Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby darksniper » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:41 am

I wonder what phase of development the game is in at this moment. It's real difficult to say. If I had to guess it looks like it's in the function testing phase at this point.

darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:26 am

If I'm not mistaken, since Suzuki is using agile method, the game could be in any phase from the main production. As you know, they will be improving graphics almost till the release.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby johnvivant » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:52 am

i maintain that the dynamic camera angles during the conversions with npcs in s1 and 2 has never been surpassed by any other game with a similar 3rd person conversion system. i hope this returns for 3. considering how dynamic and context sensitive it is, it almost never glitches-out, which is very impressive. maybe that code could still work in 3, heres hoping.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:11 am

darksniper wrote: I wonder what phase of development the game is in at this moment. It's real difficult to say. If I had to guess it looks like it's in the function testing phase at this point.

We're in Main Production. Function testing was the accumulative work done through late 2015 and the majority of 2016 for the prototype.

johnvivant wrote: i maintain that the dynamic camera angles during the conversions with npcs in s1 and 2 has never been surpassed by any other game with a similar 3rd person conversion system. i hope this returns for 3. considering how dynamic and context sensitive it is, it almost never glitches-out, which is very impressive. maybe that code could still work in 3, heres hoping.

Yes, same. It's weird, but I really miss it in other dialogue-based games. I'm playing Vampyr at the moment and one of the things that bugs me is the static camera while talking (although you can move it around yourself).
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:58 am

^^Does that mean debugging is the last thing left if they are in main production? What they do in main production?
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:39 am

The_Intruder wrote: ^^Does that mean debugging is the last thing left if they are in main production? What they do in main production?

Main production is primarily building the game that will eventually ship. Pre-Alpha and Alpha software states basically.

Some of that is done in prototype, and we saw a lot of stuff like map planning, building basic versions of events, etc during that period, but the basics of what they planned to get done is the function testing stuff in that flow chart. It's about testing the game engine and how it accommodates the game design, figuring out what they have to build, tech to develop, etc.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 am

Spaghetti wrote:
The_Intruder wrote: ^^Does that mean debugging is the last thing left if they are in main production? What they do in main production?

Main production is primarily building the game that will eventually ship. Pre-Alpha and Alpha software states basically.

Some of that is done in prototype, and we saw a lot of stuff like map planning, building basic versions of events, etc during that period, but the basics of what they planned to get done is the function testing stuff in that flow chart. It's about testing the game engine and how it accommodates the game design, figuring out what they have to build, tech to develop, etc.

Wow thanks. You know so much about game development I'm impressed.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 pm

The_Intruder wrote:Wow thanks. You know so much about game development I'm impressed.

Nah, it's just based on stuff I've watched/read online and trying to apply it to what we know so far.

The flow chart is likely a very simplified version of what Ys Net have/are doing.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Haruto » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:01 pm

The chart isn't much different than any game development process.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Not exactly.

I can't for the life of me find the infographic I saw it on, but GDD and TDD usually come way earlier in the process for Waterfall development methods, which is still used for a lot of games.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 am

It's interesting that we've still yet to learn who will be publishing Shenmue 3 locally in Japan. My bets are on Marvelous or Atlus, though it would be nice if Sega could return for a reprisal.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:25 am

WildManofBorneo wrote: It's interesting that we've still yet to learn who will be publishing Shenmue 3 locally in Japan. My bets are on Marvelous or Atlus, though it would be nice if Sega could return for a reprisal.

Personally, I would put my money on SEGA as the Japanese publisher.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby redline » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 am

has there been any talk on how shenmue4 will be funded? will it be another kickstarter campaign?
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:29 am

redline wrote: has there been any talk on how shenmue4 will be funded? will it be another kickstarter campaign?

I don't suspect there will be a need if Shenmue III sales numbers are strong.

Shenmue I sold 1.2 million copies globally with a Dreamcast user base of 9 million. As of 2018 the PS4 user base is approaching 80 million, meaning that Shenmue III sales have far greater potential.

Edit: Sales Figures
Last edited by WildManofBorneo on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildManofBorneo

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:57 am

WildManofBorneo wrote:
redline wrote: has there been any talk on how shenmue4 will be funded? will it be another kickstarter campaign?

I don't suspect there will be a need if Shenmue III sales numbers are strong.

Shenmue I sold 2.4 million copies globally with a Dreamcast user base of 9 million. As of 2018 the PS4 user base is approaching 80 million, meaning that Shenmue III sales have far greater potential.

I think Shenmue 1 sold 1.2 million copies worldwide not 2.4m.

The_Intruder has received a thanks from: Kiske
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III