Fan feedback compilation on the Kickstarter

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Fan feedback compilation on the Kickstarter

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Some days ago I had made a thread compiling many of the aspects fans here and in other message boards were not happy about with the Kickstarter and in the recent days many of those have been addressed.

The KS is not perfect and we already all know this, at this point we should look ahead and encourage Awesome Japan to continue improving it.

Let's continue to compile what we believe can improve the KS. Please contribute by sending in your opinions. Then later please share it on social media. If mods would like to edit right into this post please feel free to do so.

Here are changes that they really ought to make:

- Add information about Shemue in general, especially for newcomers who do not know about the series (including what consoles they were released on and what made the games groundbreaking for their time).

- Add messages from friends (famous game industry veterans leaving messages in support of the game).

- Update the campaign video. Perhaps cut out the part discussing the scrolls as it's awkwardly placed. Also undub it! It will sound more sophisticated and natural.

- Revamp the page with fresh graphics.

- Add that the money from the Kickstarter does not reduce Sony's involvement, it's entirely supplemental.
----- Saying not a cent goes to Sony has helped, but many still think it's saving Sony money as they believe it leaves less for Sony to fund. (unless this is actually the case?)

- Add the key parts that were revealed in the Twitch on the Kickstarter page. (*some of this has been done)

Here are changes that they really should consider:

- Have updates that show the community's involvement.
----- Include fan arts, music remix, reactions to the announcement or fans sharing their experiences with Shenmue etc. Promote fan initiatives, such as $30 on the 3rd.

- Updates describing and discussing major characters in the series (without too many spoilers).

- Improve some of the rewards, consider a PS4 backer exclusive outer sleeve to put over an eventual PS4 physical release if one were to come post Kickstarter. This might encourage pledging even without the physical game reward.

- The Twitch was good (except in presentation) but Yu Suzuki should make a few more videos to answer questions asked via Twitter. Igarashi did this and backers loved it.

- Display the Famitsu picture of Ryo. Even after the Twitch some still feel it's the best looking version at the moment.

- Perhaps a Twitch featuring co producer Cedric Biscay (with more preparations on the technical side).

Then of course the obvious, which according to the latest news is expected to come soon:

- New round of new tiers.

- Possible PS4 physical reward?

- Announcement regarding DRM for the PC version.

- Addition of Paypal.

What would you like to add, alter or remove?
Last edited by Doom_Infinite on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Fan feedback compilation on the Kickstarter

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:56 pm

They could explain how Shenmue revolutionize video game at the time, yeah, but they should explain even more what is Shenmue 3 presumed to innovate at present, and what is Shenmue 3 going to like significantly.

I don't like the way the fans emphasize the past when they want to defend Shenmue. Newcomers don't care, they want to know about the game as itself : an open world focused on quality rather quantity, high detailed and intelligent NPC, storytelling smoothness, fighting system inspired by popular Virtua Fighter (?), spiritual subjects, talented musicians, kung fu movies inspiration, charismatic characters, various gameplay phases, etc. Everything that makes Shenmue different and interesting without considering the past.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Need's more big price big gifts. The major drive for most sub 300 tiers is obviously the ps4 physical disc. This is where the bulk of the money is going to come from. They really need to push the physical like it's the 2nd coming of god.

Basically here is what they need to do with tiers (since every high priced gift has been selling out ultra fast to hardcore fans, why not throw many more up there?

1. Physical release in 3 tiers $70 for ps4 disc, case, manual map $125 metal case edition possible soundtrack etc
$300 Metal Case - Extra Dreamcast Case with the same art style of the dreamcast originals, Dreamcast Manual, Map

2. PS4 Physical and PS4 Special Edition Controller $1,000 Includes Dreamcast Case etc Limit (1,000) Possible Pledges $1,000 (and this one could be a big one, cause it's right in that ground for affordable... Possible Pledge Amount $1,000,000

2. Shenmue 3 Special edition Dreamcast $5000 - PS4 Metal Case - Dreamcat Case with CD soundtracks (no limit), Matching color scheme controller 200 (limit) If they can get the dreamcasts to make this happen the more the better of course. I think for that price they can find a few to buy over time to have a custom theme made.

3. Studio Tour, Special screening of artwork, old game engines etc 10,000 ( limit 50) tours and sessions set to 10 people per tour Total Possible Pledge $500,000

4. Full size toy machine filled with toy's and capsules. Signed by Yu and memebers of the team 10,000 (limit 50) Total possible pledge $500,000

5. NPC and voice in the game $10,000 (limit to 10) Possible Pledges $100,000

6. Supre Rare and high quality mirrors (10,000) *5) 50,000

7. Sonic capsule toys signed capsule by Yuji Nake, yu $1,000 1,000 limit

8. Streets of Rage Full 3 game character Set Capsule Toys $2,000 100 limit

9. Virtua Fighter 1 Full Game character Set Capsule Toys $3,000 100 limit

10. Daytona USA Capsule Cars (3 pack) $1,000 100, limit

11. Virtua Racing, Outrun , Hang on 3 toy pack $1,000

12. Uncharted Capsule Toys Drake, Sully etc (4 pack) $1,000

13. Special Edition RC Forklift with Ryu Toy $5,000 *Comes with crates , 3 tier steel and is an accurate toy that lets you lift tilt and drive like a real forklift.

14. Super Lmited PS4 Shenmue 3 edition KS only ($3,000) no limit Comes with the game, dreamcast game aware etc White console with the shenmue 3 logo. Special lights that are green instead of blue. Numbered

I don't think the toy machine would be that hard. They are already making toys, just have it have some amazing sega art.

Yeah, I was thinking bit, an they want to hit 10 million . well, gotta do these things I feel. Have to promote more while offering these things as well

If they could get permission to do some of these toys, I think they could try and do what nintendo is doing with amibos. They could release more an different toys at retail (sega could I mean) while allowing Yu to put them in the game as a sort of promotion process. Anyways, I hope these can be given and seen as ideas for the KS team.
I have faith if they do some of my tier suggestions it can move us in a realistic possibility of 10 million.

Sonic is more popular than shenmue in a big way, and I feel shenmue fans are sonic fans as well. It could be a good push if sega and YS work together to try and find a common ground.
Last edited by Jackie Fhan on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jackie Fhan has received a thanks from: wataro
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Make like a daily update talking about a different character every day (be it friend or foe, or just one of the funny characters) with some art or hd game screens and a brief presentation. In the last days of the campaign a random guy opens the page and sees a sweet presentation of the Shenmue world, messages from Yu Suzuki explaining the stretch goals, and a crap load of reward tiers he can choose from. Random guy is gonna pledge and tell a friend to check out the page, bingo.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Spend an hour or two responding to reasonable questions/requests on the comment box.

Regularly post interesting information on Twitter/Facebook: fan art, videos that sell the series, fan initiatives (30 on the 3rd), etc.

Apologize for the Twitch technical snags and recap the event for people who were unaware of it. Maybe set up another Twitch with Cedric Biscay and prepare a little better on the technical side?

They could've done all of these things this weekend, but apparently they worked so hard and things are going so swimmingly they don't need to do anything on the weekend.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Yes but at this rate they obviously lost the casual crowd and interest. They have to go big with collectibles and rewards. Ones that can sell at a high price, but sell to a ton of people. Dreamcast Case would be one of my bets along with the ps4 special edition version.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:41 pm

They can't promise physical rewards without first knowing if they can be manufactured and at what cost. My ideas are much more plausible in the short term.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KidMarine » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:46 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: They can't promise physical rewards without first knowing if they can be manufactured and at what cost.

Shouldn't they have sorted that out before starting the Kickstarter?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Yokosuka>
This is good.

Shenhua-nani?>
Thank you, just added that. :)

Jackie Fhan>
I like those rewards but some are problematic:

Anything of Sega's IP's outside of Shenmue (even the ones Suzuki san has worked on) would require approval with Sega and could be problematic to get in time. The same is probably true for Uncharted as they would have to go through Naughty Dog and SCEA first.

A studio tour for up to 50 is much too high. People who pledge very high amounts want to feel that what they're getting is exclusive. It won't feel like that if so many can get it.

Regarding the limited PS4 hardware, I'm not sure a Kickstarter has ever offered something like that, but interesting idea nonetheless.
Last edited by Doom_Infinite on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Doom_Infinite

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:50 pm

KidMarine wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: They can't promise physical rewards without first knowing if they can be manufactured and at what cost.

I'm talking about Jackie Fhan's ideas. He wants them to produce Dreamcast cases, etc. That all sounds great, but I don't really think they can promise anything like that at this point.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:55 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: They can't promise physical rewards without first knowing if they can be manufactured and at what cost. My ideas are much more plausible in the short term.

Well, I don't mean to throw it up there. But, IT is very very possible to get it. After they get it, they need to do the dreamcast case with it.

I think this is the saving grace of the KS and it has to be done. There is no way around it imo

It has to be the top priority. The best of the best kickstarters have made money on their 100 to 1000 tier being the go to tier. Along with some of the big awards I have suggested , they could possibly hit 10 million.

*that's all based on what I have seen through their past awards though
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:58 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:
KidMarine wrote:

I'm talking about Jackie Fhan's ideas. He wants them to produce Dreamcast cases, etc. That all sounds great, but I don't really think they can promise anything like that at this point.

Hear me out, and let me say that I respect you and I don't usually say this often but I completely disagree.

For one, A plastic case for cd's and things are some of the most easy things to come by. Not to mention a "dreamcast case" is nothing more than 2 printed inserts. This one is probably not only feasible but one of the most easy things to make. Very easy.

The idea of toys and things are much harder. Toy molds are not cheap one bit actually.

If they can make toys and sell them, they can obviously buy some common disc cases from a producer and make some inserts and a book for the manual.

I am having a hard time wondering why you think this is so hard? it's one of their most easy things to actaully produce and cheap.

Not to mention this would be the most sought after collectible by the majority of fans. I'm a huge gamer and while the watch and things are cool.. I can't really see why I would care so much to have that compare to having my dreamcast case up with my other cases. I mean, this is what game collectors live for, cases, games.

Trust me, they really need to do this.

Making toys is way harder , even I can mae my own "ps1" game cases. Just buy the cases, make the artwork and print.

Toys require sculpting, an expensive mold, Painting. Profits on the dreamcast cases would be way higher as well.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:02 pm

If they want to match the other DC Shenmue titles in Japan and Europe they would also need to make an outer sleeve. Another consideration is that the EU boxes were proprietary and unique to that region and system. Not sure they could reproduce those easily now. For the US and Japan however it should be very doable.
Doom_Infinite

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Doom_Infinite wrote: If they want to match the other DC Shenmue titles in Japan and Europe they would need to also need to make a cardboard outer slip. Another consideration is that the EU boxes were proprietary and unique to that region and system. Not sure they could reproduce those easily now. For the US and Japan however it should be very doable.

In china they make everything. You should see the movies . All of the bootleg blu rays come with the real slip cover, and real movie case insert. Actually, and sadly. It's the only way to buy movies here at all. makes me a little sad cause I can't even buy real Shaw Brother movies here, nor copies. I just do without.

Not sure how they get it, but they do. If china can easily do this, a legit company can get it done.

I think what you guys need to remember is, it can be made. Also, you don't price your teirs on KS to lose money. You make sure you cover your costs to make money with your asking price.

That's what I don't understand about people saying that they can't cover the Phsyical costs. Put it at 79.99 for a basic case if you have to, just get it done.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby wataro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:42 pm

$25k drive in / with Yu suzuki's Ferrari355 for 1 hour
$5k 20 min video conference with Yu Suzuki
$50 custom shenmue zippo lighter
$15 signed picture of Yu Suzuki's pets
wataro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Shenmue III