People should lie to you

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

People should lie to you

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:58 am

I think that Shenmue 1 and 2 were missing something very crucial in making it much more diverse. People never lied to you and always told you the right direction to travel, and always told the truth. Hopefully in Shenmue 3, people can lie to us meaning that every NPC would be different and it would be much more challenging to complete the game.

Shibiryo has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, Mr357
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Re: People should lie to you

Postby johnvivant » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:11 am

just ignoring you is the more common response from strangers, since why would they care about helping you? to lie implies they have some sort of interest, motive, or sadistic pleasure in seeing you fail.

npcs making genuine mistakes would be more interesting.

charlie lies in that he fails to keep his promise of meeting you outside the Yu arcade.

i think i know what you mean though. there should be more regular npcs which are also your enemies, not just thugs in battle but also surprise enemies who give false information, and later you find out their motives.
Last edited by johnvivant on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnvivant has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Mr357
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:15 am

johnvivant wrote: just ignoring you is the more common response from strangers, since why would they care about helping you? to lie implies they have some sort of interest, motive, or sadistic pleasure in seeing you fail.

npcs making genuine mistakes would be more interesting.

charlie lies in that he fails to keep his promise of meeting you outside the Yu arcade.

^this

To OP: Isn't telling you to piss off, enough lol. Seriously people are much more likely to just not help you or whatnot, then to lie to you.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:19 am

There was already something similar in Shenmue II with the talking Birds floor moved up to the roof. Or more classically, the Lishao Tao quest and the Wharehouse number 8. So if the purpose is to make the game more realistic or less linear, I don't think we should worry.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Amir » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:18 pm

I want another NPC who nods off while you try to talk to him, like Pigeon Man in Shenmue II.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Amir wrote: I want another NPC who nods off while you try to talk to him, like Pigeon Man in Shenmue II.

Yeah this was proper funny. The guy was so out he was asking Ryo if he wanted pigeon food.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby south carmain » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:24 pm

johnvivant wrote: just ignoring you is the more common response from strangers, since why would they care about helping you? to lie implies they have some sort of interest, motive, or sadistic pleasure in seeing you fail.

When I was a teenager me and my friends would often give wrong directions to people just to be dicks.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shenmue852 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:39 pm

maybe there should be a character called M'aiq
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby kuwakodono » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:04 pm

I specifically remember when traveling in Uganda and India, people would sometimes give the wrong information if you asked them for directions. The reasoning, I suspect, is that they didn't want to appear stupid and therefore decided to give some information, even if they weren't sure about it. It could definitely make the game confusing if random NPCs starting doing that.
kuwakodono
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby NeoShredder » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:28 pm

The shenmue story has plenty of examples of lying/deception. As for Npcs making mistakes etc? While I don't think every npc has to be as polite as they have been (yokosuka was a small town though), I don't think an outright mistake would be very good for gameplay unless it was related to the story.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Himuro » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Why would you lie to a stranger other than it being a funny joke? Most times, people ignore strangers, and if not that, tell them to piss off. Both things happen in both Shenmue games.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Himuro wrote: Why would you lie to a stranger other than it being a funny joke? Most times, people ignore strangers, and if not that, tell them to piss off. Both things happen in both Shenmue games.

Pretty much this. The only time an NPC lying to you would be ok and make sense to me, is if someone lies asking for help to lead you to a trap to be robbed, as it happened before.

Now NPCs lying out of nowhere seems a bit strange. People just don't go around doing that.
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:20 am

I think making most NPCs be more Shenmue 1 and say something like "Dude, I'm busy now. Catch me later, OK?" or "I'm not from around here too. Ask one of the locals." would be a more realistic approach. This is what happens a lot in real life when asking people for directions.

People do give you wrong directions in real life too, but I think mostly it's because they got it wrong, not because they intended to do so.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:34 am

Didn't this kinda already happen with the Chawan Sign where you're told to go to Man Mo Park and it ends up being a trap by Dou Niu's guys? And like others have mentioned, Charlie was lying too. So did Ren, many, many times. So did the sailors. And the Mad Angels. So did Jimmy at Asia Travel Agency. So yeah, there's been a lot of liars in the series already, wouldn't be surprised if there's more traps in 3 waiting for Ryo and his compadres.

For story purposes I'm fine with it, but it'd be really annoying if NPC people lied to you and you kept going to the wrong place. It would just be frustrating rather than anything else.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:18 pm

It would be nice if there was a system like in LA Noire where you had to determine if someone was lying or withholding information by their facial expressions and body language. I loved the crap out of that, it was so realistic. People had different personalities so there was no universal tell. Like the used car salesman being a hard read but a worried pregnant wife gave things away super easily. If Shenmue III copied that system, I would cream my pants.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III