Gta5 being removed from australian stores for making enterta

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Gta5 being removed from australian stores for making enterta

Postby south carmain » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Target said on Wednesday it would stop selling the game in response to customer complaints sparked by an online petition posted by three women identifying themselves as victims of violence in the sex industry.

“This misogynistic GTA 5 literally makes a game of bashing, killing and horrific violence against women,” the petition, which has been signed by more than 40,000 people, said.
http://appygamer.mobilesrepublic.com/We ... 2032757904

Thoughts on this? although it's true you can do this against female npcs (calling them women when they aren't even real is an exaggeration in my opinion) the way they go about it makes it sound like it is the focus of the game when it really isn't.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Gta5 being removed from australian stores for making ent

Postby OL » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:29 am

Whining.
It's a videogame. Get over it. Go watch Lifetime.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:09 am

posted by three women identifying themselves as victims of violence in the sex industry

Wrong industry, ladies.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Oppy
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Oppy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:02 am

Bad news for the whole 10 people that buy videogames at Target.
Since Target is a more of a family orientated department store in Australia, It doesnt supprise me they are picky about the content of the media they stock, its not the first time either, they refuse to stock many ultra violent MA/R rated movies.
Its mainly a place for parents to buy discount clothing, homeware, and toys for their snotty nosed kids. I dont think that many people would go out of their way to pick up a game from Target anyway, when there are many other stores that have a greater range and better prices.

Oppy has received a thanks from: Kenny
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Sonikku » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:01 am

Oh no, people are playing a fictional video game character in a fantasy world in a way in which I disagree with. Somebody take the product away from them so that I may take comfort in the knowledge that no imaginary prostitutes were hurt in the playing of this game!

Will someone PLEASE think of the (fictional) prostitutes?! :sad:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Axm
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby JMan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:00 am

south carmain wrote:“This misogynistic GTA 5 literally makes a game of bashing, killing and horrific violence against women,”

GTA 5 is truly a disgrace. Postal 2 had so much more. :lol:

JMan has received a thanks from: OL
JMan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ys » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Another one of these cases? #-o

A paper here had a similar discussion, making it sound as if this was the main storyline. It bothers me that the media and mainstream customer don't check facts. I mean, you can do horrific things against anyone but they love to create a female-centered case out of it.
And three people? Three? Really? As someone said over here : it's not normal that more and more people agree that things should be censored or forbidden if it hurts the sensibilities of even a single person.

Why don't they go against books, movies etc. too? Where's their petition against 50 Shades of Grey which is immensely popular with women? I mean, it's all about mental and physical abuse.

One of the Houser brothers once said that they provided the freedom of a "living" world and that it was up to people to do with it what they want.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Fenix » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:45 pm

I think they're not speaking about violence against women.

phpBB [video]

Fenix has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:56 pm

:lol:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Nahovil » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:14 pm

I agree with everything that's been said here. Still wouldn't let a child of mine play it.

Nahovil has received a thanks from: OL
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mue 26 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Regardless of this whole issue of whether it's a good or bad thing that this supermarket chain has pulled the game, I do have to say the whole "grope a stripper" mini-game thing I've been reading about does sound like a bizarrely tasteless and pointless inclusion in the game.

I'm not at all arguing it should be censored, but I just can't understand why Rockstar included it. It seems to serve no purpose than to reinforce the existing ideas that men need to assert dominance, force physical contact and undermine the confidence of women, to get sex. Rockstar should feel pretty ashamed.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Calshot » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:08 am

mue 26 wrote: Regardless of this whole issue of whether it's a good or bad thing that this supermarket chain has pulled the game, I do have to say the whole "grope a stripper" mini-game thing I've been reading about does sound like a bizarrely tasteless and pointless inclusion in the game.

I'm not at all arguing it should be censored, but I just can't understand why Rockstar included it. It seems to serve no purpose than to reinforce the existing ideas that men need to assert dominance, force physical contact and undermine the confidence of women, to get sex. Rockstar should feel pretty ashamed.

Really? You can't understand why the series that let's you murder hookers to get your money back after using them might have some tasteless content?
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby mue 26 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:03 am

GTA styles itself as some kind of witty satire on American life, but there is precisely zero satirical intent in that groping mini-game. It just seems to be a bafflingly irresponsible inclusion with no purpose but to propagate the idea that women who display some skin are all "just gagging for it" ect. And of course that murdering prostitutes to get your money back mechanic is also a totally vacuous and pointless and irresponsible inclusion. This stuff isn't witty or fun in the least.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to General Gaming