ps4 - to buy or not to buy

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: ps4 - to buy or not to buy

Postby Telekill » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:15 pm

I've had my PS4 since launch and have had a blast. It's a great system with a great software library both already available and upcoming. The controller is also really comfortable. With the addition of Shenmue 3, the only series that I've loved over the years that's missing on PS4 is Dino Crisis.

Sadly, my time for playing all the games I want too just isn't there any more. Uncharted 4 will probably be the last new game I buy for months. Not due to a lack of great games, but simply due to a lack of time available to me to play games. I'm really looking forward to the release of Shenmue 3 and hope that a Shenmue HD collection is eventually released.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:49 am

I don't get those people who want maxed out graphics yet want to play it on console. An average PC has already outbeaten the last-gen consoles. And in two years...

-=SPZ=-47 has received a thanks from: Esppiral
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Telekill » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:45 pm

-=SPZ=-47 wrote: I don't get those people who want maxed out graphics yet want to play it on console. An average PC has already outbeaten the last-gen consoles. And in two years...

Average PC huh? I just bought a $600 Dell and it can't match my PS3 with the card it came with. The graphic card that will match my PS4 is $350 by itself when I checked about a month ago... the same cost as a PS4 that has everything necessary to run any game available for it.

I personally don't need the best of the best graphics by any means, but it's pretty simple to see why someone would want to save money and buy a single item (console) and not worry about if the thing will run the games that are made for it.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:50 pm

Buy an Xbox One. It has Titanfall.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Brian SII DC vs Xbox » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:44 am

I also pledged for the PS4 version but don't have a PS4. There are a couple of other games I might get for it but I'm just going to wait until Shenmue III is out before I buy a PS4.
Brian SII DC vs Xbox
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:33 am

Telekill wrote: ...I just bought a $600 Dell and it can't match my PS3 with the card it came with...

And it wont. Dell makes overpriced office machines, not gaming PC's. Christ... I don't want to start ps4 vs PC war but really... just don't buy a Dell machine for gaming.

Someone who wants to play the game just once or can't pick a gaming for 600$ PC go ps4.

One who wants to:
-play the game with better graphics
-play around with mods (perhaps even S1/S2 into S3 engine transition if no hd will be released)
-dig into game files
-create own mods
-play the game long AFTER the ps4 lifecycle without having to buy a rerelease or an old console (see S2 xbox360 rerererelease)

As for nygaard88 - since you baked for ps4 version - buy the console only when there are games you want to play on it. Otherwise wait until S3 gets released.
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Telekill » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:11 am

-=SPZ=-47 wrote:
Telekill wrote: ...I just bought a $600 Dell and it can't match my PS3 with the card it came with...

And it wont. Dell makes overpriced office machines, not gaming PC's. Christ... I don't want to start ps4 vs PC war but really... just don't buy a Dell machine for gaming.

Someone who wants to play the game just once or can't pick a gaming for 600$ PC go ps4.

One who wants to:
-play the game with better graphics
-play around with mods (perhaps even S1/S2 into S3 engine transition if no hd will be released)
-dig into game files
-create own mods
-play the game long AFTER the ps4 lifecycle without having to buy a rerelease or an old console (see S2 xbox360 rerererelease)

As for nygaard88 - since you baked for ps4 version - buy the console only when there are games you want to play on it. Otherwise wait until S3 gets released.

Fair enough.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby koalazeus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:41 pm

It is sensible to wait till closer to Shenmues release if you're not too interested in other games. Hopefully by that point it will be a very good price. I suspect there will be no Shenmue bundle edition though.

On the other hand playstation VR should be hitting this year and that shit looks amazing.
koalazeus
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Postby Esppiral » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12 am

I only have an Xbox One, and to be honest I don't like sony since the ps2.....( even though I own every sony console ever released until the ps4 came) so I don't know what to do, I like games like Uncharted or Ratchet, but I don't want to buy a sony console ever again (hi PSMorta)

So in my case I am going to save money and build a decent rig to play Shenmue 3 (and continue with my projects)
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:44 am

Not Shenmue related but the lack of free online on consoles is a huge step back. Consoles have still their arguments but they're too expensive for what it offers.

If YsNet manages to introduce an arcade cabinet, PC modding will definitely be interesting if you know what I mean... Xbox/modded DC buttons for QTEs are also sweeter than DS4 buttons.

The only thing I fear and hate about the PC is the yoyo framerate despite the Cédric's confidence about the optimization for Windows.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Ziming » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:54 am

Yokosuka wrote:
One thing that I fear and hate about the PC is the yoyo framerate despite the Cédric's confidence about the optimization.

They can always fix it with downloadable patches if such issues come up. It's easy to contact Cédric directly to relay such problems. Since this is a Japanese developed game shouldn't we expect more stringent protocol for debugging? To make sure the game is properly optimize for each platform.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Domosuke » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:23 pm

I finally bought myself a refurbished ps4 at gamestop couple weeks ago, as I thought it would be cheaper than modding a computer to play games on. But not for shenmue, but to play Gta v next gen which gamestop had on sale for 20 bucks. I said why the fuck not. No it wasn't cheap, but I felt as a shenmue fan wanting to play the latest game, I might as well buy one now.

Yeah I know I bitched and complained a month or so ago I didn't forget, and I still stand by that crap.

I played on the thing literally three times, I'm not a sony person, I don't like many sony games, all I play is basically WWF and GTA and Thief etc.. It's an alright system. I feel wealthy now, even though I'm not.
Domosuke

Postby fittersau » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:16 pm

If Shenmue 3 is the only game you are looking to play, then wait for end of 2017. Otherwise if other games catch your fancy, then buy and enjoy now. O:)

fittersau has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GameRoomsRising » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:07 pm

I bought a PS4 several months ago and I've loved it so far. I can't imagine how many hours I've put into Bloodborne, the REmake, and The Uncharted Collection; not to mention how many hours I will put into Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, Detroit, No Man's Sky, Doom 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, and of course Shenmue 3. I highly recommend the system.
GameRoomsRising

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby jasonorme666 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:58 am

Just see the PC version as the ultimate version, it will have better bug fixes, tweaks, mods and graphics.
You have to think that on a console the game looks as is, but on a PC you can use ENB's, SweetFX and use things like nVidia inspector to get much smoother Anti-aliasing.

The money would be better spent on a PC, the PS4 was out-dated on launch and is already very very outdated in comparison with PC.
But I'm getting a PS4 for Yakuza 0 & 6.. so will probably get Shenmue 3 for that as well.
jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III