Keep Friends

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Keep Friends

Postby OL » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Okay, I don't know why this bites at me so hard, but it's irritating every time I see it: why does no one ever quote the full spoken line?
I've seen it show up in peoples' sigs by itself over and over, like it's some kind of series catchphrase:
"Keep friends."
What does that even mean by itself? Not a goddamn thing. It's the first two words in a sentence. A sentence which, without quoting the full line, could have several different messages.
"Keep friends... in line with a good slap."
"Keep friends... away from your mom."
"Keep friends... sexually satisfied."
"Keep Friends... in a constant series of reruns, because that show is always entertaining."
And then I go to the kickstarter page for the first time in a while, and they put this up:

An official page for the game, and a.) they couldn't even get the quote right, and b.) it still doesn't make any damn sense. It might even make less sense, considering the overexcited double-exclamation marks punctuating it. These are the parting words of a dying man gasping for breath, not an enthusiastic party time battle cry.
So for the record, the line is:

"Keep friends -- those you love -- close to you."

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and it comes off as an incredibly obvious little nugget of non-wisdom to begin with (not sure why it ever really caught on).
But if you're gonna use it, at least get it right, ya mooks.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Keep Friends

Postby Ceej » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:22 pm

I know what you mean...that line is ingrained into my head...mostly because I've seen that opening sequence 3 billion times.

I'm not even going to get into the graphic because I know that was Awesome Japan's work and enough has already been said about them really.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 pm

hmm?!
obviously we have a joker with a sense of TUMOR! :mrgreen:
they say a smile, or a gut-busting :rotflmao: can be a contribution.
in that regard, this passes a1+ infinity! 8)
on the flipside, a difference in languages, understandings and dialects can be the difference between love and war.
who knows?
perhaps the misunderstanding lies elsewhere?
tbh, went over my head, saw no fault...(or i'm missing the joke, probably that?!)
:-k
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Mystere » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:44 pm

"Keep friends" is irritating but "Keep those you love!!" appeared in the Kickstarter's final hours, to (presumably) be taken as "Donate to see the game / characters you love".

Apt paraphrase > abbreviation. Then again it was AJ so who knows?
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 pm

It was spoken with Iwao's last few breaths, so that is most likely why it came out the way it did.

"Keep (your) friends (and) those you love, close to you".
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:59 pm

I don't find it to be non-wisdom. I think we take our friends and people who care about for granted. Ryo certainly does in I as he alienates all of them.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Axm
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:02 am

Fixing "Awful Japan's" work yet AGAIN...Tell me about it OL! :roll: #-o

NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:05 am

@ Himuro. interesting?! ;-)
smart man.
in the sense, he's got a lob-on for lan-di, and the responsible thing WOULD be to tackle his issues ALONE!
kinda reduces COLLATERAL DAMAGE. (a real friend keeps their vengeance and their friends separate, they simply don't mix. very responsible thing to do.
'before embarking on a quest for revenge, dig two graves.' unknown)
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:05 am

Himuro wrote: I don't find it to be non-wisdom. I think we take our friends and people who care about for granted. Ryo certainly does in I as he alienates all of them.

Eh, sure, it's not stupid advice, but my point is more that it's still kind of an obvious, not-exactly-spectacular line of dialogue. It's akin to "brush your teeth after every meal." Not everyone follows that advice, but it's still a really basic thing to say, and hardly fitting at all of being one of the most-quoted, most-remembered lines in a game.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby punkmanced » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:20 am

OL wrote:
Himuro wrote: I don't find it to be non-wisdom. I think we take our friends and people who care about for granted. Ryo certainly does in I as he alienates all of them.

Eh, sure, it's not stupid advice, but my point is more that it's still kind of an obvious, not-exactly-spectacular line of dialogue. It's akin to "brush your teeth after every meal." Not everyone follows that advice, but it's still a really basic thing to say, and hardly fitting at all of being one of the most-quoted, most-remembered lines in a game.

Well, sure, outside of the Shenmue world, the line sounds like basic, straightforward etiquette; within the context of the game, however, it takes on a much darker meaning: that of a dying man's warning.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: Axm
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:54 am

I think it's a nice line. As for why people say just "Keep Friends", well in the context of talking about Shenmue, it's a nice shortening/symbol for the larger quote. I think "Keep Friends" has just about the same meaning as the full line. "Keep (your) friends" -- if you heard that, out of context, I doubt many people would assume there was anything to come next. In has meaning on its own, without the need of anything further. In fact, the actual quote is just a tad bit redundant.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:07 am

OL wrote:

I think the full conversation he has with Ryo about it in the flashback is much more powerful. It's all about context. I don't think the line in the opening is meant to be impactful for the viewers, more just a kind of foreshadowing.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:14 am

It does sound stupid and the quote kind alienates people outside the hardcore fan base. Though I believe it caught on because it was a really memorable key scene in the first game, and it could actually carry deeper undertones than what it appears. Iwao might have actual life regrets by not following that statement (his whole ordeal with Lan Di even being a consequence of this) and on foreshadowing his son to follow his footsteps eventually, Iwao uttered those words to Ryo as a warning to not repeat the same mistakes.

Of course this is my own romantic wish thinking. The reality might as well be that Ryo suffers from Asperger (by the way he talks to NPCs sometimes) and Iwao has to literally remind him of stuff that is usually common sense to other people.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:30 am

sand4fish wrote:It does sound stupid and the quote kind alienates people outside the hardcore fan base. Though I believe it caught on because it was a really memorable key scene in the first game, and it could actually carry deeper undertones than what it appears. Iwao might have actual life regrets by not following that statement (his whole ordeal with Lan Di even being a consequence of this) and on foreshadowing his son to follow his footsteps eventually, Iwao uttered those words to Ryo as a warning to not repeat the same mistakes.

Of course this is my own romantic wish thinking. The reality might as well be that Ryo suffers from Asperger (by the way he talks to NPCs sometimes) and Iwao has to literally remind him of stuff that is usually common sense to other people.
^^ :| :arrow: :-k :arrow: :oops: :arrow: :rotflmao:
i'm starting to like this place! :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:13 am

Honestly, I'm fine with the image. Looking neoshredder's version, you'll see how crowded it is. Honestly, they should have opted for a wide header like Bloodstained. That way, they wouldn't have been so confined to such a small image.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III