Shenmue 3 physical release “unconfirmed”

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3 physical release “unconfirmed”

Postby Otacon_ahs » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:38 am

“Whether Shenmue 3 will be available for retail or not is currently unconfirmed,” Ys Net told us via email, in response to a query on the availability of the “Special Backer Edition” after the Kickstarter ends.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/16/shenmue ... confirmed/

Maybe we will see a push on Kickstarter. People wanting a physical copy?
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Re: Shenmue 3 physical release “unconfirmed”

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am

Otacon_ahs wrote: “Whether Shenmue 3 will be available for retail or not is currently unconfirmed,” Ys Net told us via email, in response to a query on the availability of the “Special Backer Edition” after the Kickstarter ends.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/16/shenmue ... confirmed/

Maybe we will see a push on Kickstarter. People wanting a physical copy?

Well I thought it would be pretty normal for the "backer only edition" never to go on sale in stores. But we will see. If there will be a "regular" physical version of the game, I'll buy that one too just to make my collection complete.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 am

i think they mean a physical ps4 version might never become available to buy in the stores, so people wanting that might want to secure it now before they lose their opportunity.

the 'backer edition' will never be available outside of kickstarter either way.

edit;

i was just thinking, if it does turn out that they don't release a ps4 physical copy outside of the kickstarter, those physical copies are going to be worth A LOT of money in the future.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:06 am

It's not guaranteed, of course, but I'd bet my left nut that there's going to be a regular physical edition, at least on PS4. It's too big of a game and just too big of a thing in general to not get one, I think.

No Man's Sky, another indy game that's being heavily pushed by Sony, is getting one. Same goes for Bloodstained and Mighty No. 9, which both were funded or partially funded via kickstarter. Then again, who knows. The digital market is on the rise with sales increasing every year. Shenmue III won't be out until late 2017 or early 2018, maybe even later with delays and stuff.. a missing physical edition might not be that much of a big deal anymore by then. We'll see. I'm not actually betting a nut on this of course.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ConanTheKing » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:24 am

I think it depends on the scope of the game which can only be determined in detail at the end of Kickstarter once all the funds are gathered. A bigger budget means a bigger game and of course most indies rarely get a physical release.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 am

I don't put much stock in these proclamations. People were insisting there'd be no PS4 physical because Awesome Japan messaged them telling them that. Yeah, they're not going to break news before it's meant to be broken.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: punkmanced
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Himuro » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:16 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: I don't put much stock in these proclamations. People were insisting there'd be no PS4 physical because Awesome Japan messaged them telling them that. Yeah, they're not going to break news before it's meant to be broken.

Making a ps4 physical reward tier and retail copies is completely different. Physical version reward is only that: a limited deal. Retail is different, and requires budget and could make the need to break even a hurdle. So they may not do it.

Also people, you may be getting it on ps4, but please stop pretending that the ps4 version is the only version of the game. If they have to make a retail ps4 version, that means they have to make a retail PC version. Do you realize how many resources this will strain?

Not saying it won't happen, but don't count on it, it may not happen. This is why I want both pc and ps4 backed versions.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Havel » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:27 am

omfg, omfg please dont say that, I will buy Shenmue 3 from the stores. It better be released physical
Havel
Banned
Banned

Postby punkmanced » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:48 am

Well, let’s just say that they’re still working everything out at the moment, hence the PR speak.
(The one and only thing they absolutely can’t afford to do at this stage is to make false promises.)

At the same time…Suzuki likes his wine…and a handful of crafty Dojo members are essentially going to wine and dine him in a few months…it’s an opportunity for a few straight answers, just sayin’ ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:38 pm

If they won't release a PS4 physical copy to retail stores im going to pledge another $60 with a different account so I can have 2 copies.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby rigo8582 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:50 pm

I think there will be a physical release. I can see the game launching first digitally and months or a year later they make a small run of physical copies. I think this what happened with Retro City Rampage and Shovel Knight.
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby johnvivant » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:17 pm

getting a couple of extra copies just in case is a pretty low risk, high reward investment for anyone interested.

if they end up being valuable it may prove useful in funding shenmue 4. ;-)
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DOS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:39 pm

They could release a Game of the Year edition or whatever they like to call it when Shenmue 4 comes around. I would buy the game again for both PS4 and PC.

Yu hear me!
DOS
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 3 trailer

Postby Dragon St. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 pm

Damn, I really want another physical copy just to be sure now. Is it possible to make another account with the same credit card? Or will I risk one of my pledges being cancelled?
Dragon St.

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:38 pm

It's still a long time until the game's release. They'll eventually put the game in stores for everyone to buy.
It would be really stupid if they didn't. Also "special backer edition" heavily implies that there has to be a regular edition. There just has to be one...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III