How Shenmue has been important to me for my entire life.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

How Shenmue has been important to me for my entire life.

Postby Jibby » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm a bit of a strange Shenmue fan. When the first game came out, I was only two years old. However my brother had a Dreamcast and Shenmue and I always watched him play it. A few years later, I too began to play the game, but being a very young child the most I ever did was buy toy capsules as I didn't even know that there was a story to progress (I also thought that Ryo's name was Shenmue :oops: )

Soon we got an Xbox and the faithful Dreamcast was put away but I never forgot the game where you buy drinks and toys. That eventually blossomed into my love for Shenmue. As I got older, I realised that there was much more too the game and that there was a deep story to be found. I started looking into the game more, reading about the characters and watching other people play it online. My understanding and love for the series kept growing until I pretty much knew the entire plot and almost every detail.

But when the Shenmue III Kickstarter was revealed, I realised that I never did revisit the game for myself. I never sat down with the intention of playing it on my own and taking in everything at my own pace. Tonight, despite being a huge fan of the game and franchise (which I know after reading this, some of you are going to debate), I finished Shenmue I on my own for the first time. It was completely different to watching a lets play. I feel that only now can I truly appreciate just how immersive the game is - something I didn't get from reading about the game or watching videos. It really feels as if I've rediscovered the game. It took me back to when I first started researching the plot properly. After doing such research I didn't think my love and passion for the franchise could grow any more, but I was very, very wrong and I realise now that whilst I thought the wait for III was a painful one, it was nothing compared to what a majority of you here were forced to endure. I got it easy.

So I want to thank the community for doing what they did to make Shenmue III a possibility. Whilst I'm a latecomer in loving the franchise (and an even later one for appreciating it fully) there's very little I wanted more than a third installment. I can only imagine how bad the people who have appreciated the game fully for 14 years wanted one. This is one of the most passionate fanbases I've ever seen and It's an honor to finally appreciate and hold the same passion.

I have a feeling that this is not the end of the road yet either. I still have Shenmue II to play. Maybe it will happen again.

Jibby has received 8 thanks from: mikec_ct, Mr357, nskachu, rome, Supa, Three Blades, Wude-Tang Clan, Yokosuka
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: How Shenmue has been important to me for my entire life.

Postby Supa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Wonderful story! From your post, it sounds as if you haven't played Shenmue II fully by yourself either? I'm so jealous! Would love to play through both games for the first time again..

Supa has received a thanks from: Jibby
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jibby » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Supa wrote: Wonderful story! From your post, it sounds as if you haven't played Shenmue II fully by yourself either? I'm so jealous! Would love to play through both games for the first time again..

Thank you!
No, I haven't complete Shenmue II yet. Currently in the process though :)
Catching the leafs was a huge pain and much harder than I thought it would be from videos. I'm also having a little trouble navigating through Hong Kong as it's much, much bigger than I thought, but it's all part of the experience! Right now I'm at the point where I need to find Ren. I can't wait to get to Kowloon as I think that's where the story really picks up, but I'm dreading Ghost Hall Building's planks :???:

I'm enjoying Shenmue II more than Shenmue I because unlike Shenmue I, I can't really remember the progression of the story which means that there are things that I didn't see coming like that really long and intense QTE session where we see Yuan for the first time.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby NeoShredder » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Jibby wrote:I'm enjoying Shenmue II more than Shenmue I because unlike Shenmue I, I can't really remember the progression of the story which means that there are things that I didn't see coming like that really long and intense QTE session where we see Yuan for the first time.

Mate.

Enjoy. :beerchug:
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Supa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 pm

So jealous! You're right, getting lost in Hong Kong is part of the experience. It's what anybody new to a big city wandering around by themselves would get likely get to experience!
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby rome » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:37 am

[-X
Jibby wrote: I'm a bit of a strange Shenmue fan. When the first game came out, I was only two years old. However my brother had a Dreamcast and Shenmue and I always watched him play it. A few years later, I too began to play the game, but being a very young child the most I ever did was buy toy capsules as I didn't even know that there was a story to progress (I also thought that Ryo's name was Shenmue :oops: )

Soon we got an Xbox and the faithful Dreamcast was put away but I never forgot the game where you buy drinks and toys. That eventually blossomed into my love for Shenmue. As I got older, I realised that there was much more too the game and that there was a deep story to be found. I started looking into the game more, reading about the characters and watching other people play it online. My understanding and love for the series kept growing until I pretty much knew the entire plot and almost every detail.

But when the Shenmue III Kickstarter was revealed, I realised that I never did revisit the game for myself. I never sat down with the intention of playing it on my own and taking in everything at my own pace. Tonight, despite being a huge fan of the game and franchise (which I know after reading this, some of you are going to debate), I finished Shenmue I on my own for the first time. It was completely different to watching a lets play. I feel that only now can I truly appreciate just how immersive the game is - something I didn't get from reading about the game or watching videos. It really feels as if I've rediscovered the game. It took me back to when I first started researching the plot properly. After doing such research I didn't think my love and passion for the franchise could grow any more, but I was very, very wrong and I realise now that whilst I thought the wait for III was a painful one, it was nothing compared to what a majority of you here were forced to endure. I got it easy.

So I want to thank the community for doing what they did to make Shenmue III a possibility. Whilst I'm a latecomer in loving the franchise (and an even later one for appreciating it fully) there's very little I wanted more than a third installment. I can only imagine how bad the people who have appreciated the game fully for 14 years wanted one. This is one of the most passionate fanbases I've ever seen and It's an honor to finally appreciate and hold the same passion.

I have a feeling that this is not the end of the road yet either. I still have Shenmue II to play. Maybe it will happen again.

A unique fan I'd say. Very cool story though, definitely a different take on growing up with Shenmue compared to others. You could watch someone play from start to finish, turn around and play it yourself, and it'd be a completely different experience.

Enjoy all Shenmue 2 has to offer, and take your time.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Jibby » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Thank you to those who have replied. I agree, Shenmue is not a game to be rushed and I'll definitely be taking in all that I can.
Shenmue II is already becoming the best game I have ever played. I don't really play games anymore as I find it hard to become immersed (the last game that I got really immersed in was Ace Attorney 5 which I completed a few months ago) but with Shenmue it's not been a problem whatsoever.

Supa wrote: So jealous! You're right, getting lost in Hong Kong is part of the experience. It's what anybody new to a big city wandering around by themselves would get likely get to experience!

This exactly! That's the sort of realism that I love about the franchise. I often find myself looking at the street maps of the quarters to find out where a certain building is and then try and memorise the route which is exactly what I'd do in real life when visiting an unfamiliar city.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mikec_ct » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:05 pm

You must be about the age now that I was when Shenmue I came out, and your story brought back memories of playing the game while my then four year old nephew watched.

He's now a college student and was thrilled when the Kickstarter was announced. This series transcends everything: age, location, whatever. It is truly timeless. Beyond my own desire to see the series through to its conclusion, I love that the Kickstarter has given younger people (or anyone who missed out the first time around) the chance to get swept up in the world of Shenmue.

mikec_ct has received a thanks from: Jibby
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue