The Last of Us 2 accidentally confirmed

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

The Last of Us 2 accidentally confirmed

Postby Monkei » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:47 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ifsHGORFTE0&feature=youtu.be

Love how he's stumbling :lol:

And: Hell f*cking yes!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: The Last of Us 2 accidentally confirmed

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:12 am

Not that much of a confirmation there but its kinda assumed already they will make a second.. I mean if they didnt then thats a Shenmue level cliff hanger there.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:43 am

Well yes, the guy's reaction pretty much confirms that they're working on a second Last of Us game. It's not an actual, official confirmation of course, but a (n accidental) confirmation nonetheless.

I don't really agree about the cliffhanger, it always felt like a legit ending to me. I could see them doing more Joel and Ellie stuff, but I don't think it's necessary and I'd also be fine with all new characters.

Monkei has received a thanks from: OL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:56 am

Yeah, have to agree, I didn't take the original game's ending as a cliffhanger at all. I thought it was a perfect wrap-up to everything, actually. Maybe the game's world hadn't been given any closure, but it took its characters across a pretty wide, satisfying arc, and I think it ended at just the right place to leave maximum impact.
On that note, yeah, I kind of hope it's about new characters; I think Joel and Ellie's story was wrapped up beautifully enough that a sequel with them would just step on some toes. But hey, Naughty Dog is good at what they do, so maybe they'd have a way to do it without screwing things up. Time will tell I guess.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:18 am

Yep, completely agree. It sounded like, and had the feel of a completely stand alone game. Beginning, middle and end. I felt very satisfied with the conclusion. I am wondering if people want a sequel based on this, which would defeat the purpose because they would really be looking for another standalone story with the same fantasy and emotion generated from it. If you want a sequel because of the characters story, well it was pretty much concluded in the first game.

If there is more story to be told then I am all for it. But that need to justify the making of the game. If it's just a case of cashing in on a new franchise, well that's just another day at the office for the gaming industry, and one I wouldn't pay money for.

Peter has received a thanks from: Monkei
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:04 pm

This is one of those times when I really really don't want a sequel. I'd easily class the first game in my top 10 of all time.

Yet I have so much faith in Naughty Dog at this point I know that the first trailer or gameplay we see of the sequel will have me on board.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 pm

I hope the sequel has less annoying Ellen Page clones running around spouting insipid one-liners and less gruffy "oh woes iz meees" leads with incredibly questionable morals.

In fact, just keep the game the way it is and don't bring back Joel and Ellie. Then the sequel will be automatically better.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:27 pm

^^Still don't understand the hate. Ellie was easily among the least annoying child characters I've ever seen in a game, and I'm really not sure why Joel's moral fiber would make the game less compelling (nor do I see how he qualifies as a "woe is me" kind of character; he never brings his problems up with anyone or wallows in it, he just acts like a hardass. Hardly Hot Topic kid behavior).
If anything it made it more compelling to me, because he wasn't the same old do-gooder hero you come to expect with these things; his decision at the end resonated with me because
it wasn't the predictable "save the many by sacrificing one" bullshit that so many other stories spout. If anything, I completely agreed with his choice. I easily hold my personal relationships higher than any concern I might have for people I don't know. If it came down to it, yeah, I'd save someone I genuinely cared about long before I'd give them up for the "good of the world." A case like that, I'd say fuck the world, and I'm glad he felt the same way.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:06 am

^ 100% agreed.

I'd even say Ellie is one of the most well-written and likable videogame characters you can find. Both of them are great. I also wouldn't categorize Ellie as an Ellen Page wannabe character at all. I know she was apparently modelled after her, but she never really made me think of her while playing, she doesn't really look like her or act like one of her typical roles IMO. Reminded me of Chloe Grace Moretz, if anything.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:01 am

I did enjoy the first last of us... never finished it though. :/

Would be nice if there was a PC version.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:18 am

Mr. Frozen wrote: I did enjoy the first last of us... never finished it though. :/

Did you say the first Last of Us?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby redline » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:54 am

does the game need a sequal?

i thought it was an awesome game, mainly because i had no idea what i was getting myself in to but these game creators can easily f-up when they start chasing the $/£ - look at assassins creed..
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:22 pm

OL wrote: ^^Still don't understand the hate. Ellie was easily among the least annoying child characters I've ever seen in a game, and I'm really not sure why Joel's moral fiber would make the game less compelling (nor do I see how he qualifies as a "woe is me" kind of character; he never brings his problems up with anyone or wallows in it, he just acts like a hardass. Hardly Hot Topic kid behavior).
If anything it made it more compelling to me, because he wasn't the same old do-gooder hero you come to expect with these things; his decision at the end resonated with me because
it wasn't the predictable "save the many by sacrificing one" bullshit that so many other stories spout. If anything, I completely agreed with his choice. I easily hold my personal relationships higher than any concern I might have for people I don't know. If it came down to it, yeah, I'd save someone I genuinely cared about long before I'd give them up for the "good of the world." A case like that, I'd say fuck the world, and I'm glad he felt the same way.

I didn't find her likable at all. She was like Juno in a post-apocalypse environment but somehow less charming. Joel had a great introduction but then became a rambling unlikable bastard. I didn't find any charm to any of these characters unless you were supposed to like the fact they're unlikable. Which to me didn't work out cause even anti-heroes are likable and interesting to some extent.

Can't say I was a big fan of how the whole story played out anyway minus the whole thing with:

Ellie and the fact she had to be dissected to get the cure. You can argue that with Joel giving a big fuck you to the world by selfishly keeping Ellie for himself is a great device because it asks for a great emotional response from the viewer, as opposed to me not giving a fuck. Fine and dandy, but to me it made an unlikable character even worse.

If i'm supposed to hate him by the end, good job. They did that part well. Now I hope he dies a grizzly death in the sequel and we make it off with a new set of characters who have some semblance of a relatable personality.

The game itself, while really hard, is good though. I'd play another Last of Us as long as it plays like the original.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Kenny wrote:I didn't find any charm to any of these characters unless you were supposed to like the fact they're unlikable. Which to me didn't work out cause even anti-heroes are likable and interesting to some extent.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I think that's the part that gets me: that whole concept of "likability." Kind of a liquid term I guess, since it can apply in various ways, but I have to wonder: is it just the fact that it's a videogame, and you actually have to play as characters you don't like? Or is it simply the fact that these characters are portrayed the way they are within the story, and that, in itself, turns you off from it?
What I mean is that you've no doubt seen a trillion and one movies in your lifetime; does the presence of "unlikable" characters always hurt the viewing experience? Like... Heat, for example. Great movie, totally unlikable characters. But despite them pretty much all being massive a-holes, it's still a compelling story to ride through. Same could be said for a huge number of well-regarded classics, like Bad Lieutenant or Taxi Driver or... well, most crime flicks I guess.
So if The Last of Us was a movie instead of a videogame (and thus didn't force to you control characters you don't like), would the story still be such a turnoff? Or would the removal of interactivity make it more compelling, as in the case of all these classic movies with d-bag characters?

Just kind of an interest of mine. Perspective and all that.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:49 pm

The latter, mostly. Omg, if this was a movie I'd probably hate it more.

Even though I don't like Heat and Bad Lieutenant was just random shit with Nick Cage, at least those aforementioned examples are interesting case studies of people.

Obviously I'm in the minority in this, but I just didn't like these characters. I like characters when they're fun and empathetic, not obnoxious and callus. I also wasn't engaged with most of the story either. I barely remember anything except maybe two scenes that weren't the ending. Probably had something to do with the fact the main baddies were zombies with warts all over them, didn't really dig that.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming