What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Postby Malik Ishtahl » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Oh man... you have no idea how it feels to see all you old faces. I kind of wonder if the other veterans are around lurking, or if they've moved on with their lives. It feels like a high school reunion though, so awesome :) And it's surreal when you think about how different the world was back then... I remember Miles Prower's dial up connection, we'd always randomly get knocked off :rotflmao:

So in the past 14 years let's see....

-Joined the Dojo in 2002 as a creepy 7th grader who had trouble making (good) friends. It also didn't help that I was the only kid in my school that had a Dreamcast and wasn't pressed for the PS2.
-Met some cool ass people (RyoFromYokosuka, MilesPrower, XDPico, DragonSlayer88)! And despite the lies and propaganda about Shenmue 3, stayed on with the Dojo faithfully through it's upgrade and when the forums split.
-Since I stopped coming around, made more of an effort to make more friends in real life, and subsequently stopped spending as much time on the internet.
-Puberty apparently worked wonders for me as I gained some muscle mass and gained slightly more confidence and began putting myself out there, and eventually began making friends in the real world!
-Finished High School and College with a degree in English Language and Literature (like Miles) and started working in the restaurant industry as a manager.
-Currently working at a shipping company, but plan to get my Masters in Cyber Security and finish writing a fantasy novel with one of my best friends from High School (I am 25 now)

Can we all come back together and make this community better than it was before?! T

Malik Ishtahl has received 2 thanks from: Birty, Lan Di-sama
Malik Ishtahl
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: Dre4life90
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: GTA Online

Postby yesteryeargames » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:39 pm

Wel in 14 years I completed the complete pal set of dreamcast games, I guess that's an achievement ?

Qualified for britipns best Nintendo gamer 2 years in a row , met charles martinet

Um not much else to report .

I play shenmue 1 nearly every Christmas as it brings so many good memories back when I first placed it at Christmas , blew my mind .

Still 2-3 years to go , I hope I live to see it . I am only 29 but you never know .

So close yet so far :)
Last edited by yesteryeargames on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yesteryeargames
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Splatoon

Postby Birty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Welcome back man it's been a long time!

Birty has received a thanks from: Malik Ishtahl
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:41 pm

If you want a real nostalgia boost, go to your user panel and view your posts from when you first joined. I'm tearing up a bit reading posts from 2003 about Shenmue III, partly from nostalgia, and partly because my writing was so awful...but hey, I was 13.

ooouhh, here's a fun one from a Dec 2003 "New Year's Resolution" topic:

Bambi wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote:1-Beat shenmue and shenmue II 15 times each before '05.
2-Get sexier.

I’m afraid that those two are mutually exclusive…

:rotflmao:

I was more ambitious back then.

Oh, and here's Birty's resolution:

Birty wrote: To find out ANY form of Shenmue III News....

Good job, buddy! You did it! Slow and steady wins the race.

Lan Di-sama has received 2 thanks from: Birty, Malik Ishtahl
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Malik Ishtahl » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:57 pm

I went back and read my old posts.... I am not proud.

Malik Ishtahl has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Malik Ishtahl
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: Dre4life90
Currently playing: GTA Online

Postby Jibby » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:04 pm

I first played Shenmue sometime around 2001 when I was 4, so my whole life has pretty much happened!(I know, I'm young for a Shenmue fan :D )
But this year I'm going to Uni to study Film and Media and I'll just be starting my 3rd year by the time Shenmue comes out. Crazy!

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Lan Di-sama, PacemaŜinobo
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sanz88 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Wow, I met Shenmue a bit later (in late 2001 when the Dreamcast was already in decline), but I remember that I've learnt lots of English words and phrases from this game (and obviously, from others as well).
I still remember the day I got Shenmue 2 (after finishing off Shenmue 1 in a couple of days), and I told my mother that I won't be going to school for a few days. She agreed to let me play for 4 days straight.
Since then I replay both games roughly every year (I haven't completed them this year but I will).

Also, I finished high school, uni (studied English literature and linguistics), moved to the UK, and I've been working for 5 years for software companies writing technical documents about their products. So yeah, I can't believe that 14 years just passed like that...
Sanz88
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ShinChuck » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Graduated high school, went to college, dropped out, went back, managed a GameStop, went into the Army, did my time there, back into college for Asian Studies, got married, switched from Asia Studies to Psychology (better prospects for the family financially), switched from WSU to the Ohio State, wrote a few books somewhere in the mix with a few more in their infancy, and here I am.
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby goaliefrk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:48 am

Lan Di-sama wrote: If you want a real nostalgia boost, go to your user panel and view your posts from when you first joined. I'm tearing up a bit reading posts from 2003 about Shenmue III, partly from nostalgia, and partly because my writing was so awful...but hey, I was 13.

ooouhh, here's a fun one from a Dec 2003 "New Year's Resolution" topic:

Bambi wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote:1-Beat shenmue and shenmue II 15 times each before '05.
2-Get sexier.

I’m afraid that those two are mutually exclusive…

:rotflmao:

I was more ambitious back then.

Oh, and here's Birty's resolution:

I'm pretty sure like all my posts were deleted. Can't say I'm not surprised.
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 am

Wow fourteen years. Fourteen years ago I was twelve. At fourteen I joined a gang , the gangster disciples to be exact, because I'm a fucking idiot who needed to be cool and respected Since I was a nerd who waa bullied. Had my daughter at sixteen. At twenty I was done, completely done with the gang so I moved pretty far away and started over. College (never actually graduated :(. Got a good job (I regret to inform you that it wasn't a blow one) had my second daughter in 2012 and am still with the same girl I was with since mIddle school. Also in 2008 I lost my ability to swallow for unknown reasons and almost died. I'm fine now but that was one hell of an adventure lol (long story). It's been good, it's been lovely, it's been bad, it's been ugly. No complaints

Perfect_Chaos has received a thanks from: goaliefrk
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kamikaze Kenny » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:24 am

Hmm... within the last 14 years...

1 - graduated from university
2 - got a job in the government doing office work, which I also did some ad-hoc IT stuff in, including writing some software which sped up some work the government does once a month to take 10 minutes (as opposed to an entire day). I just hope they don't still use it because I don't think it could work past 2009
3 - that job was just a temporary contract so got another job doing software and database work
4 - moved into a house I was renting with my girlfriend
5 - direct family emigrated, I stayed
6 - grandmother died
7 - lots of holidays, including Australia, New Zealand, New York, Prague, Dubai, and a huge road trip around America
8 - bought a house, and a car, and pet rats (I miss them)
9 - married girlfriend
10 - had baby
Kamikaze Kenny
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 am

sanoichiro wrote:and NOW, I manage a small bakery, just bought a house, and found out about one week ago that my wife and I are having a BABY!!!! :D :D :D Couldn't be happier with my life right now. I always said that if I ever got to play the continuation of Shenmue, I could die happy. Just when I'd learned to live without it, here it is. Dreams come true guys. Ganbare.

Congrats man! Shower that baby with love! And the best way to love your child is to love his/her mother! Remember that. Babies are awesome! Well, mine is, yours might not be as awesome. ;) To hear her finally say "Daddy!" when she see me...man..she just rips my heart out. It's adorable.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Birty » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:

Thanks man, I was confident all along haha. ;-)
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby Chaikilla » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:25 pm

I've changed. A lot.

The only thing that hasn't changed in my life is my love for this damn game.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:30 pm

I've been on the Dojo.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III