Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revamp

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:27 pm

This was trending all day on Facebook. My wife asked how I voted earlier today and I had no idea how she knew about this "controversy."
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Kiske » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:09 pm

If it's any consolation, I bet my physical PS4 copy of Shenmue 3 that we would have endured the same bashing from the same clickbaits medias who are spreading false news now, if AJ/YsNet decided to make the exclusive rewards available for slacker backer campaign.

I almost see the article title: "Greedy Yu Suzuki breaks rewards exclusivity for a few more bucks despite 25% of the voters were clearly against this!"

I'm wondering... where are the professional journalists? Where are the honest articles ready to restore the truth about a bad communication ok, but definitely an attempt of "Awesome Japan" to do the right thing?

The bashing has been so harsh since E3 announcement that sometimes I have the feeling it's fuelled by interests bigger than our small but beloved Shenmue franchise. Maybe it wouldn't be so biased if Shenmue 3 was multiplatform... If you know what I mean?

Kiske has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Good to see the excellent Spaghetti's thread being frequently retweeted ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167066 ) and making the fans work a lot easier. Some media are also doing a pretty fair coverage like PC Gamer who always proved a minimum of professionalism since I follow them.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:46 pm

There is certainly an amount of Xbox vs PlayStation bitterness coming our way but its mostly people that don't have any idea what's Shenmue or who's Yu Suzuki, talking out of their ass.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Alright then, the Oculus Rift pre-orders have gone live. Crucially, it seems that the price to buy a Oculus Rift is $599 USD; much higher than the $200-400 estimate that Palmer Lucky was talking about last year. Already I've seen several of the clickbait websites foaming at the mouth at this news, ready to condemn the Oculus Rift and proclaim the end of VR.

An unfortunate development for Facebook; an opportunity for Sony and HTC, if they can offer their VR devices at a lower price-point. More immediately crucial for the Shenmue fanbase, this new target of hatred could well draw attention away from Shenmue 3. At this point only time will tell if Shenmue 3 will avoid any further slander.

Kintor has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:22 pm

That moment when you manage to make a video gaming website (Gamelove.com, a French one) to delete completely their article. :lol:

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Switch
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Anonymous81 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:49 pm

I've been offline due to being sick and haven't been able to follow events as closely as I ordinarily would.

However I must say... I'm disappointed in those who voted against the rewards being unlocked for everyone. I understand and respect their reasons, and I'm not going to denigrate them for it. Not going to say they're bad or selfish people or "not real fans" or any of that imo nonsense.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. That's all. Just disappointed. I'm entitled to say that much.

On the other hand, I do see the argument/point that it could have invited more undue libelous mud raking against Shenmue 3 and its creators. So yes, I can see that, and take some consolation from it. And if I believed that was why people voted against it, I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am. But I don't really believe that. For some maybe, but not all, or even most. Just my opinion.

So yeah. Disappointed.

Moving on... the PayPal extension is a wonderful thing. As is the new clip, the site redesign, and everything else we're seeing and hearing. Onward into 2016! Shenmue 3 is real and that's never going to stop being an amazing realization.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Reprise » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:04 am

Giorgio wrote: I found the following in the comments of the Kickstarter page:

Ghost of Tom 'Skairkroh' Bule about 10 hours ago

Response from YsNet/Awesome Japan regarding the poll:
Hello Tom,
Thank you very much for your message. We understand that there is a lot of disappointment among fans who wanted the Kickstarter exclusives to be made available.
Since the launch of the Paypal campaign we have received numerous requests to remove exclusivity from certain Kickstarter rewards and make them available for the Slacker Backer campaign as well.
We held the poll as a method to gain more accurate insight on backer opinions concerning this matter since we could not be sure that the requests we received represented the opinion of the vast majority of the backers.
The poll was intended to gauge whether the backers felt that an exception could be made considering that the promise of exclusivity was already established. We felt that upholding this promise should be our foremost consideration.
The majority of respondents did not feel strongly enough about exclusivity to vote either yes or no. While the votes in favor of removing exclusivity marginally outnumbered those against, they did not represent a majority opinion in the poll.
The poll numbers do show that there are also many backers who do not wish to give up their exclusive rewards.
We feel that the logical conclusion to these results is to leave exclusivity as it is because there was not enough support to justify making an exception to go back on our original promise.
We are very happy that so many people responded and we hope we can continue to count on the support of the community.
Sincerely,
Oscar & the Shenmue 3 Team

It seems AJ is capable to reply one-on-one but inept of publicly explain their reasonings?

There response is quite honestly fair enough... The "outcry" and "controversy" is pretty shameful.

You just know that if YsNet had chosen to give the KS exclusive rewards to Slacker Backers that the gaming media would be running headlines like:

"Shenmue 3 Developers Breach Contract and Break Promise to Kickstarter Backers"
"Despite Being Promised EXCLUSIVE Rewards, Shenmue 3 Developers will screw KS Backers For More Money"

Reprise has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:45 am

Honestly, I don't think it would have been as bad if the decision went the other way. I really don't think the outcry from the minority who said no would be loud enough to be heard by the gaming press, nor do I think we would have had the big misunderstanding/headless chicken effect of people thinking they were losing their backer rewards.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Reprise » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:13 am

Maybe. The alleged controversy is still kinda bullshit though. 'Slacker Backer' campaigns rarely offer the same rewards that were offered on the Kickstarter. They are normally more basic.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:35 am

Yeah. I'm not 100% but I think Thimbleweed Park are offering different slacker backer rewards compared to Kickstarter. It's not like there's not already a precedent that slacker backers get less rewards options than initial KS backers.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:46 am

Call it ironic, but Paypal actually has exclusives of its own, including both the Crystal Sculpture and replica jacket on their own at a reduced price. Anyone who is already getting the physical rewards below that, can spend less and not have duplicates of items they already are entitled to receive.

Peter has received a thanks from: Reprise
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ShenSun » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:51 am

Sorry, but that AJ post is a generic response. I got the exact same message when asking how they would handle the media outbreak and the potential damage it could have on shenmue.

Thankfully for us, The Oculus seems to be in the spotlight at the moment.

I'm still very hopeful that Shenmue 3 will follow the same path as the xbox one did. Skeptical at first, accepted it and loved it in the end.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:25 pm

At least part of the media are publishing apologize and corrected articles, although they still point out the lack of communication from YsNet.

http://segmentnext.com/2016/01/07/shenm ... -scenario/
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Reprise » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 pm

ShenSun wrote:I'm still very hopeful that Shenmue 3 will follow the same path as the xbox one did. Skeptical at first, accepted it and loved it in the end.

There are people who love the Xbox One? :P
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III