Shenmue 3 In UK Games Magazines

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 In UK Games Magazines

Postby shenmue852 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:02 am

how the hell is either YsNet or Neilo, which has only made one PS Vita game, a "triple A studio" as that idiotic Games Master article claims?

they're not Naughty Dog, swimming in a river of Sony's cash.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: Dragon St.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:59 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: America was Nintendo's turf while the Megadrive/SEGA gained a huge following in europe. So it's predictable that most game journos in usa have no idea what the likes of Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, etc are.

The Genesis outsold the snes much of its life in America. It was Donkey Kong country that turned the tide. The Genesis was hugely popular in America. If you're going to make statements, you should use facts. Sega CD, 32x, and Dreamcast did poorly worldwide. Saturn had a huge Japanese audience though.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby drunkensailor » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:09 pm

well I think what he wanted to say was that america was very nintendo minded, when europe was completely not. in europa nintendo never had a marketshare above 15% compared to sega having almost all the rest. nintendo was basically not a factor. I've been to numerous countries in europe and when the chance always take up games for my collection and if you go to like uk, spain, italy or portugal I never found nintendo things from before n64 pretty much except gameboy. in us you can find tons of older nintendo things for nes and snes.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:26 pm

That's true. NES was a gaming monopoly. Genesis evened the playing field and was the most popular system for quite a while. 32x, CD, and Saturn fucked that good will though and practically every Sega fan I knew except the hardcore one switched to Playatation, including me. For that reason, I didn't get a Dreamcast until 2006, when I, yes, played Shenmue 1 and 2. I'm pretty positive I'm one of the only people here at the Dojo who didn't play the games when they first came out. Maybe even the only one. :lol:
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:34 pm

Better late than never! :)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Himuro wrote: That's true. NES was a gaming monopoly. Genesis evened the playing field and was the most popular system for quite a while. 32x, CD, and Saturn fucked that good will though and practically every Sega fan I knew except the hardcore one switched to Playatation, including me. For that reason, I didn't get a Dreamcast until 2006, when I, yes, played Shenmue 1 and 2. I'm pretty positive I'm one of the only people here at the Dojo who didn't play the games when they first came out. Maybe even the only one. :lol:

Don't worry, I didn't play Shenmue until November/December of 2010.

Speaking of the Saturn though, I truly think it may be SEGA's best console (although Dreamcast and Genesis are also pretty great) -- it's a shame though that it didn't get nearly as much support in the west as it did in Japan. If we are going off of Western releases alone, then the Saturn is definitely not my favorite SEGA console.

Thief has received a thanks from: Himuro
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:42 pm

Thief wrote:
Himuro wrote: That's true. NES was a gaming monopoly. Genesis evened the playing field and was the most popular system for quite a while. 32x, CD, and Saturn fucked that good will though and practically every Sega fan I knew except the hardcore one switched to Playatation, including me. For that reason, I didn't get a Dreamcast until 2006, when I, yes, played Shenmue 1 and 2. I'm pretty positive I'm one of the only people here at the Dojo who didn't play the games when they first came out. Maybe even the only one. :lol:

Don't worry, I didn't play Shenmue until November/December of 2010.

Speaking of the Saturn though, I truly think it may be SEGA's best console (although Dreamcast and Genesis are also pretty great) -- it's a shame though that it didn't get nearly as much support in the west as it did in Japan. If we are going off of Western releases alone, then the Saturn is definitely not my favorite SEGA console.

Saturn's JP releases are fucking money.

How'd you get into Shenmue, Thief?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:44 pm

Tour of French magazines

Playstation official
Shenmue 3 ranked as 6th best surprise of the E3 (FF7r was 5th and Horizon 1st)
"However, this impulse of generosity from frenetic fans raises questions about ethics, the feasibility and the interest of the kickstarter."
"If it keep its old mechanics, will Shenmue seduce again ?"

JeuxVidéo Magazine
"It's certainly the most anticipated sequel of gaming history (with Half-Life 3)."
"already offered a huge freedom of action and a daily real time system."

Jeux Video News
"The Return of the King"
"Legendary franchise of adventure gaming and initiation into life"

Video Gamer
four pages article title : "The past, a safe bet"
Shenmue paragraph title : "Concretize a dream"
"Shenmue is unknown from most of the young players. And his main gameplay invention, the famous QTE, has been so much recycled that we wonder if there is still an audience [...]"

Canard PC (the older gaming mag in France, very appreciated for its quality and its cynical humour)
article title "And what about the consoles ? Cripple Fight (pc conference included)"
"Yu Suzuki and Sony made themselves look like the biggest beggars of the E3 and have created a staggering precedent."
"Sony has claimed [...] the kickstarter was there just for "measure the gamers interest". Well yes, why making polls and expensive market studies when you can manipulate a hardcore fanbase ?"

The Game (known for its good looking layout)
Yu retrospective made by Regis Monterrin (probably the best French journalist about Sega and Yu Suzuki's stuff, I'm glad he got a place in a paper magazine)
+
article from a consultant and university professor in marketing, communication and video games, written from the fact that Sony will mainly fund the game.
title : "Shenmue III the error"
conclusion : "My best wishes for this romantic project, driven by passionnate and in love people. But it's hard to be rational when you evoke a childhood sweetheart that belongs to a distant past. Shenmue, it's this."

In addition, almost all the French magazines have used the shot showing the E3 stage with Shenmue 3 on screens to illustrate their E3 review.

From what the reactions I read across the globe, It's funny to see that Shenhua has become somehow iconic even for people who never played Shenmue.

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Thief » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:52 pm

I just finished playing through Shenmue and Shenmue 2 and it was quite the experience. I cannot remember the last time I was that in to a game. Normally when I play through games I'll take breaks and hang out with friends and what not but that was not the case with Shenmue. People would call me and ask to hang out and I would respond, "I'd love to hang out but... I'd much rather play Shenmue... sorry *click*". Now that I've finished the game I've climbed out of my hole and have begun to run around telling all my friends how great it is. Of course, as soon as I tell them it's on the Dreamcast/Xbox they dismiss it as obsolete... bah ><. Since when are those consoles old? Anyways, I feel so alive.. and from a video game to boot... it's weird. I really want to go to Guilin!

I had one question though. Shenmue 1 is chapter 1 in the story, that makes sense to me. However, how is Shenmue 2 chapters 3 through 6? What happened to chapter 2? From what I gathered Yokosuka was chapter 1, Wan Chai/Aberdeen was chapter 2, Kowloon was chapter 3, and Guilin was chapter 4. While I don't question in the slightest that this sites information is correct in the chapters numbering, I am however curious as to why it's numbered the way it is. Anyways, I'm rambling, and tired. Great games... and oddly I really want to play them again... right now...

That's my first ever post on the Dojo back in 2010 :lol:
Kind of hilarious to look back at that.

I actually got into Shenmue on a whim. My brother was the type to buy a lot of games and then never play them. I however, never bought anything and played all his games. It was a pretty great deal for me, now that I think about it. He had bought Shenmue forever ago and it had just been on his shelf. One day I decided to play it and the rest was history.

It's funny, I distinctly remember taking Shenmue 1 after I had beaten it and I went up to my brother and said "This is mine now. You can't have it. I need it." and he let me have it. He didn't own the second game so I had to order that off the internet. The week long wait was torture. :P

Thief has received a thanks from: Himuro
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:08 pm

lol Thief, I'm continuing this thread over here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48813

I posted my story there so this thread isn't more off topic and the mods don't have to get mad. :)
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Himuro wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: America was Nintendo's turf while the Megadrive/SEGA gained a huge following in europe. So it's predictable that most game journos in usa have no idea what the likes of Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, etc are.

The Genesis outsold the snes much of its life in America. It was Donkey Kong country that turned the tide. The Genesis was hugely popular in America. If you're going to make statements, you should use facts. Sega CD, 32x, and Dreamcast did poorly worldwide. Saturn had a huge Japanese audience though.

Never said Genesis wasn't popular in america, I simply stated how Nintendo as a brand has always been more popular than SEGA in america hence why their secondary franchises like Zelda, F-Zero, StarFox, etc. are more well known than SEGA's ones.

The numbers of consoles sold is mostly irrelevant to my point. PS4 owns like 50% of the market but if the new Zelda were to be released tomorrow, it would easily outsell any PS4 exclusive to date even with WiiU basically being a dead console.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:52 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Never said Genesis wasn't popular in america, I simply stated how Nintendo's as a brand has always been more popular than SEGA hence their secondary franchises like Zelda, F-Zero, StarFox, etc. are more well known than SEGA's ones.

The numbers of consoles sold is mostly irrelevant to my point. PS4 owns like 50% of the market but if the new Zelda were to be released tomorrow, it would easily outsell any PS4 exclusive to date even with WiiU basically a dead console.

The Master System also had a very strong presence in Europe. Most American gamers who owned a Genesis never even knew that it existed.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:57 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
The numbers of consoles sold is mostly irrelevant to my point. PS4 owns like 50% of the market but if the new Zelda were to be released tomorrow, it would easily outsell any PS4 exclusive to date even with WiiU basically being a dead console.

There are so few games on this machine, I'm not sure if it's a point.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby James Brown » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 am

Just wanted to thank Yokosuka for those french scans! I can't read any of it, but they seem to be proud of the fact that possibly a good chunk of the project feels french if not only for Cedric and his company being involved and the co-producer!

Awesome stuff, especially that Yu Suzuki timeline scan :) thanks!

James Brown has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue III