Did Shenmue III reveal make you cry?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Did Shenmue III reveal make you cry? (Total votes: 50)

Yes, I bawled like a baby.
30%
I shed a tear
22%
My eyes got a bit watery
30%
I don't cry, I suppress my emotions until I develop an ulcer like a real man.
18%

Re: Did Shenmue III reveal make you cry?

Postby ShinChuck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:40 pm

No, because I didn't feel it was time to rest. It was like a call to action instead.

My first thought was to verify (I didn't see it live; someone texted me after the announcement). I took a breath or two, went to the computer (I was watching WWE Raw), and confirmed it. My next thought was to mobilize. I started posting on Facebook and Twitter, preparing for a long Kickstarter battle and a month of trying to do what I could to hype it up for people (hope for the best, prepare for the worst!), and then watched the ticker fly, accomplishing the goal in short order.

In two and a half years when I have the game in my hands? Then I might. That's going to be a powerful day, indeed.
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:43 pm

The instant the music started it had me weeping. 14 years of agony was finally lifted.

I cracked open a Asahi and ran on adrenaline for the rest of the night, couldn't even sleep.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Axm
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:57 pm

skatblast wrote: I bawled my eyes out for a good few minutes, i used to play / watch my older brother play in the earlier 2000's and we bonded over the game quite a bit, talked about how we thought the story would end etc. Hes dead now so he wont be able to finish it, but i certainly will. RIP

Shit... couldn't even imagine that.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ys » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:11 pm

skatblast wrote: I bawled my eyes out for a good few minutes, i used to play / watch my older brother play in the earlier 2000's and we bonded over the game quite a bit, talked about how we thought the story would end etc. Hes dead now so he wont be able to finish it, but i certainly will. RIP

I'm sorry to hear that. The announcement takes on an extra dimension that way of course. Yesterday and today I was actually thinking about the fans who unfortunately died before the announcement/release.

I know what you mean about sharing interest in the game. I had the same with my brother (and girlfriend). Both were also on their way to pledge today actually.

I didn't shed a tear though and don't tend to do so for good news in general (a few gaming stories and songs managed to though). Probably because I got used to be sceptical so I doublechecked first. And I want to see some progress first. That will surely get me more excited. But I'm certainly glad that it got announced and was up most of the night to follow the news. Watching the trailer and see Yu announce in English was great though.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Locke_cole » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 pm

I didn't cry but I made a noise that I never knew I could make

Locke_cole has received a thanks from: Axm
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bastard Yusuke » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:50 pm

A single tear dropped down my eye. A tear that I thereafter sucked back in and shit out. Men don't cry, god damn you

Bastard Yusuke has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, OL
Bastard Yusuke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Peter messaged me. I thought he was fucking with me. Then I saw it. Yes I cried.
I'll talk more on this later.. stay tuned.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby mikec_ct » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:47 pm

I am honestly in shock. A part of me never believed that this day would come. One thing's for sure, the first thing I did after donating was think: "I have to check the dojo NOW"

mikec_ct has received a thanks from: Yukupo
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:47 am

When I was told the news, I was like:

"That's cool."

Then it finally clicked in my head, then I was like:

"Oh wait, that's a big deal."
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Lando » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:33 am

The second the playes the first tone of the theme I started crying, I can't even remember when I cried for anything.. probably when I was 10 years old and my grandfather died, almost 20 years ago,m was the latest time. But this time, I just started crying right away and shouted in joy.It was a state of shock almost.
Lando
Asia Travel Representative

Postby disbeliever » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 am

It worked in a very emotional way on me, just as the games, like the end credits of the first Shenmue. Yes, I cried. And made everything harder now (no subliminal message here). The thing is, I already gave up the hope in this industry the way it is now, where it goes. I'm playing games since 25 years already and the last couple of them were the worst ones, despite having more possibilities, hardware-wise. The only game I was really waiting for was P.T. and that 's been cancelled as well.

At the same time, because of fate, or whatever, I need to re-organize my life, go back to school because of the serious health issues I am having (my backbone is pretty much fucked-up for good, several disc prolapses, compressed nerves etc.) I could choose whatever I want (well, anything not really affecting my physical health) while not worrying about the financial aspects. This is a very comfortable situation you may say, so I was thinking about studying Game Design and eventually Game Programming... I am actually visiting classes as of right now, just to see if it's doable for me... I'd start in October this year for good. And the pretty much only reason I'd do that is the very little hope I had that eventually, just EVENTUALLY I'd be able to help make Shenmue 3 a reality, somehow, someday, contribute, do whatever I'm capable of doing in order to bring it back. As naive as it may sound... So, I'm visiting those classes now, have even lesser hope in this industry, seeing how things work business-wise. This industry seems to be a nightmare nowadays. A nighmare for the passionate people being nothing but milked like cows. You'd say it doesn't look much better elsewhere, but I say it used to be better, just look at the games from the past, their quality, originality, look at Shenmue f.e.. The industry has seen better times, for both developers and customers. I actually wanted to go completely indie afterwards, not being a part of this soulless milking machine, but it's easier to say... And while I still wasn't sure if I want to go through all of this at all, this hope, vision of Shenmue III on the horizon, someday, was motivating me. Now it's gone and while I'm certainly happy that Shenmue III becomes reality(F.YEAH!), it made everything more difficult for me. Now there's no light at the end of the tunnel and I still need to decide if I want to invest much time and effort into all of this. Or choose something else...

So yeah, I wish this announcement happened not now but actually few years from now, in the future... Very selfish, I know. Why is Shenmue always affecting me so much? This is weird. Also, I was about to visit Japan for the first time this year and actually was on my track to make this trip happen this month and still am! What a coincidence... What a month! Fate, are you really there?
disbeliever

PSN: disbeliever616
XBL: disbeliever616
Currently playing: Bloodborne

Postby we420 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:34 pm

As soon as I heard the music I stood on my chair and screamed at the top of my lungs. Then when the video started playing I cried tears of joy.
we420
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:04 pm

I didn't cry...it was more like 'What. What. Wait, are you fucking serious...OH MY GOD. EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!' :P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Anthony817 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss skatblast. That is my biggest fear too. My best friend and my brother both liked Shenmue almost as much as I. They both pledged money towards it. Best friend threw down 100. I am 31 now, they are both in thier late 20's. We also bonded a lot passing the controller back in the day just being amazed that a system designed back in like 97-98 could produce those kind of graphics and be that immersive.

I cried and am proud to say it moved me that much. No other game has that kind of power over me. It is such a beautiful story I just don't want to think about dying before seeing the story completed.

Anyways, my brother called me as I was watching the livestream and I literally could not utter a word to him. I was mumbling unable to speak and was on the verge of crying. He hung up and then the tears came rushing out. No shame in saying that. I was effectively at a loss for words and in complete shock and awe. That was the best E3 feeling ever. Nothing can top that for me. I doubt anything ever will.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Previous

Return to Shenmue III