Shenmue HD Remaster (Fan Made)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Shenmue HD Remaster (Fan Made)

Postby Ziming » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 am

A project to remaster Shenmue in HD is being made by South Koreans fans of the game. Not much is known about the project or how far they will go to finishing it. Demonstration videos below:

Multimedia: Dobuita Video | Yu Arcade Video | Screenshots

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Shenmue HD Remaster (Fan Made)

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:43 am

It would be interesting to see how far he's willing to go with it now being open to the public. I read on other sites the concern with Sega's history of Cease and Desist orders. It could be possible considering a Shenmue HD might be seen as stepping on the toes of Sega if they still have any legitimate plans to do this themselves. Sega hasent really been a fan friendly company these years.

Besides that, this looks amazing and I love it. I want to play it someday.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 am

Screw Sega if it C&Ds him. As long as someone isn't making money on it, what concern should it be to Sega? If they actually plan on making HD remakes then I'd understand, but since they care nothing about the series they should just go back to making Sonic games and leave this guy, his talent and his love for the game alone.

elfshadowreaper has received 3 thanks from: Flatlandaniel, Giorgio, Yama
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 am

Looks great, a fresh breath of air watching these videos. Somebody needs to tweet these videos to SEGA and see what they have to say.
Last edited by *Kenshin Himura* on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby laagi » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:39 am

This really made me smile and sad at the same time. It's truly amazing that after all these years Shenmue still gets so much Love from Fans around the World. And some even dedicating their time, effort, money? etc. to make a HD remake.

Sad at the same time that the Shenmue Series still gets neglected by the Studios and Creators. I for one decided to quit gaming until a new Shenmue or the very least HD remake for the Next-Gen consoles surface... Silent protest I guess :king:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how far this Fan made remake goes... Maybe a Kickstarter would be appropriate if it really gets serious ?
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:50 am

Looks nice, but no words about how this was made, i.e. which engine or so. Would love to see a playable demo of this... Graphics look really nice...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:03 pm

this guy just got the point : propose not 2, not 4 but just plenty of retro iconic titles for the next Shenmue. :lol: It would cost nothing for Sega and ensure to attract as many people as possible, no matter if it does not respect the"gameplay game time" balance of dear Yu.

Now I want in HD
Man Mo Temple interior
The fantastic antiques quarter
Guillin
That would be so lush =D>
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiyuu » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:44 pm

Master Kyodai wrote: Looks nice, but no words about how this was made, i.e. which engine or so. Would love to see a playable demo of this... Graphics look really nice...

There's a mention in Japanese that it's on Unreal engine.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Jibby » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Do you think that this could help indicate if Sega are planning to release any official HD remakes of Shenmue. I mean, if this is hit with a C&D then Sega could very well be up to something. It's a project by a fan that probably isn't going to further harm an already dead franchise. The only reason I could see legal action being taken over this is if Sega already have something in the works.
What do you think?
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Jibby wrote:Do you think that this could help indicate if Sega are planning to release any official HD remakes of Shenmue. I mean, if this is hit with a C&D then Sega could very well be up to something. It's a project by a fan that probably isn't going to further harm an already dead franchise. The only reason I could see legal action being taken over this is if Sega already have something in the works.
What do you think?

Id think that regardless, Sega could also issue a C&D just because they feel like it and not because they are interested in making a Shenmue HD. Either way, I hope this guy continues to work on it and either take the risk in asking Sega's permission or not asking at all and treating us all to a free version. If no money is being made of it a C&D would have less of a purpose.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Jibby » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Axm wrote:
Jibby wrote:Do you think that this could help indicate if Sega are planning to release any official HD remakes of Shenmue. I mean, if this is hit with a C&D then Sega could very well be up to something. It's a project by a fan that probably isn't going to further harm an already dead franchise. The only reason I could see legal action being taken over this is if Sega already have something in the works.
What do you think?

Id think that regardless, Sega could also issue a C&D just because they feel like it and not because they are interested in making a Shenmue HD. Either way, I hope this guy continues to work on it and either take the risk in asking Sega's permission or not asking at all and treating us all to a free version. If no money is being made of it a C&D would have less of a purpose.

I see what you mean. But even still, I really hope this at least inspires publishes and shows them the true beauty and potential of Shenmue and why it would be worth funding. Didn't Sega say they'd let Yu make the third game if another company funded it?
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Oyajitchi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:26 am

I think that when the project progresses more is when we should worry about any C&D orders. SEGA probably isn't going to be entertaining any C&D until there is more to see imo. There has been numerous projects based off gaming franchises that when first announced had no trouble, that is until the game is released or has had more to be seen.
Oyajitchi
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby johnvivant » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:52 am

this is good exposure for the series, and a real testament to the dedications of fans.
problem is now that people will have much higher expectations for the quality of the hd remakes (should they ever even happen). I highly doubt whether sega will put this much work into them.

I would love a video of these areas with the time cycle and weather simulations - if he ever gets that completed.
his Ryo model is perfect but the walking animation is stiff and horrible. hope he gets that fixed. overall fantastic.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Fenix » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:54 am

I love Ryo's model. It seems to be the one from Sega all stars racing transformed.

Fenix has received a thanks from: cApNhOwDy
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby ShenSun » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 am

Man, those videos have become pretty popular. Alot of people and well known sites are fascinated by Shenmue HD's potential. Sega what is wrong with you? You no like money?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Next

Return to News and Updates