How likely is Shenmue HD?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

How likely is Shenmue HD?

Postby camy934 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 am

It would be nice to play the games again on a modern console, before the release of Shenmue 3. However, realistically how likely do we think this is?
camy934
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: How likely is Shenmue HD?

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:44 am

Extremely likely. It would be foolish from a business standpoint for Sega to ignore Shenmue anymore after the Kickstarters success. I'd like to think that it's been greenlit, even before the statement regarding the apology for ignoring their fans. So with that in mind, I can see Shenmue remasters coming in 2016.

Then again, this is Sega we are talking about...

Peter has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ConanTheKing » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:00 am

Peter wrote: Extremely likely. It would be foolish from a business standpoint for Sega to ignore Shenmue anymore after the Kickstarters success. I'd like to think that it's been greenlit, even before the statement regarding the apology for ignoring their fans. So with that in mind, I can see Shenmue remasters coming in 2016.

I agree with you, SEGA are not really known for making the best business decisions, that's how they ended up where they are. Therefore, I think the HD remaster is unlikely even though it makes sense. >_>
Last edited by ConanTheKing on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:04 am

Right, it's still SEGA and you shouldn't underestimate their denseness. But luckily there's also Sony, who made them release Yakuza 5 in western territories, and who might do something similar for Shenmue HD.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:07 am

Peter wrote:It would be foolish from a business standpoint for Sega

Foolish and Sega kind of go hand in hand.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:38 am

SEGA would be daft not to rerelease. But, whether they release a port of the Dreamcast versions or pull their fingers out and produce HD remasters is another question.

As others have said, though, this is SEGA we're talking about. They're hardly the most predictable company on the planet.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:14 am

It seems Yu still holds a lot of clout at SEGA. He was able to convince them to hand over the Shenmue license, maybe he can work his magic once again to convince them to give us HD remasters.

iyapol wrote: SEGA would be daft not to rerelease. But, whether they release a port of the Dreamcast versions or pull their fingers out and produce HD remasters is another question.

I think even a port with a slight overhaul would be something right now. The Dreamcast versions have aged pretty well.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:23 am

It will come sooner or later, the real question is: will they make a lazy port just with upscaled graphics, or will they make a proper HD remaster like REmake HD?
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:30 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: It will come sooner or later, the real question is: will they make a lazy port just with upscaled graphics, or will they make a proper HD remaster like REmake HD?

A lazy port is the best case scenario. I don't want modern SEGA to remake the game.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:34 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote: It will come sooner or later, the real question is: will they make a lazy port just with upscaled graphics, or will they make a proper HD remaster like REmake HD?

A lazy port is the best case scenario. I don't want modern SEGA to remake the game.

I still have faith AM2 would do it justice... If they are even still around :shock:
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:36 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:

Well they don't need to remake the game, just add a few new feauteres, like Capcom did with Resident Evil (like trophies and alternative controls).

I fear a lazy port would do more harm than good to Shenmue.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:02 am

KeiyaE315 wrote: Right, it's still SEGA and you shouldn't underestimate their denseness. But luckily there's also Sony, who made them release Yakuza 5 in western territories, and who might do something similar for Shenmue HD.

Wasn't Yakuza 5 digital only in the West? Still better than nothing, though. :)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:26 am

I don't know if it's likely or not, but I think it's crucial to the success of Shenmue3 and the rest of the series in the long run. I know that Suzuki said people could enjoy S3 without having played 1 and 2, but come on. What else was he supposed to say? Let's get real, if we want new fans to enjoy 3, we need 1 and 2 on the same console as well.

Three Blades has received 2 thanks from: elfshadowreaper, punkmanced
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:38 am

Three Blades wrote: I don't know if it's likely or not, but I think it's crucial to the success of Shenmue3 and the rest of the series in the long run. I know that Suzuki said people could enjoy S3 without having played 1 and 2, but come on. What else was he supposed to say? Let's get real, if we want new fans to enjoy 3, we need 1 and 2 on the same console as well.

This. Unbelievably, I've never played on Final Fantasy but I don't really want to jump in at VII so I'm starting from the original Android port. If I like the original, I'll work my way up.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:41 am

FF is not a continous story. You don't need to know 1 to play 8 or 10 or whatever.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III