Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:42 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote: They could include Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Daytona usa..

Wouldn't make sense if they're keeping in line with the relevant time period. The Saturn in the first game is an easter egg before anyone uses that as a retort ;-)

What about the Sonic capsule toys? Sonic didn't exist in 86/87 either and i wouldn't call the capsule toys easter eggs. They are featured more prominently than the Saturn.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: redline
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:08 am

GYO6161 wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote: They could include Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Daytona usa..

Wouldn't make sense if they're keeping in line with the relevant time period. The Saturn in the first game is an easter egg before anyone uses that as a retort ;-)

What about the Sonic capsule toys? Sonic didn't exist in 86/87 either and i wouldn't call the capsule toys easter eggs. They are featured more prominently than the Saturn.

Capsule toys can be chalked up to SEGA branding. Without including toys from Sonic, Virtua Fighter, NiGHTS, and the like, capsule toys would have been sparse and boring.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: redline
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Haruto » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm

Be neat if they added Panzer Dragoon,Golden Axe or SOR,Guardian Heroes stuff. Likely won't happen.

Haruto has received a thanks from: redline
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Centrale » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 pm

ShenGCH wrote:Capsule toys can be chalked up to SEGA branding. Without including toys from Sonic, Virtua Fighter, NiGHTS, and the like, capsule toys would have been sparse and boring.

So basically you're saying that everything that has already been in the games yet was outside of the game's timeline is justified... yet any other ideas to include games or other items outside of the game's timeline is not acceptable.

Centrale has received 2 thanks from: GYO6161, redline
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby redline » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:36 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
redline wrote: i wonder if they will have any new arcade games for shenmue 3?

If they're sticking to Yu Suzuki-designed games of the time period alone, the only remaining games are Enduro Racer, Super Hang-On, and After Burner II, all of which are not too dissimilar from their counterparts, so maybe they'll take inspiration from other arcade games and/or create their own, a la QTE Title and Excite QTE 2.

We know there's punch-ball and pinball machines in the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if the shift was directed towards those sorts of games compared to traditional arcade cabinets.

i really liked excite QTE. if they made 0.2 for shenmue 3 i would love that.

i was thinking that maybe in one of the future games, they incorporate the arcade gameplay into the main story.. ie you need to get a certain score to impress a kid and the game character shows you a location/item or something(?)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Centrale wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:Capsule toys can be chalked up to SEGA branding. Without including toys from Sonic, Virtua Fighter, NiGHTS, and the like, capsule toys would have been sparse and boring.

So basically you're saying that everything that has already been in the games yet was outside of the game's timeline is justified... yet any other ideas to include games or other items outside of the game's timeline is not acceptable.

No, that's not what I'm saying, but if we're talking about realism relative to the time period, capsule toys are trivial and have room for artistic license.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby darksniper » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:41 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Centrale wrote:

No, that's not what I'm saying, but if we're talking about realism relative to the time period, capsule toys are trivial and have room for artistic license.

It's not too late for Sega to slap their likeness on the game is it? After seeing their full-fledged support with I and II HD, I'd like to think that we'd see their logo somewhere in the game since it is a Sega IP.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:56 am

I saw a tweet by National Geographic about the The Fujian Tulou in my Twitter feed yesterday.

It reminded me how little we know yet about that part of Shenmue 3.

phpBB [video]

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Gen, Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Gen » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:53 am

Kiske wrote: I saw a tweet by National Geographic about the The Fujian Tulou in my Twitter feed yesterday.

It reminded me how little we know yet about that part of Shenmue 3.

phpBB [video]

Interesting that the people are called Hakka, since in the japanese version Bailu village is called "Hakka son" - Hakka village. I always wondered why they changed the name for the english translation.

Gen has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kiske
Gen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:14 am

I was thinking how cool it would be if Shenmue 3 featured a final location beyond Baisha that wasn't revealed in the Kickstarter, like Meng Cun or something. It's unrealistic to expect it given the monetary situation of Shenmue 3, but man, it would be awesome.

I love how I thought Shenmue 2 was ending with Kowloon, but the game threw me for a loop with Guilin, I didn't expect it and it was a pleasant surprise.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:22 am

Rikitatsu wrote: I was thinking how cool it would be if Shenmue 3 featured a final location beyond Baisha that wasn't revealed in the Kickstarter, like Meng Cun or something. It's unrealistic to expect it given the monetary situation of Shenmue 3, but man, it would be awesome.

I love how I thought Shenmue 2 was ending with Kowloon, but the game threw me for a loop with Guilin, I didn't expect it and it was a pleasant surprise.

Well, we've seen one image from the great wall, so maybe we'll have some more places apart from the three we know!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue May 01, 2018 11:20 am

Hazuki00 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: I was thinking how cool it would be if Shenmue 3 featured a final location beyond Baisha that wasn't revealed in the Kickstarter, like Meng Cun or something. It's unrealistic to expect it given the monetary situation of Shenmue 3, but man, it would be awesome.

Well, we've seen one image from the great wall, so maybe we'll have some more places apart from the three we know!

Good point, but while we know Bailu Village is in Guilin, we don't know where Chobou and Baisha are located. Perhaps one of them is very close to the Great Wall.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Good point, but while we know Bailu Village is in Guilin, we don't know where Chobou and Baisha are located. Perhaps one of them is very close to the Great Wall.

If Choubu and Baisha are adhering to the geographical locations of their IRL counterparts, they'll be in the Hunan and Fujian provinces respectively.

Guilin is in the Guangxi province, so it'd be a realistic passage of travel through these provinces over the course of the game.

However... none of these provinces are near the Great Wall. Well, the Great Wall we all know - which was to keep out the Mongolians.

There's actually a second Great Wall of China in the South that was used to keep out the Miao people, and it can be accessed from Fenghuang county; which Choubu is based on. It doesn't run into the Fujian province though, so I'm not sure if it's going to be used between Choubu and Baisha.

Ryo could return to Choubu after Baisha and set out on the Southern Great Wall from there. After all... it does lead to Shanghai which could well be where Shenmue IV starts.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: James Brown
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby James Brown » Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 pm

After just visiting Beijing, the Great Wall, Xian and Shanghai...Spag, you got me incredibly excited for Shenmue 4...getting way ahead of ourselves :D

James Brown has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed May 02, 2018 8:20 am

Having just checked the maps, you know what else is close to the Great Wall aside from Beijing?
Heibei province, home to Cangzhou city... And Meng Cun is a Cangzhou county!

Maybe we could be going to Meng Cun in Shenmue 3 after all :P

Well, whether it's in Shenmue 3 or 4, I'm excited about visiting that place... Not only it is important to Shenmue storyline, it's also a fascinating place. It's inhabitants are the ethnic minority Hui people, who are Chinese Muslims and the creators of Bajiquan. I'm betting it will be culturally distinct from the other Chinese villages and towns we'd visit.

Anyone here read the manga Kenji? Shenmue draws a lot from that manga, the protagonist travels to China in search of his grandfather, while learning martial arts in the process... He eventually visits Cangzhou, and Meng Cun (aka Meng Village) it looked like a very interesting place.

phpBB [video]

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: redline
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III