Do you think Shenmue 3 should keep its original graphics?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Do you think Shenmue 3 should keep its original graphics

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:51 pm

I love how shenmue looks, even today holds up quite well.

But I don't think YS will make the game look as "everything else", he knows where he is heading, and I think he'll deliver.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Telekill » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:51 pm

I suppose if they kept the graphics the same that could ease up development costs. That said, as it's been 14 years since the last game released, it is expected that the graphics would improve. I'm not saying that the graphics are good or bad... I'm saying that Shenmue doesn't need to rely on having the best of the best graphics like the newest CoD game. It's selling point isn't in the graphics (though maybe initially it was to some); the selling point for most of us is the continuation and hopefully ending to the story arc.

While I don't care if Shenmue III has Dreamcast graphic capabilities, the rest of the gaming community outside the fanbase would laugh at it and I highly doubt we would get Shenmue IV and a possible ending.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Jibby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:00 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: Not to mention they hired Kid Nocon, who seems to be extremely familiar with Unreal Engine. I'm sure he's not the only one on the team that is.

Have faith.

The game isn't going to look like an out-of-the-box Unreal Engine game. We're fretting over nothing. :D

Not to mention that Kid Nocon made his Shenmue HD videos in UE3, which as previously mentioned was pretty locked down when it came lighting and shading, but still managed to give it a near perfect Shenmue look and feel. Imagine what he'll be able to do with the options that UE4 gives to him!

We're dealing with a group of very talented people here, so I'm going to withhold judgement until they've actually had time to work their magic.
Last edited by Jibby on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby SMDzero » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:01 am

Imagine if they kept the DC graphics for Shenmue 3 but made the game 1080p 60fps zero slowdown and pop-in AND allowed hundreds of NPCS on screen as once.... :D
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:20 am

I think Nocon Kid's Hazuki Dojo video was UE4 if I'm not mistaken. It's definitely a big leap in quality than the other videos. It's also one of the few "old game recaptured in UE4!" videos that actually evokes the old game in question rather than just look like something spat out of UE4 with all default settings on.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:35 am

Spaghetti wrote: I think Nocon Kid's Hazuki Dojo video was UE4 if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, I think the Dojo video is UE4, but I remember in an interview Yu Suzuki said that the Dobuita one (which I find the be the most impressive) was made in UE3.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:53 pm

Jibby wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: I think Nocon Kid's Hazuki Dojo video was UE4 if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, I think the Dojo video is UE4, but I remember in an interview Yu Suzuki said that the Dobuita one (which I find the be the most impressive) was made in UE3.

I'll be honest, I don't think the Dobuita ones are his best work. They're mostly faithful recreations though, I'll admit. I just think the Hazuki Dojo one has the "Shenmue feel".

Definitely makes me think even moreso that a.) using UE4 is great for Shenmue 3, and b.) hiring Nocon Kid was a stroke of genius.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kuroioni » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:58 pm

I love the Shenmue I and II Dreamcast graphics. I always got a feel of anime mixed with realism in terms of the character models.

An awesome idea would be the option to change to Shenmue I/II graphics or the updated Shenmue III graphics kinda like NiGHTS into Dreams HD.
Kuroioni
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Yakuza 4

Postby darksniper » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:59 pm

I agree with the OP. Shenmue III's graphics look decent for it's current development phase, but it doesn't have the classic "Sega" look. I think Shenmue III would look much more authentic if it had the same graphics as Yakuza 6.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:38 pm

The graphics are currently way too early in development for us to even consider judging them.

Regarding the original question…sorry to be blunt, but coming out with DC-era graphics in 2016 would be retarded. Shibuya Prod & YS Net might officially be “doing this for the fans” blabla…but still expect this game to sell and compete with the rest/best of them. Opting for Unreal 4 is not only a no-brainer, but also walks in line with the Shenmue spirit of striving for the best graphics possible.

So no, I’m not complaining. Shenmue DC is dead. Long live Shenmue PS4.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:13 pm

*PC/PS4 8)

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous