Nocon Kid visits Dobuits St. in Yokosuka (Facebook Photos)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Nocon Kid visits Dobuits St. in Yokosuka (Facebook Photos)

Postby Ziming » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Shenmue 3 CG artist Nocon Kid shares photos of his visit to Dobuita!
Photo Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/0jFiU

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Nocon Kid visits Dobuits St. in Yokosuka (Facebook Photo

Postby Switch » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Reconnaissance for the flashback movie, perhaps?

His photos of Dobuita St really evoke Shenmue.

Switch has received 2 thanks from: PacemaŜinobo, Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby code l name » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:43 am

Ziming wrote: Shenmue 3 CG artist Nocon Kid shares photos of his visit to Dobuita!
Photo Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/0jFiU

Thank you.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:33 am

Interesting.

Private trip, or... research?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:41 am

Spaghetti wrote: Interesting.

Private trip, or... research?

Understood the question.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:03 am

Switch wrote: Reconnaissance for the flashback movie, perhaps?

His photos of Dobuita St really evoke Shenmue.

Nocon Kid taking charge of flashback movies would make a lot of sense :
1) He has proven to understand very well the original Shenmue artistic feeling. No need to communicate a lot with him. He has just to replicate existing things rather than create something new as a professional artist.
2) He has not to deal with spoilers this way, huge advantage for the fan he is.
3) If he fails in some way, that would not be really important as it's just short flashbacks.
4) The quality/artistic gap between his own style for flashbacks and the YSnet's professional style for the contemporary story will be naturally accepted by the players.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby PacemaŜinobo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:48 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Nocon Kid taking charge of flashback movies would make a lot of sense :
1) He has proven to understand very well the original Shenmue artistic feeling. No need to communicate a lot with him. He has just to replicate existing things rather than create something new as a professional artist.
2) He has not to deal with spoilers this way, huge advantage for the fan he is.
3) If he fails in some way, that would not be really important as it's just short flashbacks.
4) The quality/artistic gap between his own style for flashbacks and the YSnet's professional style for the contemporary story will be naturally accepted by the players.

Given his talent, I really hope he'll do more than just flashback cutscenes. That would be such a waste.

I'm sure as a fan, fulfilling his dream of working with Yu on Shenmue 3 outweighs the inconvenience of having the story spoiled for him.
PacemaŜinobo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:34 pm

I don't know how much time modelizing accurate environnements like the Shenmue take so it's difficult to answer. I still think it's going to be a lot of work considering Yu said nostalgia will play an important role in Shenmue 3.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby johnvivant » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:52 pm

imo Nocon Kid could be as important to the success of shenmue 3 as Yu Suzuki himself. nocon has 6+ years (i think) unreal engine experience, is a huge talent - especially in environmental artistry, and he also has a deep appreciation and understanding of Shenmue - a deep understanding of what makes it great. undoubtedly everyone at Ys Net is important, but i really believe that Nocon is a HUGE positive addition.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:17 am

johnvivant wrote: imo Nocon Kid could be as important to the success of shenmue 3 as Yu Suzuki himself. nocon has 6+ years (i think) unreal engine experience, is a huge talent - especially in environmental artistry, and he also has a deep appreciation and understanding of Shenmue - a deep understanding of what makes it great. undoubtedly everyone at Ys Net is important, but i really believe that Nocon is a HUGE positive addition.

He's definitely important, and a smart hire on Yu's part.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dragon Light » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:07 pm

OMG It's real I thought it was made up.
Dragon Light
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Yokosuka wrote:4) The quality/artistic gap between his own style for flashbacks and the YSnet's professional style for the contemporary story will be naturally accepted by the players.

I wouls assume that Noconkids quality is the standard at least Suzuki is aiming for. I think from the Chinese pics it shows they will be similar.

fittersau has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:01 am

Had to pop in just to say:

It boggles my mind how evocative those locations are - still! - of the game. If you quint your eyes, a few of them could easily pass for screenshots! The sheer reality of the game, to this day, is just unparalleled if you ask me. At least outside of literal simulation projects that seek to recreate, say, real world race tracks complete with graffiti and the like. What they achieved, when they achieved it... remarkable. Still flabbergasting all these years later.

Great photos, too! Nokon Kid has a beautiful eye.

That is all. :P Oh and, if you celebrate it, happy Thanksgiving. ^_^

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Just rereading this topic lying in bed, as I do so every night, and a few people have mentioned that he was there for research for possible flashback sequences, or a movie etc....

But can I suggest going a bit further? Just wanted to throw out the idea of how about the possibility that the Kid is part of a sub team at YS, who is separately revamping Shenmue and Shenmue 2 in Unreal? We know of past issues of Sega outsourcing a HD remake to a studio, but certain issues have been in the way. Well, since there has been a lot of recent secrecy about how much staff are working on Shenmue 3 etc, but in terms of the point we are in the development, is there an argument that for the next year perhaps, that there is a smaller team actually working on remasters from within YS.net, rather than going to another studio? Could it be that there was more than just "good faith" on the part of Sega to give the rights for Yu to produce Shenmue III, and that there is a business model in play here that the studio can also offer their own reworking of the first 2 games and release them, to maximise sales of Shenmue 3?

It's just I am rationalising ideas outside of the norm, for Kid to go to Doubuita Street, outside of just the fact that he's a Shenmue fan and wanted to walk down that street (which I myself look forward to doing, as a Shenmue fan in 2016). Could this have been an actual research trip, but not for Shenmue 3, but for in house remasters?

Just a thought....
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:58 am

If an agreement was in place with Sega to produce HD remakes of 1&2, would they not have held back on crowdfunding 3 to see how those sold first? It would be a lot easier to get investment for a sequel to games that were recently re-released.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to Shenmue III