 1998 or so when Shenmue was still the Virtua Fighter RPG, so all of these could just be scrapped ideas at the end of the day unfortunatley :/ It certainly sits a lot better with me than the Baihu theories though :p
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Shadow_Exodus
Currently playing: L.A. Noire

Postby ShenSun » Sun May 18, 2014 9:35 am

As far as im aware, there are 4 boss's that guard a cardinal point throughout China. (Lan Di, Niao Sun, Ziming, Unknown guy). Then there is one above them who is the ruler of the Chi you. "The boss of the boss", Tentei.

phpBB [video]

ShenSun has received a thanks from: KX-5
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Sun May 18, 2014 2:48 pm

About Ten Tei [and by the way about Baihu]: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=1064461#p1064459

About Baihu: viewtopic.php?t=24098

Probably that man: Image, is that man: Image?

Scroll: http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31394

Giorgio has received a thanks from: KX-5
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun May 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Am I the only one who found the "lore" behind Shenmue the least interesting thing about the games?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby KX-5 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:45 am

ShenSun wrote: As far as im aware, there are 4 boss's that guard a cardinal point throughout China. (Lan Di, Niao Sun, Ziming, Unknown guy). Then there is one above them who is the ruler of the Chi you. "The boss of the boss", Tentei.

phpBB [video]

Thank you Shen! I've never seen this interview before, this makes everything make a lot more sense to me now. Jesus it probably IS him O.o. I have to say though....he certainly doesn't look as threatening or intimidating as I thought someone in charge of the entire Chi You Men would be. Then again I suppose the quiet ones are always the most dangerous. What are your thoughts?
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KX-5 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 am

Giorgio wrote: About Ten Tei [and by the way about Baihu]: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=1064461#p1064459

About Baihu: viewtopic.php?t=24098

Probably that man: Image, is that man: Image?

Scroll: http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31394

Thank you so much for the links Gio, I tried finding these on the forums but I wasn't having much luck. There's some really interesting ideas here

KX-5 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon May 19, 2014 9:28 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Am I the only one who found the "lore" behind Shenmue the least interesting thing about the games?

I just enjoyed the mystery of the games. It's almost like a detective game. The whole,"I don't know but ask such-and-such," "Nope, I never heard of him but I hear he likes sailors," "That key to the treasure chest is in the water temple," etc. There's something satisfying about chasing down leads and finding the information you need to progress while meeting new people and learning new moves along the way.

About the lore..there's just so much that we only speculate about. And I think that's what drives so many of us insane. We have so many pieces to the puzzle but there are huge gaps of connecting pieces that we don't know where they fit. The GDC postmortem shed some light about where the pieces fit(especially in regards to where Ryo will go) in the grand scheme but we're still missing a lot.

And probably the most haunting question in Shenmue is "What exactly do the mirrors do?" We've heard they lead to treasure or they resurrect Chi You but what all does that entail? True resurrection? Possession?

It's all maddening trying to piece the puzzle together. I hope we get a chance with all the pieces one day. If nothing more will come of Shenmue I will accept that, but at least finish telling us the story.

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, MiTT3NZ
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Mon May 19, 2014 10:06 am

I like the theory. I like all these theories because it just fun because it's like a detectives game on it's own.
Thinking about the plot of Shenmue is a never ending puzzle as long as we don't finally get the whole thing. It's just such a massive and compley story.

If you look close you can see that the mysterios man looks very chinese. The almost bald head with just a bit of hair in the back, the style of the beard. It doesn't seem to be grey so I guess that man is around 50-60 years old wich fits the image of a leader that stays in the background for me.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: shengoro86
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon May 19, 2014 10:23 am

BlueMue wrote:If you look close you can see that the mysterios man looks very chinese. The almost bald head with just a bit of hair in the back, the style of the beard. It doesn't seem to be grey so I guess that man is around 50-60 years old wich fits the image of a leader that stays in the background for me.

Does anyone else see Master Chen when they look at the guy's face in the sky? That could be a beard but it could be just a shadow. I'm not saying he is Master Chen, it just really looks like him.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby YAZUKI PS4 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:31 pm

hi friends iam new on the forum i am huge fan of shenmue series the reason i buy dreamcast and xbox on the past iam for the greece i hope shenmue 3 coming for next gen systems [-o<

YAZUKI PS4 has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Supa
YAZUKI PS4
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: PS4

Postby DreamcastPast » Mon May 19, 2014 3:06 pm

I enjoy all the Shenmue lore, we're looking into the two games so much, we may not have got so much out of them if the story had continued...

Anyhow, I took a different image of the 'Tentei' slide into photoshop, ran a high pass filter on it, adjusted contrast etc etc to give the image on the right. Gives a slightly better look at the man in question...

also, I think the character marked as Ziming on the tile below is actually Niao Sun, for a few reasons, Niao Sun is said to be in charge of the south http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Niao_Sun, the character appears to be slim, have red flowing clothing and there is an area of skin colour directly below the head i.e. the cleavage exposing dress she wears. Maybe the four masters are in their relative positions to the four heavenly beasts compass) Niao Sun controling the south etc)...

... as per this?

DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby ShenSun » Mon May 19, 2014 4:55 pm

So i broke into Sega's Headquarters and stole a pic of Tentei :p

Chang from Kof :)
Last edited by ShenSun on Tue May 20, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:29 am

Thanks for the plug Shensun!

Myself and Norris are doing more work on this theory to see if we can conclude on it.

Will update as we move along.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Fenix » Tue May 20, 2014 11:05 am

If that fat and suited man is Tentei, then who is the man we see in the 10th chapter?

Ok guys, I have a theory linked to this. If the eyes of chapter X are not from Tentei, maybe it's a new enemy to Akira. As we know, the concept of story was "new journey begins". And we also know that the main enemy or rival to Akira in VF Series is Kage Maru. Those eyes are pretty similar to Kage Maru in VF anime. So...

And now, the old man doing a palm move. To me, he's similar with the old man in chapter VI.

And one more thing. The Ziming name could not be in the correct place. This character has a tail on his head and he's probably Lan Di.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Next

Return to Shenmue III